Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one...?

Yes. It's a pain in the butt. I feel your pain, Blues!

I'm paranoid about it leaking, so i sorta rigged up a container underneath - it helps catch the water when you crack it open, and it makes it easy to observe if water is dripping after you change it (come back 30m later and see if any has pooled up).

I also hate the water softener salt.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

My water filter is located in a cramped space under a permanent workbench. It's hard to get leverage on one of the 1/4-turn valves and one of these days I'm going to snap off one of the pipes feeding those valves. All such devices should be located at waist level in a dedicated service closet IMHO.

Why oil filters are perfectly sturdy and cheap assemblies and water filters are brittle plastic leaky crap is one of the great questions of my life.

Yes, there is something better but you have to fab your own housing or repurpose one and that may not be worth it to you.

ETA: well some oil filters are cheap leaky plastic crap too these days. It's only holding my engine oil in, it'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Yes. It's a pain in the butt. I feel your pain, Blues!

I'm paranoid about it leaking, so i sorta rigged up a container underneath - it helps catch the water when you crack it open, and it makes it easy to observe if water is dripping after you change it (come back 30m later and see if any has pooled up).

I also hate the water softener salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    My water filter is located in a cramped space under a permanent workbench. It's hard to get leverage on one of the 1/4-turn valves and one of these days I'm going to snap off one of the pipes feeding those valves. All such devices should be located at waist level in a dedicated service closet IMHO.
    Mine's not quite so bad...it's located a couple of feet from my well pump and sits on top of a couple of pieces of 2x4 on the slab in my shop. When I begin unscrewing it, I put a paint roller tray beneath it to catch any water before I dump it into a 5 gallon bucket. When I reassemble it, I can see if any water drips down on to the 2x4's. (But usually it weeps into the top cap from the red relief valve until I can get it to stop.) I don't use any softeners.

I worry about snapping off one of the pipes as well. That would be no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I'm going to let my ignorance show but.....what? Am I the only one who's never heard of house water filters? I've never heard of it, I've never heard of a problem because of it, I've never seen my dad change any or hire someone to change any. None of my friends have this....I just asked!
    Most folks around here who live on a well and septic have a whole house water filter after the well pump to collect sediment, rust, and such. It keeps the water better for drinking, and allows the water heaters and washers etc to last longer. We have good water from our well, but this keeps things better...despite being a pain in the ass.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm going to let my ignorance show but.....what? Am I the only one who's never heard of house water filters?
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Most folks around here who live on a well and septic have a whole house water filter after the well pump to collect sediment, rust, and such.
    A nasty one that is (over)due to be changed is probably a better illustration of the concept:

Name:  Nasty.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  19.9 KB

it's located a couple of feet from my well pump and sits on top of a couple of pieces of 2x4 on the slab in my shop. When I begin unscrewing it, I put a paint roller tray beneath it to catch any water before I dump it into a 5 gallon bucket.
    Our unfinished basement is a key feature of our house, I couldn't imagine having floor covering in an area with the plumbing and such. Our's is close to the laundry sink, I just spill some on the way over. Probably should put all that metal in a bucket and take it into the yard, instead of putting it into the septic.

When I reassemble it, I can see if any water drips down on to the 2x4's. (But usually it weeps into the top cap from the red relief valve until I can get it to stop.) ... I worry about snapping off one of the pipes as well. That would be no bueno.
    I worry about breaking the old plastic drum, I never do mine when the big box is closed. And I have a pile of O-rings on hand.
    I have a second one that feeds the kitchen that doesn't get the same volume as the shower and the toilets, but it is over some stuff that I do not want to get wet and cannot remember the last time I changed it. How long the dishwasher takes to fill is not something that bothers me as much as lame volume from the showerhead...

Mine's not quite so bad...it's located a couple of feet from my well pump and sits on top of a couple of pieces of 2x4 on the slab in my shop. When I begin unscrewing it, I put a paint roller tray beneath it to catch any water before I dump it into a 5 gallon bucket. When I reassemble it, I can see if any water drips down on to the 2x4's. (But usually it weeps into the top cap from the red relief valve until I can get it to stop.) I don't use any softeners.

I worry about snapping off one of the pipes as well. That would be no bueno.

Most folks around here who live on a well and septic have a whole house water filter after the well pump to collect sediment, rust, and such. It keeps the water better for drinking, and allows the water heaters and washers etc to last longer. We have good water from our well, but this keeps things better...despite being a pain in the ass.
    Gotcha. That's not really a thing around here anymore. Most houses, even the very old ones are on township water and sewer. However, there has been a steady use of both well and septic in new McMansion developments construction. If they're a bit out of the way to run pipes the developer installs one gigantic septic tank and well. At this point they usually have underground propane tanks as well, instead of a constant feed of natural gas from the local energy company. This is kinda odd considering the high dollar properties.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Our unfinished basement is a key feature of our house, I couldn't imagine having floor covering in an area with the plumbing and such. Our's is close to the laundry sink, I just spill some on the way over. Probably should put all that metal in a bucket and take it into the yard, instead of putting it into the septic.

I worry about breaking the old plastic drum, I never do mine when the big box is closed. And I have a pile of O-rings on hand.
    I used to pour out the water in my shop sink years ago but then rethought that plan when I realized it couldn't be good for the septic. So I just take it outside and pour it near our drain field and wrap the old filter in plastic for disposal with our trash.

Yeah, I was going to do ours on Sunday, but even though Lowes is open and only 15 minutes away, I thought about worst case scenarios... and if I needed a plumber because something catastrophic occurred, it'd be better to do it during the week.

I keep a bunch of the appropriate o-rings on hand as well. I bought them at the same time that I figured out that there was something called a filter wrench, and that I didn't have to unscrew the canister by hand anymore.

Name:  whole house 1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  62.0 KB

Gotcha. That's not really a thing around here anymore. Most houses, even the very old ones are on township water and sewer. However, there has been a steady use of both well and septic in new McMansion developments construction. If they're a bit out of the way to run pipes the developer installs one gigantic septic tank and well. At this point they usually have underground propane tanks as well, instead of a constant feed of natural gas from the local energy company. This is kinda odd considering the high dollar properties.

I have a 500 gallon in-ground propane tank. But our propane usage is not very high. I pay about $55 per month on our budget plan...

I have a 500 gallon in-ground propane tank. But our propane usage is not very high. I pay about $55 per month on our budget plan...
    I don't know how it works, my comes directly from the power company. I know my friends bought a ginormous house last fall that has an in ground tank but I think they lock in at a specific price per gallon and that's what they pay when it gets refilled.

I don't know how it works, my comes directly from the power company. I know my friends bought a ginormous house last fall that has an in ground tank but I think they lock in at a specific price per gallon and that's what they pay when it gets refilled.

Yeah, we do the same...lock in the price for the year, that is. We also pay on the plan so that I very rarely have a balance remaining after a fill. Convenient, and they pay a very small amount of interest on the balance remaining in the account. We only need a couple of fills per year.

(We are not in anything nearing a McMansion.)

User Tag List