Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Chevron Deference rein in the ATF

Will Chevron Deference rein in the ATF

For the past few months, I have been hearing about Chevron Deference vs the Rule of Lenity for how the ATF interprets law.

I’m not a lawyer but my understanding is Chevron Deference was “created” in 1984 when the Supreme Court ruled that courts should follow an agency’s interpretation of a law that is ambiguous. This is what the ATF is saying gives them the power to change the definitions of federal law.

The rule of Lenity on the other hand is supposed to make the court interpret ambiguous laws in favor of the defendants or plaintiffs (if challenging a law) if criminal penalties are involved.
    On June 15 the Supreme Court overturned a lower court in a case called American Hospital Assn. v. Becerra. Many are saying that this decision has, for the most part, eliminated Chevron Deference.
    If this is true it should restrict the ATF in the way it enforces the NFA and other federal laws.
    Then today I found this.

Fifth Circuit Grants en Banc Review in Lawsuit Challenging Bump-Stock Ban and Chevron Deference

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-rele...vron-deference

The en banc court will consider two issues of exceptional importance: (1) doesthe statute’s definition of “machineguns” unambiguously include bump stocks?;and (2) if the statute is ambiguous, is ATF’s construction entitled to Chevron deference, or does the rule of lenity require interpreting any ambiguity inthis statute that has criminal applications in Mr. Cargill’s favor? The caseis calendared for oral argument in New Orleans, LA, on September 12. NCLA hasa similar case pending cert. at the U.S. Supreme Court in Aposhian v. Garland,et al.

https://nclalegal.org/cargill-v-garland/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    For the past few months, I have been hearing about Chevron Deference vs the Rule of Lenity for how the ATF interprets law.

I’m not a lawyer but my understanding is Chevron Deference was “created” in 1984 when the Supreme Court ruled that courts should follow an agency’s interpretation of a law that is ambiguous. This is what the ATF is saying gives them the power to change the definitions of federal law.

The rule of Lenity on the other hand is supposed to make the court interpret ambiguous laws in favor of the defendants or plaintiffs (if challenging a law) if criminal penalties are involved.
    On June 15 the Supreme Court overturned a lower court in a case called American Hospital Assn. v. Becerra. Many are saying that this decision has, for the most part, eliminated Chevron Deference.
    If this is true it should restrict the ATF in the way it enforces the NFA and other federal laws.
    Then today I found this.

Fifth Circuit Grants en Banc Review in Lawsuit Challenging Bump-Stock Ban and Chevron Deference

The Court didn't really reach the deference question in AHA because all the justices agreed that the statute wasn't ambiguous (something that is required to apply deference).

We've been pushing the rule of lenity vs. Chevron conflict in a number of amicus briefs (including in Cargill).

Site Supporter

Then today I found this.

ATF argues Chevron Deference give them the ability to interpret / apply the statutory definition of a machine gun with regard to bump stocks, not to change the statutory definition itself.

Like many Supreme Court cases this will come down to a philosophical conflict between “a living document” versus “strict interpretation.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ATF argues Chevron Deference give them the ability to interpret / apply the statutory definition of a machine gun with regard to bump stocks, not to change the statutory definition itself.

Like many Supreme Court cases this will come down to a philosophical conflict between “a living document” versus “strict interpretation.”
    On March 29, 2018, the Attorney General published
    a notice of proposed rulemaking regarding amendmentsto the definition of “machinegun” in three ATF regula-
    tions
    In my book amending the definition and changing a definition is the same.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    In my book amending the definition and changing a definition is the same.
    They’re amending the CFR rule - which is their official (but mutable) interpretation of the statutory definition- not the statutory definition itself.

You are looking at the wrong court case.

The yet to be released case regarding the EPA directly addresses whether the EPA (or any other agency) has the right to create 'law' on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They’re amending the CFR rule - which is their official (but mutable) interpretation of the statutory definition- not the statutory definition itself.
    So you are saying the statutory definition is different the their definition of the statute? If I'm an agency with the authority to change the interpretation of a statute then am I not changing the definition of the statute?

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    You are looking at the wrong court case.

The yet to be released case regarding the EPA directly addresses whether the EPA (or any other agency) has the right to create 'law' on their own.
    What case is that?

What case is that?
    West Virginia vs the EPA. It's been combined with numerous other cases but I think that is still the name. The decision is due out this week.

User Tag List