Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TX Sheriffs on Firearms Issue

Ammunition limits make no sense, and would be a significant problem for the shooting sports. I shot over 50,000 rounds in 2019. Of course those were reloaded, but a lot of competitive shooters buy bulk ammo.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Another police poll on armed teachers:

https://www.police1.com/school-safet...3d543-83999136

The negative comments are that one is helpless against a shooter with body armor and a long gun. Second, training is needed. The first needs more discussion, I don't think you are helpless. It's discussion about what the teacher can reasonably carry. Of course, one should train.

More on the watchlist/red flag discussion.

Colo. sheriffs, once skeptical, are putting red flag laws to use
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I know they only polled one state but as a whole Sheriffs arent always "cops". Here they're part of the court system. Prisoner transport (not prison guards), court security, some warrants, summonses.....etc. They have nothing to do with typical police work.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I know they only polled one state but as a whole Sheriffs arent always "cops". Here they're part of the court system. Prisoner transport (not prison guards), court security, some warrants, summonses.....etc. They have nothing to do with typical police work.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

That is not the case in TX. Even in large cities with large metro area police departments such as Houston, Austin, and San Antonio The county sheriffs office patrols both unincorporated areas and smaller municipalities which don’t have their own municipal police. The sheriffs here have full jurisdiction anywhere in the county including within municipalities that have their own police departments.

I’ve seen a few places where sheriffs officers don’t do a lot of patrol or criminal investigative work but while it might be true in your local area, I’ll bet many Sheriff’s Offices in your state are “full service” LE agencies.

While sheriffs offices often provide services to the court system pursuant to statutory or constitutional requirements, sheriffs are an independent elected office and are not a component or “under” the court system.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ammunition limits make no sense, and would be a significant problem for the shooting sports. I shot over 50,000 rounds in 2019. Of course those were reloaded, but a lot of competitive shooters buy bulk ammo.
    Good news most Sheriffs seem to agree with you.

The three disturbing ones to me:

That sheriffs seem confused - a SINGLE domestic violence conviction disqualifies you from buying firearms. So multiples make no difference. Law Enforcement should know this.

That sheriffs some how think centralized mental health records would be good.

Most disturbing, that sheriffs believe a PTSD diagnosis should disqualify from ownership. We know that stigma, concern about privacy, and concern about losing rights are all primary reasons people avoid seeking mental health care. This shows a complete lack of understanding of those dynamics and highlights the need for continued normalization of mental health care in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

That sheriffs seem confused - a SINGLE domestic violence conviction disqualifies you from buying firearms. So multiples make no difference. Law Enforcement should know this.

Most disturbing, that sheriffs believe a PTSD diagnosis should disqualify from ownership. We know that stigma, concern about privacy, and concern about losing rights are all primary reasons people avoid seeking mental health care. This shows a complete lack of understanding of those dynamics and highlights the need for continued normalization of mental health care in the US.
    Pretty much my take as well.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Good news most Sheriffs seem to agree with you.

The PTSD and mental health records answers, along with the terrorist watchlist answer are what concern me the most.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The PTSD and mental health records answers, along with the terrorist watchlist answer are what concern me the most.
    You know and that’s the thing I hear in veteran podcasts when suicide prevention comes up. Stay connected and say what is really going on is how to get help and not lose hope. Guys struggle with that. Heck, I’ve struggled with that and I’m a non-veteran.

Part of what has made folks reluctant is how they’ll be branded and what will happen to their life. Getting on a watchlist definitely seems like a deterrent.

Frustrating to see/hear this. Especially with the Republicans passing the latest legislation they have.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2022...-gets-it-wrong
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That is not the case in TX. Even in large cities with large metro area police departments such as Houston, Austin, and San Antonio The county sheriffs office patrols both unincorporated areas and smaller municipalities which don’t have their own municipal police. The sheriffs here have full jurisdiction anywhere in the county including within municipalities that have their own police departments.
    I am not certain, but I think that is how it works in GA as well. We have both in my small suburban town.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

User Tag List