Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .38 Ammo out of a 3-inch .38 revolver

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Couldn't agree more, that Gold Dot load and that Ranger load are the .38 +Ps I keep in stock.

I need to do a real deep dive of research on how safe it is to keep a cylinder of them in my 1968 Colt D-Frame and 1961 Model 36. I have a box of Norma Safeguard standard pressure but my confidence is basically 0% that load isn't just an FMJ.
    I went down the “+P rabbit hole” some number of years back, unearthing enough discussion around ammo of yesteryear (30s through 70s) being hotter than ammo of today—along with guys putting 10k +P rounds through airweight model 12s as an experiment—that I no longer have any concern about +P use in any steel gun made since Harry Truman was still a thing. I have 135 GDHP in my 3” model 36-1 in the safe as I type. That gun has had a lot of boxes of +P run through it since my dad bought it new in 1976. It’s still about the same as it always was, so far as I can tell. Still works, at any rate. JMO.

Here’s a Colt add from the 50s stating that the little D-frame can handle .38-44 loads—those loads were *far* beyond anything we are discussing from Doc’s list.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I went down the “+P rabbit hole” some number of years back, unearthing enough discussion around ammo of yesteryear (30s through 70s) being hotter than ammo of today—along with guys putting 10k +P rounds through airweight model 12s as an experiment—that I no longer have any concern about +P use in any steel gun made since Harry Truman was still a thing. I have 135 GDHP in my 3” model 36-1 in the safe as I type. That gun has had a lot of boxes of +P run through it since my dad bought it new in 1976. It’s still about the same as it always was, so far as I can tell. Still works, at any rate. JMO.

Here’s a Colt add from the 50s stating that the little D-frame can handle .38-44 loads—those loads were *far* beyond anything we are discussing from Doc’s list.
    That old ad is very cool and very reassuring. Thanks for posting.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Myself and Darryl both carry the 135gr +P Gold Dots in 3 inch guns. They do much better once you give them that extra inch or so of barrel.

FWIW, @5pins recent job looking at short barrel from a J-Frame has me pretty much sold on it as an excellent choice in all .38 Specials: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Ballistics-Gel

The consistency of it with proper ballistics gel of 12-14" of penetration and expansion to ~.55" is basically what I expect from LHP. That it performs well through heavy clothing and that bonded Gold Dot historically does well through intermediate barriers is also positive.

What about the ranger 110? It was designed for snubs but will it be good out of 3 inch?

Since we are talking .38

I use the Winchester Ranger 130gr +P load in my 340PD. Since some preferred ammo can be scarce, I am posting this link only as another option for self-defense ammo. It's expensive and I haven't used it.

https://www.buckinghorseoutpost.com/...per-box-53720/

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    What about the ranger 110? It was designed for snubs but will it be good out of 3 inch?
    If it’s not on Doc’s list, I’d be cautious, especially regarding appropriate penetration. Plus, 110 *may* not hit to sights very well. But it’s probably way better than nothing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    If it’s not on Doc’s list, I’d be cautious, especially regarding appropriate penetration. Plus, 110 *may* not hit to sights very well. But it’s probably way better than nothing.
    The 130-grain stuff (on Doc's list) is available relatively cheaply.

What list is it on? I’ve only ever seen GDHP under .38. Maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong place?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The 130-grain stuff (on Doc's list) is available relatively cheaply.
    Looks like you just sold some ammo for them.

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    What list is it on? I’ve only ever seen GDHP under .38. Maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong place?
    Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-ACP-vs-38-Sp

User Tag List