Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damned Yellowjackets...

A lot of pest control guys like to use a wet-dry vacuum with soapy water in the tank (they drown.) You can definitely loose some hours of your life watching on YouTube, it's... oddly compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Yellowjackets and I have shared a hate-hate relationship since I was a kid. I've been stung enough that the hate has only grown over the years, to the point where, like @blues, I'm into complete annihilation.
    Ditto on all counts. Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber works great on them (as well as any other insect or arachnid).

As a kid I'd sit with my grandmother on her back porch, and she'd keep a can of Aqua Net hairspray handy. When those winged devils would show up, a squirt of that sticky stuff would drop them -- it stuck their wings together, and we'd have the sweet pleasure of stomping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Also, I can highly recommend the Spectracide pro Wasp and hornet killer. I’ve probably killed 20-30 Yellowjacket nests with it over the last few years and it works well, and is usually one of the cheapest options on the shelf at the local Home Depot or Lowes.
    Long retired from a local utility, but the employees who worked outdoors routinely carried spray canisters of "Bee Bopper" from spring through fall. Shot a stream around 20 feet, and worked a number on bees and their stinging cousins. Sort of "bear spray for bugs".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've had enough experience with them over the years that they just get my ire up...and I don't rest until I wipe 'em out. If they want to live somewhere we don't walk or visit regularly, I can leave 'em be. But otherwise, I let 'em know that "I'm coming, and hell is coming with me!".
    I'm the same way with pests around my house yard...be it mice, wasps/yellowjackets, armadillos, etc. If you want to coexist peacefully...you living inside the treeline, and me over here...I'm good with that. Once you violate my space, I become Al Capone in "The UnTouchables"...

I've probably dumped enough insecticide and pest control products into my yard/house that my lot will probably be classified as an EPA Superfund site if we ever decide to sell.

Site Supporter
    I told my wife if I could sustain our lifestyle doing it. I’d be perfectly content in live massacring yellow jackets every day.

I was almost stung to death as a child.

https://throwflame.com

I’m ready. Put me in the game coach.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Twenty years ago I was working a Forest Service job which had me hiking miles everyday to different locations in the White Mountain National Forest. I had just finished descending five or so miles from a fire tower and was less than 100 yards from the truck when I was stung on my ankle just above the sock. After the useless swatting and cursing, I finished the walk and was back in the truck and driving down a fairly steep road when I felt another sting on the same ankle.
    All I could think about was Max Cady from Cape Fear…fucker must have hung on, somewhere in my clothes and was trying to finish me off by making me lose control of the truck.
    I did finally kill it.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Nothing stirring in the gutter today.

Survivors are probably sitting around a table drinking beers, licking their wounds and telling war stories...on somebody else's property.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Speaking of retribution

Several years ago they had an underground nest in my back yard, and got me once or twice when I was mowing, as is their style. I took a small propane torch used for burning weeds, that has a three foot wand and spews a small flame and laid siege to the entrance, burning a few dozen per minute as they came in and out. The little smoke trails they left as they went down in flames was very satisfying.

Apparently this never set off their alarms as it seemed like they maintained their regular traffic flow. After about 45 minutes I was getting bored, and the propane cylinder went dead, but the flow of yellow jackets never slowed. I came back after dark and finished them with either a bit of gas or spray directly in the hole.

User Tag List