Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Agencies Are Using The Beretta 1301-T

A pretty decent sized local agency is discussing, looking at getting @30 1301s and issuing them just to those who want to learn them. And teach, train that crew to use them well. I hope they're successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    The 1301 is really the first semi auto to be widely adopted by the defensive shotgun community. The reliability is what really set it apart.
    I'd offer that the Remington Model 11 was the first "clued in guy" semi-automatic shotgun. We're just now rediscovering the value of an utterly reliable semi-automatic shotgun.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'd offer that the Remington Model 11 was the first "clued in guy" semi-automatic shotgun. We're just now rediscovering the value of an utterly reliable semi-automatic shotgun.
    Interesting 1905 to 1947
    Wonder why it was discontinued?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I think you all are forgetting about the Benelli's (121, M1, M4) service in LAPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I think you all are forgetting about the Benelli's (121, M1, M4) service in LAPD.
    Wasn't widely adopted by the civilian defensive shotgun community because they weren't as reliable with lighter loads often used in the private sector training market.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Interesting 1905 to 1947
    Wonder why it was discontinued?
    They were expensive to make compared with the post-war guns, and not without some... "issues."

Most of the ones I fooled with as a youngster had repaired forends... and/or forends held together with some sort of field expedient. The forend was an important component on them, but it was pretty thin in some areas; one wonders how modern synthetics might have done.

The big bugbear was that you had to assemble the friction rings one way for heavy loads and one way for light loads (if the owner had installed a Poly-Choke or Lyman with a comp, there was some other consideration I no longer remember). With the friction rings placed right for the loads you were going to use and the gun wasn't under- or over-lubed, they were pleasant, reliable big old guns that would lay down a barrage without worrying about short-stroking or otherwise bobbling a pump. For a kid who didn't get to practice much shotgunning, it was an easy gun to run shells through, though not necessarily easy to maintain. I don't think most owners liked to detail strip them, because the local gunsmiths would be swamped with them before the hunting seasons started.

Locally, the 11-48 and then 1100 replaced them not because they really worked any better, but because the streamlined upstarts made the Browning-patent old school autoloaders seem like antiques.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 06-26-2022 at 05:08 PM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    They were expensive to make compared with the post-war guns, and not without some... "issues."

Most of the ones I fooled with as a youngster had repaired forends... and/or forends held together with some sort of field expedient. The forend was an important component on them, but it was pretty thin in some areas; one wonders how modern synthetics might have done.

The big bugbear was that you had to assemble the friction rings one way for heavy loads and one way for light loads (if the owner had installed a Poly-Choke or Lyman with a comp, there was some other consideration I no longer remember). With the friction rings placed right for the loads you were going to use and the gun wasn't under- or over-lubed, they were pleasant, reliable big old guns that would lay down a barrage without worrying about short-stroking or otherwise bobbling a pump. For a kid who didn't get to practice much shotgunning, it was an easy gun to run shells through, though not necessarily easy to maintain. I don't think most owners liked to detail strip them, because the local gunsmiths would be swamped with them before the hunting seasons started.

Locally, the 11-48 and then 1100 replaced them not because they really worked any better, but because the streamlined upstarts made the Browning-patent old school autoloaders seem like antiques.
    Thank you for passing that along.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    The Remington Model 11 was in use a bit before the Benelli
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Sorry I have Benelli on the brain......."all your Benelli are belong to me!"

I thought the Benelli was the clued in user, semi auto shotgun of choice for decades. What you didn't do was screw a side saddle on and torque the receiver, use them as a hammer to drive stakes, or hang pounds of stuff on them. I took a Benelli to Zambia in the 90's on a lion hunt for back-up, and have had one, stuffed with Brenneke slugs propped inside the door of our remote cabin for years.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List