Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun/pistol match

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Before the last popper would make more sense.
    Hence counting rounds so you knew when you needed to shuck another shell or two into the tube.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Hence counting rounds so you knew when you needed to shuck another shell or two into the tube.
    Not counting rounds - pausing and reloading a round (or two or three) before you hit the last popper that triggers the thrown aerial target is just good sense for running the stage, if you know it’s going to do that. Doesn’t matter if the last shell in he gun at that moment is in the chamber, or if there are already several still in the tube.

I’m going to have to partly disagree. Pausing mid-array is essentially a standing reload. Not something I would want to do as part of my stage plan.

This is hard to discuss without an actual stage to use as an example, but say you had an array of 6 KDs in the first array directly downrange from the start position, then lateral movement of 10-15’ to array 2 where there are 3 poppers 1 of which activates the clay flipper.

Let’s say the division I’m shooting has a max capacity of 8+1 at the start signal. After shooting the first array I should be down 6 with 1 in the chamber and 2 left in the tube. If I went straight to engaging the poppers & clay in array 2 I’d be in the situation of being one short with the bolt locked back which adds an extra second to the reload unless you’re shooting one of those Brownings where the bolt trips forward when you slap the loading gate. So I would plan my stage so that when moving from array 1 to array 2 I’d shove in a double stack (but probably 2 stacks if there is a 3rd array after the poppers) so I have enough to engage the poppers & clay in the next array. Maybe this is the equivalent of your ‘pausing and reloading a round or three’. For me, it’s keeping track of how many shells I’ve shot and how many more I need to load.

I shot USPSA Single Stack division for a few years and the general rule of thumb is reload whenever you move. Since the round count in SS is similar to shooting a shotgun, I kind of do the same thing and start shoving in pairs of shells whenever I’m moving to the next position. Knowing how many pairs to shove in depends on how many have been shot to that point so I’m not wasting time trying to cram more into the tube than it will take.

User Tag List