Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Beavis and Butthead movie

Beavis and Butthead debuted when I was in junior high, and I of course loved it. My folks, on the other hand, were pretty adamant that I not be allowed to watch it.

So imagine my surprise when I come home after my first year at college and find Dad watching it and laughing his ass off. I said "I thought you hated that show." He replied "Nah, you were just too young for it then. You ain't now, go get us a couple beers from the fridge and let's watch."

I re-watched a lot of the episodes in my 30s, and was amazed at all the subtle (and frankly, not-so-subtle) jibes in the show. It really wasn't about how dumb B&B were. That was patently obvious. The point Mike Judge was making is that 95% of the rest of the world is just as dumb, they just think they aren't. The episode where Beavis gets strung out on coffee and goes full Cornholio in the coffee shop, only to be offered a scholarship by a local English professor for his 'genius' poetry, is savagely poignant even today.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    I remember going to the theater to see the first one with a buddy when we were in high school.

I'm down to watch this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Beavis and Butthead debuted when I was in junior high, and I of course loved it. My folks, on the other hand, were pretty adamant that I not be allowed to watch it.

So imagine my surprise when I come home after my first year at college and find Dad watching it and laughing his ass off. I said "I thought you hated that show." He replied "Nah, you were just too young for it then. You ain't now, go get us a couple beers from the fridge and let's watch."

I re-watched a lot of the episodes in my 30s, and was amazed at all the subtle (and frankly, not-so-subtle) jibes in the show. It really wasn't about how dumb B&B were. That was patently obvious. The point Mike Judge was making is that 95% of the rest of the world is just as dumb, they just think they aren't. The episode where Beavis gets strung out on coffee and goes full Cornholio in the coffee shop, only to be offered a scholarship by a local English professor for his 'genius' poetry, is savagely poignant even today.

I can just see you and your dad laughing so hard you spill your beers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    One of the high lights from my FTO days was that we could watch Beavis and Butthead while out boots were writing reports. He he he
    Circa 2001 or so, the Saturday morning ritual was for the west side beat cars to hit yard sales on our side of the city (Day Shift problems). I scored a complete VHS compilation of every episode, about 20 tapes total, for $3. I need to go see if we still have a VCR stashed in the garage and fire it up for nostalgia.

My Big Brothers/Big Sisters little brother in Philadelphia enlisted in the Marines in late 1996. My son (then 8) and I went down to have a last blast with him before he shipped off to Parris Island - a nice dinner and a movie. We went to see the Beavis and Butthead movie. My son had already seen Space Jam so the story for my wife was that he loved it so much he wanted to see it again, so that’s the movie we had seen. My son filled me in on Space Jam so I could lie about it convincingly enough. It wasn’t until several years later that my son spilled the beans, and only after HER PARENTS had taken my son and daughter, maybe 10 and 7, to one of the Austin Powers movies, which made me Ward Cleaver by comparison.

It was about 1993, I had vaguely heard of the show, and one night I randomly came across it while channel surfing. B&B were watching a Donny Osmond video. I remember something like “didn’t his dad kill the president. You know, Lee Harvey Osmond.” And something about the Moron Tabernacle Choir. I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe, and was hooked. I put B&B up there with the greatest artistic achievements of the second half of the 20th century.

Looking forward to the new movie. My son will be down over the July 4th weekend and he wants to watch it together.

Site Supporter
    It’s on the YouTube’s bootleg style, which seems appropriate for some reason.

“Would you like to see my portfolio?”

I have been so excited for this movie. I didn't realize it was already out. Anything Mike judge does is pure gold in my book.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    It was about 1993, I had vaguely heard of the show, and one night I randomly came across it while channel surfing. B&B were watching a Donny Osmond video. I remember something like “didn’t his dad kill the president. You know, Lee Harvey Osmond.” And something about the Moron Tabernacle Choir. I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe, and was hooked. I put B&B up there with the greatest artistic achievements of the second half of the 20th century.
    FOUND IT!

Site Supporter

I liked your dad before... Mucho Más respect now...

My mom graduated from Mike Judge' High School. Bevis and Butthead and Ren and Stimpy were sooo much deeper than presented. Like Loony Tunes and Tom and Jerry from the late 30s to WWII. Or pre war-during war Popeye @Tamara....

pat

Not likely to pay the premium for Paramount+.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It’s on the YouTube’s bootleg style, which seems appropriate for some reason.

“Would you like to see my portfolio?”
    Yeah, you're right, that's 100% appropriate

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List