Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s your revolver range bag(s)/kit look like?

What’s your revolver range bag(s)/kit look like?

I’m thinking of revamping how I carry my considerable amount of “stuff” to the range.

One thing that always goes along is my Husky tool tote. The side pockets are great for tools and accessories, the main compartment will accommodate boxed ammo, targets (B8 & B3), and a couple of cased or holsters revos with 4” or shorter barrels. It holds an amazing amount of stuff.

Bulk ammo is in a GI 30-caliber ammo can. The can contains a bag for empty brass that gets dumped after each trip. That way I don’t need a separate carrier for it.

Now that’s the bare minimum for a trip to the indoor range. If it’s more than the 2 shorter revos, there’s another soft range bag or even a hard pistol case, and, on rare occasions, the old Pachmayr Bullseye box.

If there’s load testing to be done outdoors, add another bag for the chrono and a bucket for the old Lyman BR tripod and sandbags.

The goal is to free-up hands and reduce trips to-and-from the truck. I see shoulder straps in my future.

I’ve looked at range bags ad nauseam. The soft-sided stuff the hipsters carry just don’t look revolver friendly. The only accessories they seem to accommodate are magazines.

What’s the revo-hive using?

Honestly, I carry very little. My range has targets, but I’ll often pull used targets out of the trash can. I keep a 100 packs of shoot-n-see targets in my trunk, along with hearing protection. 99% of my shooting is done with my carry gun, and that’s on me. That leaves a box of ammo in my hand. I like to travel light, and the range has tools.

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Multi-pocket medium size backpack(don't remember make / model) here. Ammo can and a hard case for up to 6 pistols goes in the main pocket. Eyes and ears for the family in the largest outside pocket. Assorted tools and odds & ends in other pockets. Rolled targets in an outer mesh drink pocket. Always amazing (or, really, not) how much lighter it is less loaded ammo at the end of session :-) Not sure that helps with chrono etc but for just shooting gets everything on the range, on one back, in one trip.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

My Tacoma is a rolling target shed/ range house. I back it up to the line and drop the tailgate...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    I have a long-discontinued Dillon Precision range backpack that I won by raffle at the '99 IDPA Nationals. Basic stuff - ears, stapler, timer, range rod, gunsmith hammer, a compartmented case with various-size bore brushes and jags (and yes, a slotted tip), patches and Q tips, etc., and CLP of some flavor - remain in there all the time. There is a separate compartment for magazines which gets filled according to the gun(s) I'm going to be shooting; speedloaders go in there for revolvers. If I'm going to be shooting a gun other than the one I'm carrying, it goes in a pistol rug and gets stuck in there. Targets fit nicely under the back seat of my pickup. Long guns in soft cases fit nicely under there too.

After I'm done shooting a revolver, the bore and chambers get brushed out, as does the area under the extractor star for double-action guns. There are at least three toothbrushes in there.

Coincidentally, I'm headed to the range with two revolvers in about 15 minutes. For this range... close by, pistol only, targets provided, staplers on hand... I don't need a lot. Everything just went in a 10-year old HK range bag, don't see it on their current offerings but it's about a 7x12 main compartment which gets the revolvers in a gun rug; and large outer pockets on both long sides, one gets ear pro and the other has a couple screwdrivers, very basic cleaning stuff (patches/brush/etc), a notebook and a couple pencils, and a small plastic bag of Clif bars. For a low round count night like tonight, ammo goes right in the main compartment. For a longer session, it goes in a separate ammo can.

For the rifle range, where I usually also shoot some revolver, I need to bring targets, stapler, and a few other things. There's a rubbermaid tub downstairs with all that stuff plus a spotting scope and other odds and ends. I can drop the above mentioned range bag and ammo can on top of it and carry everything inside in one trip. It's set up that way because on my RSO days I've watched too many guys go back and forth 10 times hauling gear, and then look worried they're forgetting something on the way back out later. A little painful to watch.

We used to have an old guy, a former PPC shooter, at the pistol range who had one of those old wooden range boxes. Intricate thing which kind of fascinated me. Don't have time to search right now, but they weren't hard to find on the internet when I looked a while back, apparently they were once common.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    We used to have an old guy, a former PPC shooter, at the pistol range who had one of those old wooden range boxes. Intricate thing which kind of fascinated me. Don't have time to search right now, but they weren't hard to find on the internet when I looked a while back, apparently they were once common.
    You mean like this?

I guess I could start using it for everyday range duty. It’s kinda heavy & awkward to carry.

I never thought of just keeping my targets in the truck[emoji849]

Yes, I’m trying to avoid being “that guy” who makes 10 trips to the truck.

I’m thinking a couple of these to carry bulk ammo:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/13755

And a little bit bigger tool tote with a shoulder strap.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    You mean like this?
    Pretty similar to that, yeah. John's may have been a little older, he was a Korean War vet, would be over 90 now if he were still alive. I did always wonder about all those sharp corners and edges, could hurt to smack that into a leg... it looked like a piece of history though and I regret not asking him about it in all those hours we talked about shooting.

So it was a good thing the usual things were in my bag, managed to somehow cut my weak hand thumb tonight. Not sure how and not at all serious, but having band-aids right there in the range bag meant I could just take care of it and get right back to shooting, instead of breaking out the range kit.

What does my range bag look like? A 5 gallon bucket.

I started with a bucket a long time ago, then somewhere along the way someone got me one of those hard, green MTM range boxes. I has a removable tray that will hold several pistols. Ammo and other items store underneath, in all it works well until you start adding Cronos, tripods and such. I do have a small soft range bag I got from Colt when I bought a new 1911. It works for several pistols and ammo as well but that is all it does "good".

It is hard to give up my bucket, targets fit around the curvature, crono stands up along the wall, ammo sits in the bottom, holstered or cased guns sit on top of that. Staple gun and cleaning kit gets tucked into the empty spaces. The bail of the bucket fits up between the legs of the tripod so it sits across the top of the bucket. Brass gets dumped into the bucket. Only negative to this set up is that it can get heavy.

MTM box

I staged a photo of the range bucket

User Tag List