Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basement Flooring Options

Basement Flooring Options

Due to a water leak the existing carpet needs to be removed.

What type of flooring would you recommend, subfloor is cement slab?

What do you do with your basement? Is it a living space, home gym, storage space, etc? I recently replaced the carpeting in my house with Pergo Outlast laminate flooring. The installation was pretty quick once we got the hang of it. The hardest part was making the irregular cuts around doorways. It’s scratch resistant and water resistant. They advertise a decent warranty as long as you completed the installation per the instructions including sealing the edges where the floor meets the wall with silicone caulk.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I was very happy with price and quality of the LVP I purchased from https://americanflooringcorp.com/pro...ry/commercial/

Used the thick commercial stuff for refurbing a rental property. Pad pre-attached. Feels great under foot. Easy to install. Looks great.

Had some damage during shipping. Seller replaced promptly, but, allow at least 1 week between delivery and installation just in case something needs to be re-shipped.

Had a relative replace bamboo flooring with LVP in their high end kitchen. They paid a lot more (more than 2x) and the quality is not half as good (non-commercial grade).... The boards flex when you walk on it.

Talking with Wife about LVP when we refurb our main level.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    If customers aren't trying to save money and stay with carpet, we always recommend LVP in basements. The "good" options really jump from LVP to tile - hardwood's a poor choice. Too susceptible to moisture and buckling.

That's the short answer, I can pontificate if you like.

Site Supporter
    Another thought.... I have no idea about the cost for polished concrete, but, spent some time in a house with concrete floors recently and I really liked it. Even Wife begrudgingly approved of the floors after many times poo-pooing the idea. They had really nice dark gray soapstone countertops that went really well with the floors.

Definitely need to be sealed to prevent staining.
    Very neutral so, easy to change appearance with area rugs, etc.

When I have my next basement, LVP for sure, unless someone invents something better in the next few years.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

We went with LVP in a bathroom and won't use laminate again. Very happy with it.

We did go with tile for our foyer this year and, sample of one, pro tile setters are not what they used to be. If we need tile, I'll do it myself. With LVP, we won't need tile.

My basement flooded a few years ago and I faced the same choice. First, be sure to seal the concrete and fill any cracks before applying flooring.

After much research I went with Lifeproof flooring from Home Depot. It cheap but the pad is attached and once you get the hang of it it’s pretty easy to install. While they don’t recommend it, it’s rigid and thick enough that you can use a jigsaw to cut odd angles and trim under doors. It does eat blades.

Comes with a lifetime warranty when installed in a residence. I have larger dogs and have had zero scratches on the flooring. Liked it so much I installed it in the entire house except the bedrooms because the kids wanted carpet. I was able to connect it across two bathrooms, several closets, hallway, den, dining room, kitchen and mud room. Looks like one seamless piece. Highly recommend.

I did an epoxy on the concrete. I really like it, but the basement is "man cave".

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I did an epoxy on the concrete. I really like it, but the basement is "man cave".
    Your man cave is amazing. So jealous…
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

We did sheet vinyl on our concrete floor basement about 15 years ago. It flooded once before we had the install. I took care of the flooding with drainage upgrades so nothing since that happened. The room is used as a man cave (reloading) and an entertainment area (big screen) for me better half. So far no issues. It's easy to clean (we had dogs) and I can vacuum up powder and primers. I had a telephone repair guy ask about it because he was looking at finishing a basement with a concrete floor. He said it looked like tile. They have some amazing textures and patterns that will take a close look to know what it is. He thought that was his answer. So far it's worked very well for us.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-22-2022 at 08:13 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List