Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Love / hate 11” 5.56

Brakes are notoriously bad on SBRs. They’re good for running full suppressed but definitely painful if you’re not. I have a 10.3, 10.5, and 11.5 and had another 11.5 and 12.5. All of this except the 12.5 have flash hiders for a reason. When I get enough cans that I can run dedicated suppressed guns, I may switch but until then, I’m swapping one can on a bunch of uppers so I don’t want any that are that painful to shoot with the suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surefire Warcomp is the closest thing to a break I can stand on the short barrels.

Took and AR class with my 9mm SBR. We sighted in prone at 50 yards. My "neighbor" was running a 5.56 SBR. Not so much fun for moi. One of these day I'll get an 8" 300 BLK upper despite the fact that I have no need.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Attachment 90433

It’s a Rugged brake for the quick release Razor suppressor.

I was planning on running it suppressed but wanted to try it out unsuppressed… so easy to shoot with the brake, but so obnoxious!!

Outdoors even. I wasn’t brave enough to do it indoors.

“It’s a Rugged brake…”

Name:  8908F4B8-22D7-4BEA-B17A-E49EC920ADC8.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  43.6 KB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I use the mini flash hider YHM QD muzzle devices on mine for that reason. I don't have brakes on any I dont think

I love my shorties and I love my 11.5 shorty the best.

My first shorty was a 10.5 with a Battlecomp. A Battlecomp on a 20” barrel is a pussycat. On a 16” barrel, it’s much like an A2 birdcage.

On a 10.5”, it’s ferocious! Not like a full on brake, but Blessed Bovine of Divinity, the fireball was about the size of a softball and very bright! Behind the trigger, the muzzle blast was nothing, but anywhere else, it was punishing. Everyone around me made comments. Now, I use a suppressor on my 11.5 and it’s real joy to shoot. The best non suppressor muzzle device I’ve tried on a shorty is the BRT Covert Comp, bar none. The Battlecomp now resides on a 20” upper.

I love my shorties. I love how easy they are to carry, deploy, handle and shoot. I love the reliability and the soft recoil. There’s nothing about them I hate.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

My 12.5 5.56 has a YHM mini brake on it. Stupid loud with a stunning fireball at night. It's also very flat shooting.

It's basically too loud to use without a can which is why a Turbo K is always on the end.

Brake if it's gonna be ran suppressed all the time, flash hider if you're gonna run it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Brake if it's gonna be ran suppressed all the time, flash hider if you're gonna run it both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    They’re good for running full suppressed but definitely painful if you’re not. I have a 10.3, 10.5, and 11.5 and had another 11.5 and 12.5. All of this except the 12.5 have flash hiders for a reason. When I get enough cans that I can run dedicated suppressed guns, I may switch but until then, I’m swapping one can on a bunch of uppers so I don’t want any that are that painful to shoot with the suppressor.
    Can you guys help me out? Do you feel that you still get some brake function even with a suppressor or do you like it for the extra sound baffling?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can you guys help me out? Do you feel that you still get some brake function even with a suppressor or do you like it for the extra sound baffling?
    I think it depends on the design of the brake but many (Surefire comes to mind) will act as a sacrificial baffle and absorb some wear instead of the can. There are some that will argue they increase the suppression by a smidge as well (1db). I think general consensus is that suppressors add a bit of recoil. I haven't shot mine back to back enough to have noticed yet. Usually I just keep it on the whole time I shoot now.

User Tag List