Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lessons on Defensive Flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Thanks, if these will work on SureFire 6PX Tactical , I will order several.
    They will not, but these will - https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=579

Note that this tailcap does NOT have the lock-out feature where you can back the tailcap off far enough to prevent accidental activation. It does however use a copper plunger, which makes for a more reliable electrical connection.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Getting the Switch Right

As you may have figured out by now, I'm a huge proponent of using momentary switching for lights intended for self-defense ("fight lights"). Everything from flash-and-dash tactics to not having the light constant-on should it be dropped are among the reasons for this.

At the same time, having the ability to click to constant-on is a nice option to have. The issue has always been that most "clicky" switches are too easy to click making unintended clicks to constant-on a problem.

I have been experimenting with different tailcap designs for a long time. I've found the "semi-shrouded" design to be a good place to start for easy momentary activation while minimizing the chances of an inadvertent click. Though I got closer to what I wanted, I was never fully satisfied with the results.

Recent experimentation with the Lumens Factory E2T tailcap and refitting it with a low, medium-press boot was a breakthrough. The lower boot just barely protrudes past the retaining ring and adds just enough resistance that a normal press with the "meat" of the thumb activates momentary operation but is almost impossible to press far/hard enough to get a click. Here is the set up on my own EDC light that has served as a test bed for experimentation;

Based on my experience, it requires a press with the tip of the thumb to get a click. If the thumb is positioned normally over the switch, momentary is all I get. Perfect!

So finally a tailcap that works as momentary only and requires a purposeful repositioning of the thumb to click to constant-on (two hands are not required like the typical "twisty" tailcap).

All of my builds using this tailcap are now set up this way.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List