Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supply chain issues getting worse?

Supply chain issues getting worse?

I’m hearing rumors of new shortages.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m hearing rumors of new shortages.
    In my industry (construction materials), it has been getting worse.

My department has been spending a good 30% of our time trying to find substitutes and testing/evaluating for components that we can no longer get or suppliers have shut down or orders canceled. Lots of stuff is not coming from overseas anymore and US manufactured components are struggling to find workers that will come to work sober.

My wife's industry is getting a visit from a Senator because they are a critical industry and they are tapped out. (Electrical distribution)

I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

Site Supporter
    Name of the game in healthcare. I don't envy the logistics guys where I work.

Even before the pandemic it sucked.

Labor shortage is better for us though.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Been trying to get the standing seam roofing material for our home for the past couple of months. It has been delayed a few times with the latest "promise date" next week. We will see.

I would not be too concerned except the old roof has been pulled, the new underlayment in place, and storm season is coming in the next few months. And my insurance company will not renew our policy if we do not have a new roof by October. The insurance company is the only reason for the new roof as the latest wind mitigation report showed a minimum of three more years of useful life for the roof that just got peeled. I love insurance companies.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Mid 2020 I started taking completion dates out of our contracts. I told customers I will get you in your home as quickly as possible, but there's just too much that's out of my hands to promise anything before we've even started. Mid 2022 it's only worse. It's quite literally every product in the home at this point. You want to go to my vendors or Lowes and pick what's in stock, no problem. You want to order something we've never used before? It'll get here when it gets here.

Our contracts also say we can "substitute spec'ed building materials with comparable materials without consultation to expedite construction. Buyers will be consulted if color selections are affected." That's not as dramatic as it sounds - that just means I can make a last minute change to Certainteed .044" siding instead of Mastic .044" siding without asking (assuming you hadn't picked a very specific color). My contract also says I can make judgment calls on matching color products across brands, but I've never liked to do that outside of normal white, black, and clay items. You end up with, "That's not what I picked..."

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Name of the game in healthcare. I don't envy the logistics guys where I work.

Even before the pandemic it sucked.

Labor shortage is better for us though.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Yeah staffing especially on RN side is atrocious lately

Don’t know about new, but ongoing is more like it. Last 2 companies I worked for have had to dedicate lots of resources to the identification and qualification for new sources if supply. Anything from raw materials to supposedly commercially available components. It’s like the boy and the dam story. Fix one issue and the next weakest link is exposed. PITFA.

But hey all eggs in one “cheap” basket sure seemed like a good idea to the MBA types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my area of work and city:

1) There is a shortage of X-ray contrast due to the recent Shanghai lock down. We are watching our supplies for CT scans and angiography procedures closely. It's like an ammo crunch for doctors.

2) Staffing for RN's and techs are rough. Surgeries and procedures are pushed out farther and farther due to staffing issues.

3) There are medication shortages or restrictions of one variety or other every week.

4) The hospital administrators are getting super irritated and nervous. They have to pay travelling RNs/techs to fill in the gaps (very high-cost labor) and yet they have to curtail the money making outpatient procedures (see above) but yet can't charge higher prices from the payors (ie insurance companies). We are actively poaching people from other hospital networks or within our own system hospitals. Personally, they can fuck themselves since they only care about the specific things that would provide them with a bonus. Not really patients (good Medicare patient surveys...yes), not nurses, and not doctors (unless you can bring in collections).

I can tell you that factory automation related items are getting really hard to get. 2 years ago a typical leadtime was 4 weeks. Today it is not uncommon to hear 30 weeks. One of my vendors said that they are still taking in more orders than they are shipping so there is no end in sight.

A customer bought $700K worth of product from a competitor last month. The response back was that it will probably take one year to fill the order.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

One of my shippers has been waiting months for a high cube 40' container to rent for a shipment and hasn't been able to source one.
    Even booking a standard 40 has been a long wait, with plenty of cancelations and delays.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List