Thread: AAR- Shivworks ECQC Portland 6/17-6/19

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland

AAR- Shivworks ECQC Portland 6/17-6/19

I had to pleasure of attending Shivworks ECQC in Portland this past weekend. A few friends here who can identify themselves if they wish were also in attendance.

I am a self-admitted training junky throughout my life but also as an instructor myself. I normally go into a training class trying to wear a few sets of glasses at one time, one as a student for my own skills and the other as an instructor to see how I could potentially improve. Having trained all over the country with some truly fantastic instructors/schools, Shivworks, without question is at the top of my list following this weekend for gun combatives. This was not a ‘shooting’ class, this is a ‘fighting’ class.

As a general review, very few instructors have the delivery skills that Craig possesses. Regardless of the students’ skill level, Craig and team were able to keep the class moving forward and on topic without minimizing any students’ skills, questions, or abilities. From my instructor glasses, it was watching a master at work and truly impressive. From an overall command and control perspective, Craig has been the best instructor I have experienced in my life. At no time did any of the skills, drills, tests, etc feel unsafe or out of control. The delivery of the material allowed more experienced students to explore more advanced movements/options while still allowing less experienced students to equally work the skill. This is an extremely difficult management task by the instructor cadre and Craig was masterful.

This class humbles everyone. Our student mixture was somewhat unique in my opinion. We had active-duty LEO, World Champion BJJ black belt, M/GM level pistol shooters, Active military, seasons firearm instructors and experience BJJ instructors/coaches/competitors and a couple average-joe citizens that are passionate about their own self-defense. The combatives/grappling phases on the course were nothing short of amazing. Everyone, and I mean everyone was better walking out of this course than when we walked in. Everyone found concepts that they could understand and retain, everyone had success and exposed weaknesses. The concepts presented were not overly complex that the student would likely forget 90% when they walked out the door. In fact, it was the exact opposite: The concepts presented were so simplified they are easily retained. Once again, this is rare to see. Refining a system over 20+ years is clear in every teaching block throughout the course. It is clear from hearing what some of the alumni students recounted that this ECQC was worlds better than the last one they took 5-10 years ago, and at THAT time, the ECQC was the best thing they had done up to that point. This speaks volumes for what Craig and Shivworks has created.

In summary, from a student perspective, this was a fantastic class with amazing instructors. The concepts are well developed, polish and delivered with precision that anyone can absorb regardless of the skill level you entered with. This course is physically humbling, if you are not strong enough mentally to lose, this might not be for you, but I am 100% certain this will make you better in so many ways.

From an instructor’s perspective, this was a gift to watch first person. This should light a fire within you to do better, be better and develop your own teaching abilities. I have no idea if I posses the skills or ability to be as good of an instructor, but I feel this is the benchmark that we should be measured against.

Thank you to @SouthNarc and team!

Thanks for the excellent AAR, @Cdub_NW. I agree emphatically with everything you wrote. ECQC was a challenging but physically safe learning environment. No one should be scared away by the physical aspects. Craig is a master at giving each student the appropriate amount of pressure.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Thanks for the kind words guys and I really appreciate you both sharing a weekend with me.🙏🏽

User Tag List