Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Seems to me H&K basically solved all the problems 1911s can have.
    Twice the reliability, with 1/3 the shoot-ability.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've a short answer to this question. It is only 271 pages https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....thread/page271
    If you’re going to use a Model T as a daily driver you better either have a good tool set and mechanical aptitude, or the means to pay someone else to do the wrenching for you.

One thing about M&P that I just mentioned in another M&P thread, is they don't get the love of some others and there always seem to be some bargains out there, like this one.

Also a lotta talk about triggers, and I recently jumped back on the Apex bandwagon. I have had several in many of my many M&Ps, but the new flatty is pretty cool. I intentionally spent about three years shooting a stock 2.0 because I got tired of throwing bling at everything that I bought, and decided to stick with stock for a while. But I have been shooting a little three gun and most of the organizers are shooting racier guns and setting up a few demanding shots, so I got a second 5" 9mm and did the trigger. I liked that they published their spring combo matrix, and went with the lighter (factory) trigger spring and their heavier sear spring and it is a nice combo with light take up and a crisper snap, and I am very happy with it, and have bought a third 5" 9mm that I am going to have direct milled and do the same setup. For some reason they are not recommending the less expensive polymer trigger for the 2.0 45, but that used gun and this trigger kit would be, IMO, a sweet setup.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks. I could probably do that.

Switching gears, here’s TGO showcasing the Springfield Loaded:

$1k, ambi, night sights, full length guide rod. This seems to be another out of the box option with a few more features.

Are there any practical advantages to stainless over say parkerized finish or is that simply personal preference?
    If you are considering a SA 1911 at $1,000 - I’d tell you go with a TRP. It’s what I did.

Haven’t shot it in years due to ammo prices. But now that we’re enabling you…

I’d also assess 9mm 1911’s - if that TRP was chambered in 9mm. It’d probably be at the range every single time I went shooting to be honest.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    If you are considering a SA 1911 at $1,000 - I’d tell you go with a TRP. It’s what I did.

I’d also assess 9mm 1911’s - if that TRP was chambered in 9mm. It’d probably be at the range every single time I went shooting to be honest.
    He wants a gun for pin matches where the momentum of .45 acp is needed to moves heavy bowling pins completely off the table when hit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    He wants a gun for pin matches where the momentum of .45 acp is needed to moves heavy bowling pins completely off the table when hit.
    I thought of that as well, but - I figured just throw it out there.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Switching gears, here’s TGO showcasing the Springfield Loaded:

$1k, ambi, night sights, full length guide rod. This seems to be another out of the box option with a few more features.
    That's the gun that came to my mind when I read your requirements. You can probably find a good used one for even less, and especially chambered for 45ACP it will probably run just fine. Feel free to replace the stupid full length guide rod with a standard GI guide rod and plug.

Someone mentioned the TRP -- they are nice guns but you probably won't find one for a thousand bucks.

being a .45 vato

issued a G21 in 1993
    carried 4500 SW in late 90s to 2000s
    1911 in 2008 (current carry)

shot a Sig 220, had a BIG OL HK USP 45, shot a MP45, had a SW 625,

I have never shot a bowling pin match.

are you limited to round count?
    allowed mag changes?

that would help me decide but for me... it would be 1911.

I would use my dad's Colt

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Thanks for the perspective, for sure being in FL most of the time it's hot and damp. I wasn't considering stainless because the Tommy Lee Jones quote from US Marshalls keeps reverberating around in my head ("Lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol and get a Glock").

And stainless might be a more suitable finish for a BBQ gun anyway. The reality of my use case is I would take this gun once a year to the pin shoot in Michigan; the rest of the time it's a "thing" to be admired and perhaps taken to the range for fun.
    Generally, I don't buy stainless pistols or revolvers but I have a few. Mostly because there wasn't a blued model available when I purchased. I shoot mine a lot and really haven't found anything functionally wrong with either one. They both look like shit because powder residue on the muzzle and slide is almost impossible to get off if you shoot a lot. Scratches are a feature with SS.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I thought of that as well, but - I figured just throw it out there.
    Well, isn’t that the exact situation where we enable a .45 for the pin matches and a 9mm for practice and everything else?

I mean, as long as we’re spending Rich’s money for him anyway!!

User Tag List