Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Site Supporter
    While I've owned, shot, carried 1911's for 35 + years
    and still own DW, STI and a SAC Colt... unless a 1911
    is calling you, I'd go HK, M&P, Glock

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It was discussed that the fitted barrels of the Elite, Expert, and Tactical may make them infinitesimally robust in operation where foreign material/dust/debris is a potential issue. They all use the O-ring to center the muzzle, and the barrel hoods are fit to the slides for lockup, so all those clearances are more subject to interference. For a maximally reliable USP .45 in the field, get the moo-cow-fU(& standard version.
    Oh I kept to my Glock path. Chose a G40 with Underwood 140gr penetrators.

Jumping on board.

I need want a 1911 to shoot in this competition: www.thepinshoot.com.

Here’s me last week, shooting it for the first time with a borrowed pistol:

The pins are 3 lbs something, at 21 feet. Most all are shooting 5” 1911s in .45ACP. Scoring is knocking the pin to the ground, 9mm doesn’t cut it.

A Glock 21SF is an option, but I have not shot one yet. I disliked the hinged trigger on my M&P 1.0 immensely. I don’t see buying another M&P unless S&W changes that. The 1911 I shot pointed well for me; I was able to get good hits, and the trigger was crisp.

I am a lefty, with size M hands. Based input on p-f, I’m looking a a Ruger SR1911 or a Springfield Garrison Loaded. I’d like to keep it around $1k or less.

The Ruger, based on positive reviews, great customer service stories, and satisfaction with several Ruger revolvers has me leaning that way. I would have to install an ambi safety, but absent that, the Ruger looks like the most affordable reliable 1911 that meets my needs.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-20-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Jumping on board,

A Glock 21SF is an option, but I had not shot one yet.
    As mentioned in the other thread, a Gen 4 Glock is the same as an SF Glock. Unless you live in California, and you don't, there is no advantage to buying an SF Glock over a Gen 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    As mentioned in the other thread, a Gen 4 Glock is the same as an SF Glock. Unless you live in California, and you don't, there is no advantage to buying an SF Glock over a Gen 4.
    I missed that, but understand now. Makes sense. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Jumping on board.

I need want a 1911 to shoot in this competition: www.thepinshoot.com.

Here’s me last week, shooting it for the first time:

The pins are 3 lbs something, at 21 feet. Most all are shooting 5” 1911s in .45ACP. Scoring is knocking the pin to the ground, 9mm doesn’t cut it.

A Glock 21SF is an option, but I have not shot one yet. I disliked the hinged trigger on my M&P 1.0 immensely. I don’t see buying another M&P unless S&W changes that. The 1911 I shot pointed well for me; I was able to get good hits, and the trigger was crisp.

I am a lefty, with size M hands. Based input on p-f, I’m looking a a Ruger SR1911 or a Springfield Garrison Loaded. I’d like to keep it around $1k or less.

The Ruger, based on positive reviews, great customer service stories, and satisfaction with several Ruger revolvers has me leaning that way. I would have to install an ambi safety, but absent that, the Ruger looks like the most affordable reliable 1911 that meets my needs.
    The Ruger Target may be an option for your uses, comes with the ambi safety and adjustable sights for not much more
    money.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Since the Art and Science thread is getting more questions about other .45s and general 1911 questions, how about a thread for some of those discussions not directly related to keeping a 1911 fat and happy.
    Why do you need a .45? I abandoned the caliber when I sold my 1911s, and have not regretted it.

If I had to use .45, it would be in a Glock 21.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I just got a Smith & Wesson 4506-1. In its inaugural range trip, I found it to be a wonderful shooter: accurate, comfortable, reliable, shoots right on POA.

[
    Plus a shooting session with it also counts as a upper body workout!

For the OP - I’ll be honest, if I could only keep one of my .45s to shoot - I would most likely keep my M&P. To my mind it shoots every bit as well as my 1911s, has a wonderful Apex trigger, a perfect balance of magazine capacity and size, manual safety plus a few passive safeties, and is just as ergonomic. My 1st gen M&P45 has been a wonderful pistol, I can only imagine how much better the 2.0 is.

My USPc LEM would be a close second just because the damn USP is such a solid functional gun and the compact version is actually small enough I can shoot it well.

Well I'll add that my gen 1 M&P45 is the softest, most accurate shooting 45 I've owned. I did APEX the trigger, added Trijicon HD XR's and stippled it a bit, shot a match or two with it but I let it sit in the safe mostly. I can't explain why but I never get it out anymore. A buddy bought a gen 2 after shooting mine and loves his too but has the same problem, he just doesn't shoot it much anymore.

I bought a G21 gen 4 and the M&P just fit me so much better I sent the G21 down the road.

But everyone needs a 1911...

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    All non-1911 .45 discussions begin and end at the HK USP FS with the Match Hybrid trigger
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List