Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Deleted...
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-27-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Aw, hell. As long as we're talking government models and >$1000, ahmunna just leave this here.

Attachment 90696

That load of JHP 250gr @ 925 fps is totally doable with no changes.

Match trigger breaks in to 1911-ish in SA. Adjustable sights. Uber accurate.
    You got sucked into the HK vortex. That isn't uncommon for someone looking for a better 1911.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Aw, hell. As long as we're talking government models and >$1000, ahmunna just leave this here.
    That match trigger is pretty sweet in SA, isn't it?

Name:  IMG_0091.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  84.3 KB

Elite 45 with match trigger, range use only; USP45 FS with match hybrid LEM, woods gun; and USP Compact 45 DA/SA with most of the match trigger parts, kept standard trigger and hammer spring which gives a more practical pull weight for carry purposes.

Attachment 90696

That is a really cool gun, but does anybody make a decent holster for those things? I have been tempted, but there is no JMCK solution for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Seems legit.

Who needs the expense of Magna-port.
    Sure, look at the way he sized each port differently taking into account the pressure at each point.

Definitely playing 3D chess with the Don.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Seems to me H&K basically solved all the problems 1911s can have.
    Based on my comparatively middling use of .45 ACP's this would be my first thought too. A family member picked an HK up when he was feeling flush with f-f-f-olding money - I thought he was nuts - and he raved about it from day one; it is one of the few pistols he does not consider a mere commodity to be used, traded, sold, etc. I personally prefer to fire .45 ACP out of an N frame S&W than out of any other handgun, but that pistol is sweet.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Attachment 90696

That load of JHP 250gr @ 925 fps is totally doable with no changes.

Match trigger breaks in to 1911-ish in SA. Adjustable sights. Uber accurate.
    I use my .45 Expert for bowling pin matches with 230 JHPs. Both factory and slightly less power reloads.
    That .45 Expert is one of my favorite pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    That is a really cool gun, but does anybody make a decent holster for those things? I have been tempted, but there is no JMCK solution for it.
    Lots of holster options for the standard USP's.

While the HK Experts and Elites are really accurate they're also fit pretty tightly and have the O-ring barrels. My Elite was so tight that the barrel was finicky to take out of the slide until a few hundred rounds had been through it. The match trigger SA pull is also a little on the light side for carry, although I guess no more so than a good 1911. Depending on intended use, those may be considerations. I chose to go with a standard full size USP 45 for non-range use, it's possible to put any of the various trigger setups in there and a variety of sights. If you wanted to, you could set it up the same as an Expert except with the standard slide and 4.40-inch barrel. My FS has match hybrid LEM and USP tactical adjustable night sights, holsters are readily available, and it's been reliable on multi-day backcountry hikes in variable weather conditions. Yes it really does launch 45 Super without difficulty and with the stock recoil spring, see GJM's thread on the USP as a woods gun. It's a little on the large size for carry in town but it's possible.. easier in winter than in summer. I usually go with a USP Compact 9 or a revolver in town.
    Last edited by Salamander; 06-27-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Blade Tech makes a holster specifically for the Expert length USP's; I have one and it works well for my 9mm and .45 Experts. It's not JMCK quality, but it gets the job done. For the Elite length gun, I found the First-Spear Walt chest holster to be a good choice, if you can stand the logo.

Brand question:

A Gunbroker search yesterday for "1911", in the pistol category, .45 ACP, 5" barrel, new or used, between $800 and $1200 surfaced 279 listings.

The top five listings by percentage were:

Kimber - 20%
    Auto Ordnance - 15%
    Springfield Armory - 14%
    Colt - 14%
    Sig Sauer - 8%

I was curious so I looked at Auto Ordnance. These seem to mostly be GI guns, or Series 80s, which I'm not interested in.

But what is the deal with Kimber?

Opinions seem to be all over the map, ranging from "this gun is trash" to "I been sHoOTIn' mINe fOr yEaRs, 200 tROuble fREe ROUnds" kind of thing. I was surprised how many Kimber listings (there were 56 Kimbers for sale out of 279 listings) there were on GB (or maybe that means something in and of itself?).

Is Kimber worth looking at for first time 1911, or is is a "run away, fast" situation?

User Tag List