Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I disagree about the premise of the thread. RJ joined the discussion post number 23. Despite being a nice guy, he did not establish the thread's theme. To use his term, he "jumped in".
    I believe you are mistaken. This thread was started from the "Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running" thread, as RJ had some questions, and others started making non-1911 suggestions for him.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....unning/page149
    Let’s take some of these questions HERE because I’m just as guilty for thread drift as anyone else.
    It is about finding a .45 shooter for bowling pin matches.

I disagree about the premise of the thread. RJ joined the discussion post number 23. Despite being a nice guy, he did not establish the thread's theme. To use his term, he "jumped in".
    Edit: now I’m confused.

As the OP I’ll clarify. I started this thread to help RJ and others who might be pondering the question in the thread title.

Unless something very special comes along, any future 1911 purchases I make will be 9mm/.38 Super. I’m still G41 curious but that’s a long shot (so to speak). If S&W releases a 5” M&P 45 I’ll have one unless it’s a total pile of flaming crap.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My previous agency issued G21SFs and G21 Gen4s. It was a large gun and I have smaller hands. It was probably the absolute size limit for me to be able to shoot it at any reasonable standard. A regular G21 Gen3 is too large for me and I can’t shoot it as well as I’d like. That being said, if it’s not a gun for CCW, I think it was an awesome gun. Superbly accurate, fairly soft shooting, held 13 rounds in a magazine. I think one would be an awesome bowling pin gun or a decent woods gun. I’m firmly in the 9mm camp but if Glock ever comes out with a Gen5 G21, I’ll buy one just for nostalgia’s sake and fun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    My previous agency issued G21SFs and G21 Gen4s. It was a large gun and I have smaller hands. It was probably the absolute size limit for me to be able to shoot it at any reasonable standard. A regular G21 Gen3 is too large for me and I can’t shoot it as well as I’d like. That being said, if it’s not a gun for CCW, I think it was an awesome gun. Superbly accurate, fairly soft shooting, held 13 rounds in a magazine. I think one would be an awesome bowling pin gun or a decent woods gun. I’m firmly in the 9mm camp but if Glock ever comes out with a Gen5 G21, I’ll buy one just for nostalgia’s sake and fun.
    I’ve been so close to getting a G21 Gen 4 and G20 Gen 4 for months but I love my Gen 5 17 and 19 and I want them to match. Mildly OCD gun nerd problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I’m firmly in the 9mm camp but if Glock ever comes out with a Gen5 G21, I’ll buy one just for nostalgia’s sake and fun.
    Put me into the want a Gen 5 G21 camp too.

My previous agency issued G21SFs and G21 Gen4s. It was a large gun and I have smaller hands. It was probably the absolute size limit for me to be able to shoot it at any reasonable standard.
    Since we have a lot of Beretta 92 shooters here, how does a Gen 4 G21 compare grip-wise to a standard 92 frame with standard grips?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Since we have a lot of Beretta 92 shooters here, how does a Gen 4 G21 compare grip-wise to a standard 92 frame with standard grips?
    That’s a good question. I have a Beretta 92 with the slim LTT grips but I don’t currently own or have access to a G21.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Guys like @Clusterfrack who train regularly find that a modern 9mm handgun serves them best. They don't shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps and have little interest in single actions or plinking with 32's, 380's, .45 ACP's, or Grandma's Hi-Point.
    I miss shooting dirt clods and stumps. Next time I have the opportunity, I’ll blast one in your honor.

But, my breakup with .45 was primarily due to losing interest in 1911s.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    But, my breakup with .45 was primarily due to losing interest in 1911s.
    I've found that my M&P45s are much more fun to shoot than my 1911s, as is my S&W M22. Plus I've got all that .45 brass I've accumulated over the years.

User Tag List