Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
    For a range gun that’s only going to use ball ammo and RIA in 45 or 38 super is a surprisingly decent gun.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @RJ here’s a couple of things pulled from the deep dark crevices of my memory which is like a rusty steel trap but it’s absolutely worth the premium you paid for it.

The TRP is supposed to use tool steel fire control components vs MIM of the lower SA product lines. Not sure about the Loaded series.

In my rather dated personal experience, the TRP is actually filled with all MIM parts, with the exception of the extractor. All the action parts are MIM as well as other critical parts. That may have changed for current examples, but mine was all MIM.

The Professional also has a few MIM parts, but tool steel in the action parts, slide stop, plunger tube, Wilson extractor and safety. Ejector and FP plate are MIM and work fine.

I replaced almost everything MIM in my TRP with Cylinder & Slide parts over 20 years ago and it has a great trigger as a result. TRP’s of that era had Storm Lake barrels, and those were fine at the time.

My two Professionals never needed anything changed out, except an extractor that failed on one of them during a state IDPA match (after a Gunsite 499 where we had done a lot of abusive things to it). Both still run as if the slides are on ball-bearings, both are super accurate, and that is after an embarrassingly high round count. Nothing done except recoil spring changes and FP spring changes on the maintenance clock.

Site Supporter
    Looking at the SA web site, TRP MSRP ranges from $1,695 to $1,780. The Loaded series ranges from $978 to $1,347. What does a TRP give you that isn't on a Loaded? My initial takeaway is that I'd be ok with the Loaded, but I'm probably missing something that the TRP has.

"For me", the SA Loaded seems superficially like it has the features I am looking for, but of course I don't know what I don't know. Based on the little knowledge I've gained in the last few days (Thanks all!!) that would include:

- 1911 pattern in .45 ACP
    - Probably stainless (Florida heat/humidity)
    - Ambi-safety (I'm a lefty)
    - Out of the box usable sights (meaning three dot fixed, or night sights)
    - Be both a BBQ gun and "reliable enough" to perform at (very) occasional matches, either The Pin Shoot in Central Lake Michigan next year, or thinking about it, I guess I could also use it in Single Stack in USPSA.

I'd be buying a 1911 to have "the 1911 experience"; It's not like I need another gun. I don't want to fiddle with it, I want to shoot it for enjoyment, and to get familiar with as a piece of American history.

Random 1911 armorer question on the guide rod: In that video, TGO mentions he can feel the extra 2 oz from the full length guide rod in the Springfield Loaded. That makes sense to me, I can feel it when I put a Tungsten guide rod in my G34.

In practical terms, does a full length guide rod have any other pluses or minuses? I watched a take-down video of a pistol with a full length guide rod, and it didn't seem all that complicated, really.
    I have one of the adjustable sight TRPs which differ from most other SA 1911's in using a bull barrel vs a traditional bushing set up.

For the pin shoot and personal enjoyment I recommend the bull barrel TRP. It's effective enough that they are prohibited in the USPSA / IDPA single stack 1911 specific divisions....

As a dot shooter, the SA Operator with factory RMR is a great gun though I've hear they have been discontinued.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For a range gun that’s only going to use ball ammo and RIA in 45 or 38 super is a surprisingly decent gun.
    This is true. I had the basic RIA GI .45 for about a year and shot a fair bit of 230-grain ball with nary an issue. I ran it rather hilariously with Wilson mags (they were like 30% the cost of the gun). When I tired of the more basic finish and faux-wood grips I sold it to a friend in need of a birthday gift for her husband, and I at least felt good that I knew I wasn't sending along a clunker that wouldn't run.

They ain't pretty but they shoot.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Say I get one of these:

This seems to be a decent gateway-drug level - a no frills gun at sub $500 on GB; ambi safety, decent fit and finish.

How hard is it to replace the dovetail front sight with say a FO? I have the simple 3/16” hex tool for a Glock, but on a 1911, is it as simple as pressing out the front sight and pressing in a new one?

for just a few more bucks, this version already has the FO sight. My oldest son has the 9mm version and it has been running well for him.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932362502

Thanks for the perspective, for sure being in FL most of the time it's hot and damp. I wasn't considering stainless because the Tommy Lee Jones quote from US Marshalls keeps reverberating around in my head ("Lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol and get a Glock").

And stainless might be a more suitable finish for a BBQ gun anyway. The reality of my use case is I would take this gun once a year to the pin shoot in Michigan; the rest of the time it's a "thing" to be admired and perhaps taken to the range for fun.
    For general aesthetics and admiring, and potential BBQs, I'd go with the stainless Ruger and have an ambi-safety fitted.

Dang it, every time I think I'm good another question comes up.

How about magazines? For reliability, I shoot Glock OEM Mags, same with the Sig P365X, no mods (ok well TTI extensions for the Glock 34 mags for CO.)

Is there a go to 8 round mag supplier for reliability? I keep hearing WC mags mentioned fairly often.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazin...ductinfo/47DE/

Or is it case of vetting your mags in your gun and then using those exclusively? For my purposes I'll need three 8 rounders in the gun to start a stage (rules say max 8 in the gun at the start), then at least four to five reloads (7, ea min) at hand, so I need to budget for around 8 mags, plus spares, so say 10.
    Since this isn't a carry gun, vetting the mags for your usage will consist of running a couple of boxes through them.

In addition to the previously mentioned Wilsons, Brownells makes 1911 magazines which are supposed to be good, and they warranty them. I acquired some 8-round Mec-Gars which are OK so far. Any unsatisfactory mags can be traded for Ed Brown ones for $10.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...er_1=brownells
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-21-2022 at 05:33 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Is there a go to 8 round mag supplier for reliability?
    Inevitably, everyone new to 1911's eventually asks about 10 round mags, because 10 has to be better than 8. Since most folks these days have no experience with single column mags, I often post this article for perspective.

https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/...e-1911-45-acp/

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post

If you are looking for a used G21, use caution in E prefix G21 (going off of memory) as the rear frame tabs would pull out of the poly frame on heavy use from the impact of going into battery. These are mid to early late 90s frames.

Also, some guns we turned in had been in service for 15-18+ years (hard use) and some of the frames were warped but they still ran, however we had to use + trigger bars to make them pass the armorers checks.

I will try and find an image to show what I mean by warped.
    I may have an older image at our work as some of the guns I managed were much worse than this image but they still continued to run.

And while I am guessing as to whats happening here, frame flex during recoil and taking set this was on high use G21s that only saw 230 hardball and 230 duty ammo well past the 10 year mark.

And a full 13 round magazine of .45acp is pushing upwards on the slide, so essentially this might cause some timing contacts between the firing pin and the firing pin safety.

This image I got off the net and its just an example of what I saw. if you compared the bottom of the slide to the top of the frame, you can see the frame lines curve upward or warping of the frame.

The red lines are an exaggeration of the curve but it gives you an idea what to be looking at. To me, those are high mileage Glocks.

Some police guns (mainly Admin) get shot 50 rounds and year. Those guns are in excellent condition because in 10 years, they likely have only seen around 500 rounds.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    An RIA 1911 was my first handgun (classic newb move). I've put 1600 rounds of random ball thru it over the years, zero malfunctions with shitty mags and minimal TLC. It's ugly and the trigger kinda sucks but it's a shooter.

Agree surprisingly decent. i've never carried it, but I also do carry Glocks that have had more malfunction issues than this gun.

I have one of the adjustable sight TRPs which differ from most other SA 1911's in using a bull barrel vs a traditional bushing set up.

For the pin shoot and personal enjoyment I recommend the bull barrel TRP. It's effective enough that they are prohibited in the USPSA / IDPA single stack 1911 specific divisions....

As a dot shooter, the SA Operator with factory RMR is a great gun though I've hear they have been discontinued.
    I agree with HCM. If I was looking for a turn-key bowling pin 1911, the full rail TRP Operator with the adjustable rear sight would be my first choice.

The bull barrel, the full rail, and full-length recoil spring guide rod adds some weight in the right area for soaking up recoil. I had one for about 7 years and stupidly sold it. I've seen a lightly used ones go for around $1200.
    Obligatory link for that pistol: https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...-ca-compliant/
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 06-21-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    An RIA 1911 was my first handgun (classic newb move). I've put 1600 rounds of random ball thru it over the years, zero malfunctions with shitty mags and minimal TLC. It's ugly and the trigger kinda sucks but it's a shooter.

Agree surprisingly decent. i've never carried it, but I also do carry Glocks that have had more malfunction issues than this gun.
    It’s not what I would recommend for duty or self-defense gun, nor are you gonna put hundreds of thousands of rounds through it rebuilding it every 50,000 rounds but as a range gun to shoot ball ammo get a trigger job and go shoot it.

User Tag List