Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    What does a TRP give you that isn't on a Loaded? My initial takeaway is that I'd be ok with the Loaded, but I'm probably missing something that the TRP has.
    The things you would notice are the front strap checkering on the TRP, while the Loaded has no texturing on the front strap, and the sight options. Pay attention to the sights, and their dovetails (I think I linked to the Kensight website in the other thread) because not all sight options are available for all dovetails.

Dang it, every time I think I'm good another question comes up.

How about magazines? For reliability, I shoot Glock OEM Mags, same with the Sig P365X, no mods (ok well TTI extensions for the Glock 34 mags for CO.)

Is there a go to 8 round mag supplier for reliability? I keep hearing WC mags mentioned fairly often.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazin...ductinfo/47DE/

Or is it case of vetting your mags in your gun and then using those exclusively? For my purposes I'll need three 8 rounders in the gun to start a stage (rules say max 8 in the gun at the start), then at least four to five reloads (7, ea min) at hand, so I need to budget for around 8 mags, plus spares, so say 10.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Dang it, every time I think I'm good another question comes up.

How about magazines?

Is there a go to 8 round mag supplier for reliability? I keep hearing WC mags mentioned fairly often.
    You'll probably get 20 different answers for the "Best 1911 Mags".

As mentioned in the post above, the 1911 was designed around a 7 round mag. Early 8 rounders were 7 round tubes with compromised springs and followers that allow 8 rounds in a 7 round tube. Newer 8 round mag designs have longer tubes that allow a good spring and follower.

Wilson, Chip McCormick (CMC), Tripp, CheckMate, ACT-Mag, and others offer extended tube 8 rounders.

Wilson makes great mags, but not all are equal. Their 7 round 47 is very good. Their 8 round 47D is not as good, but OK. If you want 8 rounds from Wilson Combat buy one from their ETM (500 Series) line-up.

Wilson 47 https://shopwilsoncombat.com/7-Round.../products/370/

Wilson ETM https://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-.../products/378/

Tripp Research Cobra Mag https://www.trippresearchinc.com/8r-...246.1655824566

CMC Railed PowerMag (RPM) https://www.cmproducts.com/Railed-Po...ess_p_211.html

CheckMate EXT https://www.shop.1911parts.com/Check...-8-s-h-ext.htm

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Since the Art and Science thread is getting more questions about other .45s and general 1911 questions, how about a thread for some of those discussions not directly related to keeping a 1911 fat and happy.

I’m as guilty as anyone else so consider this an attempt at atonement…
    How ironic that this is turning into a thread about which 1911 mags to use.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If you did a poll, I'm sure a lot of 1911 people here have replaced factory full length guide rods with GI sets. I have in both my government 1911s. In addition to being tool-less, the "Hi Power" takedown also avoids wear on the bushing to barrel fit because you aren't turning the bushing around under tension (Hi Power method is take the slide stop out, slide the whole upper half off while retaining the recoil spring so it doesn't send the guiderod across the room, then push the barrel out and rotate the bushing somewhere aft of the end of the barrel to get it out of the slide). On a steel gun, I'm not sure I'd prioritize the minimal difference between full guiderod and GI.

Stainless will definitely scratch but besides being rust-resistant, it's also easier to add matching or close-enough-to-matching parts to later if you're repairing or modifying. My two stainless guns are scratched to hell and back but I don't really care - they're well used guns and show it, which is fine. Oh, the blued one is scratched up too. Because kydex.

In addition to the differences mentioned above, I'd guess that a TRP is getting a little more attention during assembly at the factory compared to a Loaded, RO, or Ronin. They're basically meant to be affordable production line versions of the SACS FBI-HRT pistol. I know at least a couple respected custom 1911 builders (Burton and Zito) have opined that the TRP is the lowest priced 1911 they'd recommend for carry. That may not matter at all for your recreational uses, but it's a partial answer as to what's going into it to make it cost more.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    How ironic that this is turning into a thread about which 1911 mags to use.
    I’ve probably over contributed to this thread but to your point I think what has resurrected the 2011 is STI’s reliable and decently affordable magazines. It’s always been about the magazines to be honest. It’s something you don’t really ever consider until they don’t work.

I’d recommend Tripp Cobra magazines as that’s what I have direct positive experience with. I’ve tried lots of Wilson’s and just not had the experience others have - I never tried the one with the new magazine springs though. After Tripp’s worked I stopped searching because my needs were satisfied.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    You'll probably get 20 different answers for the "Best 1911 Mags".
    You'd actually get 3 different answers just from me. ....

That is because different answer based on caliber. Wilson ETM for .45 ACP is my preferred choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I would say you are the exception, rather than the rule.
    No argument here, but I have done a lot of work on trigger manipulation under a very exceptional instructor and that has helped level out the differences among platforms- for me.

The Hilton Yam video was excellent.

In addition to what he mentioned, my personal magazine success recipe involves:

-Extended tubes for 8 round magazines

-Extra strength magazine springs

-Skirted followers

-I prefer carbon steel over stainless steel for tubes

Based on a recent frustrating series of jams with two 1911s with various magazines, I will totally avoid wadcutter bullets, unless the gun and magazines are specifically tuned and vetted for them.

My personal preference is for Check-Mate magazines, but realize that while it's a genuine preference, I am affiliated with them.

Best, Jon

User Tag List