Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

There has been a lot of input here already but I will say that the whole "1911s are unreliable" has been blown way out of proportion over the years. I carried and shot a 1911 for 20 years before moving to HK. Although the 1911 was a little more maintenance intensive, reliability was not a reason for making the move.

Dan Wesson is still making one of the best 1911s for the money right now. A step down from there would be a Springfield or a Magnum Research 1911. Some will say Colt but I've seen too many issues with their standard models to recommend one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    You know, it's hardly on anyone's radar anymore, but an excellent, but chronically underrrated non-1911 DA/SA (and maybe the unicorn DAO).45 ACP semi-auto is the Ruger P90. The accuracy, durability and reliability are generally outstanding, and the ergos surprisingly good. I haven't checked, but I assume that decent guns and OEM magazines are both available and reasonably inexpensive. Just a thought.

Best, Jon
    One of my coworkers picked up a P345 because it was cheap. Uses it for shots of opportunity and defense if needed against wild hogs at his country place. He's happy with it so far. He's had the issue where the magazine keeps some of the guts in position and aligned, so it gets all messed up if it's dry-fired with the mag out. I don't remember whether he had to buy parts or was able to just tweak something back to how it was. Hasn't talked about any issues since that. I'm kind of down with it as a lightweight, poly frame single stack. Shoots big bullets but nice and slim like a 1911 with a TDA trigger. Think he paid about $200 pre-pandemic.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Very much this.

I have fond memories of the 1911A1 in .45 ACP, including winning more than a little lunch money from unsuspecting rubes and getting myself out of a tight spot on a summer evening 30 years ago in a parking lot in downtown Seattle. These days, a Clark or Pachmayr 1911 with a satin-nickel frame and a blued slide is about the only reason I'd pick a 45 ACP for anything other than a very specialized deer hunt in the San Juan Islands.

Okie John
    I'm with you on this. I have a Combat Special but consider it a barbeque gun these days. I have a Marvel unit on the frame for the wife to shoot bullseye with. Trigger is too light for my not quite right trigger finger. That Colt is the only custom gun I own, which makes it a pretty special piece. But if I had to pull out a .45 for serious work, it'd be the HK 45C next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks, I hadn’t thought of a used 1911, as I’m not familiar with “what to look for” in a used one. Having said that, I know many used guns in excellent condition as out there at great prices.
    I rarely buy a new gun, especially a 1911. There are so many good used ones out there, it seems like a waste of money. Most guns aren’t shot much. I think that’s even more true for 1911s.

That said, if you want certain features or a new model, you may have to buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I rarely buy a new gun, especially a 1911. There are so many good used ones out there, it seems like a waste of money. Most guns aren’t shot much. I think that’s even more true for 1911s.

That said, if you want certain features or a new model, you may have to buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it is box stock that’s one thing but am very wary of buying a customized gun without knowing and trusting the person or shop that did the work.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    If it is box stock that’s one thing but am very wary of buying a customized gun without knowing and trusting the person or shop that did the work.
    I agree with this.

There are too many aftermarket parts available for the 1911, and too many people that think since they pieced together a Glock or an AR, that they can "gunsmith" a 1911. There are a lot of 1911's that left the factory as perfectly functioning guns, that were turned into expensive paperweights by their owners who couldn't leave well enough alone.
    Last edited by JTQ; 06-23-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I agree with this.

There are too many aftermarket parts available for the 1911, and too many people that think since the pieced together a Glock or an AR, that they can "gunsmith" a 1911. There are a lot of 1911's that left the factory as perfectly functioning guns, that were turned into expensive paperweights by their owners who couldn't leave well enough alone.
    Yeah, kinda where my head is at. If we are talking a used WC or a used DW, or any other equivalent $3k-$k guns, getting one of those used in (likely) good shape would be great.

But "for me" we are most likely talking a one and done purchase. At $1k or less, it's not likely to break the bank. In fact most probably scenario is I end up selling a gun I'm not using much, for one I can have a lot of fun with. So (and again, this is just for me) I will end up with a new purchase but down in the bottom feeder category. I intend to follow the guidance from above, which is buy/use WC or Chip McCormack mags, shoot quality ball ammo (I have some American Eagle and PMC Bronze 230 FMJ left over from the pin shoot) and not mess with it except to lube and clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah, kinda where my head is at. If we are talking a used WC or a used DW, or any other equivalent $3k-$k guns, getting one of those used in (likely) good shape would be great.

But "for me" we are most likely talking a one and done purchase. At $1k or less, it's not likely to break the bank. In fact most probably scenario is I end up selling a gun I'm not using much, for one I can have a lot of fun with. So (and again, this is just for me) I will end up with a new purchase but down in the bottom feeder category. I intend to follow the guidance from above, which is buy/use WC or Chip McCormack mags, shoot quality ball ammo (I have some American Eagle and PMC Bronze 230 FMJ left over from the pin shoot) and not mess with it except to lube and clean it.
    1911-pattern pistols are very, very addictive. There are objectively better weapons, but the 1911 carries, points, and shoots very well. The shooting characteristics, combined with the cache of being a US service weapon for 100-plus years and elegant lines, make the 1911-pattern pistol either an obsession or an addiction. Not sure which it is, but they seem to multiply in my safe. I currently have examples in 9x19, 9x23 Winchester, 10mm Auto, and .45 ACP and have had samples in other chambering such as .40 S&W.

All of that is to say, they can be like Lays potato chips. It is hard to stop after the first one.

Site Supporter
    There is part of me that wants an RIA 1911 just for the fun of having one.

Recently I was reminded of why I don’t want a 1911 sans FP safety. I was putting my P32 in my pocket and I somehow missed my pocket and the gun went tumbling to the floor. It hit the floor and the P32 bounced out of the holster.

Thankfully it has a FP safety.

I’ve never dropped a gun like that before, but it finally happened to me. No excuse, but I was likely dealing with a decent case of heat exhaustion/dehydration.

I wish the Series 80 was more common. If I could be gifted a .45 right now, I think I would go with a basic P220.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    1911-pattern pistols are very, very addictive. There are objectively better weapons, but the 1911 carries, points, and shoots very well. The shooting characteristics, combined with the cache of being a US service weapon for 100-plus years and elegant lines, make the 1911-pattern pistol either an obsession or an addiction. Not sure which it is, but they seem to multiply in my safe. I currently have examples in 9x19, 9x23 Winchester, 10mm Auto, and .45 ACP and have had samples in other chambering such as .40 S&W.

All of that is to say, they can be like Lays potato chips. It is hard to stop after the first one.
    They certainly have a very strong pull for many of us. Others seem to have some sort of immunity to that siren song. I, for one, have greatly enjoyed the trip.
    Name:  1911.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  50.6 KB

User Tag List