Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I'm terribly naive, but found it interesting that no one brought up the G30S. When I began carrying every day, I bought my first G30S after having shot just one that was borrowed from a friend at the range. I ended up owning 4 different G30S's until I drank the H&K KoolAid. My drinking that beverage coincided with two other things in my life. First, Mr. Arthur & his itis (osteo, thankfully) became firmly entrenched in my hands and second, 9MM became THE one and only (at least for me).

So.....wassup with the G30S, fellas? I mean, beside the fact that it's a Glock.
    For me it, like the 21, is a little big for my tiny hands and I think the grip is too short. It’s a shame is doesn’t have a G19 length grip.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Are we allowed a "Harrumph?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Make it a double!😁
    Name:  harumph.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  31.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This—

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    It isn’t so much a need to have a .45 as a want to have one.
    —is 'where' I've been the last six months. Reading this thread has helped me by causing me to realize that a mandatory criteria for any ''want'' that I might have is that such a ''want''—at least for me—must also have a concomitant ''purpose'' beyond being a simple desire to possess the item in question. Otherwise, it would reside in the safe unloved and unused. What's the point of that? While I really appreciate the 1911, I have come to realize that my desire to have a 1911 has already been met by my utilitarian full-size USP45V1 (well...three of them). So, while I've considered the Dan Wesson Pointman pistols, I guess it is time to ''hang it up'' so to speak. It'd probably get a couple hundred rounds put through it, get cleaned meticulously and sit in the safe until I tired of seeing it languish there. I guess that that is the very definition of a ''first world problem'' if ever there was one.

Clarity has been achieved!
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Name:  Glock-1911.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  61.3 KB

Sorry, but at this point its tradition for me to post this (in my mind)

And still true!

You're welcome?
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Site Supporter
    If one chooses to use an obsolescent caliber it might as well be from an obsolescent pistol.....

(Ducks and runs out of the room)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    For me it, like the 21, is a little big for my tiny hands and I think the grip is too short. It’s a shame is doesn’t have a G19 length grip.

No doubt the G30S is definitely for bigger hands, or as in my case, long fingers. It always felt so solid when shooting - of course the .45 ACP's push had a lot to do with that. I posted before about how different the last G30S's trigger felt compared to the earlier ones I had. It felt as though it had been smoothed up - I loved it. I bought a G19.5 and the trigger felt exactly the same when dry firing.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

A 1911 in 45 has rode with me through a interesting life never failed unless I did that being said is it for everyone ? nope If it is not then dont buy one make your own educated choice based on YOUR MISSION YOUR LIFESTYLE ECT here I thought we were free men allowed to make our own choices ? exercise that freedom

Full-size Glocks (G20/G21) are the only guns I've ever picked up that actively caused me pain. The way the grip is shaped it causes me to instantly have pain in my median nerve in my carpal tunnel. Five rounds of shooting and my thumb and index finger go numb.

Complete non-starter for me.

The FS USP .45 with Match-Hybrid LEM IS near perfect. But the HK45C is like 50% of the way to Match-Hybrid LEM and more concealable. If HK would fix the stupid rail to fit a standard WML it would be a perfect gun. I have seen grip reductions on HK45s that make them nearly HK45C sized. That would be a close #2.

A combination of 45C + USP FS would be the best of both worlds.

Say I get one of these:

This seems to be a decent gateway-drug level - a no frills gun at sub $500 on GB; ambi safety, decent fit and finish.

How hard is it to replace the dovetail front sight with say a FO? I have the simple 3/16” hex tool for a Glock, but on a 1911, is it as simple as pressing out the front sight and pressing in a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I didn't already have a USP .45 FS, I would definitely consider a P250 in .45. Has ten-round mags so it's natively ban-state compliant and two more than an HK45 FS. Sweet DAO trigger that's easier to master than the heavy/rough/inconsistent USP DA or the LEM. If the P250 compact 9mm is like an 18-round K frame, the .45 FS just might be analogous to an 11-shot S&W 325. I just don't have any basis to expect it to last a million years like a USP.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but the FS HK45 uses 10 round mags. The compact HK45C comes with 8 round mags.

And if I had to choose only one .45 ACP pistol, it would be a hard choice between the HK45 and USP45 Expert both with the match hybrid LEM trigger.

User Tag List