Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Site Supporter
    One last thing to throw in about SA. They have a lifetime warranty.

As you’ve observed there have been spotty experiences with Kimber, when it’s good it’s good and when it’s bad it’s real bad. My Dan Wesson CBOB broke part of the hammer off and I was within the warranty and was given a bit of a run around getting it replaced. This was 10+ years ago and before the acquisition by CZ, etc. but they finally relented and replaced it.

What I’d say to you is that having a lifetime warranty on a gun like this is probably a wise move. I don’t know what RIA’s warranty is, but I know SA CS has pretty much always had positive reviews. Coming from a Glock world where of course you’d get warranty support - this is a change in temperature.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I agree with BN on the adjustable sights. You'll be practicing with different loads, and in .45 ACP you seem to get more changes in point of aim/point of impact than with 9mm. The adjustables will be particularly valuable when you start playing other .45 ACP games at ranges beyond the Pin Shoot's 25 feet.

RJ, check out Springfield's Range Officer with the adjustable sight option. I've been very happy with mine and often teach with it and carry it. Adding an ambi should still bring you in around your $1K target price.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

What you should probably do is, ask @Mas what gun he loaned you. Then buy that exact model and send it to whatever gunsmith he had tune it and get it exactly the way you want it.
    It was a Springfield Armory TGO-II, fourth picture down in Mas' article (part 1 of 2) on the Pin Shoot in Armory Life.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/bowlin...-pin-shooting/

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Rich, I have been reading this thread and I have some free advice.

You absolutely need an adjustable rear sight. You are trying to hit a very small target with a bowling pin. Most different weight and velocity ammo will hit at a very slightly different aim point.

You also need a pistol with a standardized front sight dovetail like a Novak. That way you can buy a bushel basket full of different front sights to put on and take off to replace with the newest front sight that you want to try, just as I have. It annoys me to no end that the different manufacturers use so many different dovetails.
    Solid copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I agree with BN on the adjustable sights. You'll be practicing with different loads, and in .45 ACP you seem to get more changes in point of aim/point of impact than with 9mm. The adjustables will be particularly valuable when you start playing other .45 ACP games at ranges beyond the Pin Shoot's 25 feet.

RJ, check out Springfield's Range Officer with the adjustable sight option. I've been very happy with mine and often teach with it and carry it. Adding an ambi should still bring you in around your $1K target price.
    Thanks Mas! Will do.

Agreed about the RO series.
    Been carrying a 9mm Elite for about 3 years now.
    Solid dependable handgun.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Agreed about the RO series.
    Been carrying a 9mm Elite for about 3 years now.
    Solid dependable handgun.
    Regretfully the Springfield RO Series appears to have been discontinued last fall. I found one (1) still in stock on Gunbroker.

Name:  C5A0497B-3196-451E-B2DE-FD071DD64E13.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  65.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Regretfully the Springfield RO Series appears to have been discontinued last fall. I found one (1) still in stock on Gunbroker.

Name:  C5A0497B-3196-451E-B2DE-FD071DD64E13.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  65.2 KB
    Ah that's too bad. I like my RO quite a bit. That said, a Garrison can serve the same role tbh. Just add the ambi.

Adjustable sights are not needed for pin shoots IMO. Zero the gun for 25 yards and I bet you'll have the POI you want. I replaced my RO's adjustable with a fixed sight anyways.

It shoots like this at 20 yards.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Regretfully the Springfield RO Series appears to have been discontinued last fall.
    No doubt replaced in the line-up by the Loaded Target that comes already equipped with an ambi-safety. I think I gave the link in the thread earlier, but here it is again.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...-ca-compliant/

@ RJ

As you found out, Springfield has discontinued the RO series.

I really think that the Ruger Target covers all your bases, is a current model, and supported by the manufacturer. It is also stainless, so less worry about the rust worms. If you decided to have the front strap checkered or stippled, there is no refinishing to deal with. You can play with skateboard tape, or rubber finger grooves, etc. in the meantime.

As BN and Mas stated, the adjustable rear sight is desirable. The reason to have a fixed rear is as a no-snag carry gun...not what you are after here. Find a front sight that you like and can see, then adjust the rear to tune point-of-impact. No tinkering with front sight height. Boom. Done.

Order the one that's been posted above, have it shipped to your local FFL in Florida, and pick it up when you get home...provided the FFL is cool with the transfer and wait.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Ok, so while I'm in this dead zone of not being in Florida until later this month, I have a few nagging questions about 1911s / .45 ACP in general. Anyone who can take a whack at any of these would be much appreciated.

1) WC sells a product called a "SHOK-BUFF". This appears to be a polymer "Tree" of circular shock buffers which I gather get inserted into the Guide Rod to cusion the impact of recol. They require periodic (1,000 rounds?) replacement.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Bu...productinfo/2B

I would not really be that interested but when I see something on the Wilson Combat web site, I pay attention. Are these something I need to purchase? Or useless gimmic?

2) As regards ammo, does my familiarity generally with 9mm ammo brands extend into .45? I would normally select Federal American Eagle, or S&B, or PMC Bronze, or Speer Lawman. Do the .45 ACP equivalents have about as much reliability as 9mm? (I assume so?). By the same token, using WWB in 9mm isn't great, is the same true about .45?

3) Another ammo / noob question: Are there .45 ACP rounds which are flat topped, or semi-flat topped, perhaps like wadcutters, but not hollow points? I am trying to figure out if there is a less expensive choice than full house +p JHP .45 to practice with, but still maintain a flat point for hitting the pins (like a wadcuttter round) that's more affordable?

4) Lastly not sure this was covered up thread, but if I end up with a Novak style Dovetail front sight, I am assuming I can drive the sight out to the sides with a padded vise and a brass drift? Are there any land mines in store for me if I end up doing that? (the pistol I seem to be settling on (Springfield Garrison) has three dot white sights.

User Tag List