Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I think if there was a thin grip, in G10, in black, with the same texture pattern, I'd order it on the spot.
    Found it, that didn't take long:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NTD03Y8TK&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Rich,

If you haven't placed an order with Wilson Combat yet, this is a pretty slick kit that they've put together:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/CLEANIN...oductinfo/730/

As to fooling around with grips, I've got a few different sets that you can try out.
    Thanks Chuck. I guess 1911 grips are like the box o'holsters...you kind of keep accumulating them.

Thanks for the cleaning kit link; I have collected most of that stuff, more or less.

I didn't have a barrel wrench, so I put one on my next order from Midwest Gun Works. I can manage the bushing on mine by hand, but it is still pretty tight. A simple polymer bushing wrench should help me a lot. The last couple field strips and reassembles went a lot smoother than the first one, that's for sure. As long as I remember which end of the non-captive mag spring to put onto the guide rod. Heck I'm so new to this I had to go look that one up to be sure.

I wanted some .45 snap caps but was aghast at how much a set of 5 Tipton (what I usually use) caps were these days, almost $20, geez. Since this is for Dry Practice, I ordered a Barrel Blok instead. I like using these for my G34. The tube sticks out the barrel as a visual reminder you are clear, and the chamber end cushions the firing pin, like a snap cap.

https://bloksafety.com/

Wanna try a pair of thin grey/black G10s?

Pm me.
    They are the ones that came with the RO elite.
    I'm a wood guy.

Snap caps?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27477208168...mis&media=COPY
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Wanna try a pair of thin grey/black G10s?

Pm me.
    They are the ones that came with the RO elite.
    I'm a wood guy.

Snap caps?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27477208168...mis&media=COPY
    No worries, got that set I linked on order to try. Black/grey. I see you have excellent taste as well.

Copy the link on the snap caps, thanks!

This is probably unhelpful, but just to add to the dizzying array of options: If you like standard grips, you could use them and install a short trigger to solve your trigger reach issue. The 1911 nominally set up for my wife to use has Herretts wood grips on it but a Wilson short trigger. Doing it over again I'd use a Harris trigger, but that setup works for her small hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    This is probably unhelpful, but just to add to the dizzying array of options: If you like standard grips, you could use them and install a short trigger to solve your trigger reach issue. The 1911 nominally set up for my wife to use has Herretts wood grips on it but a Wilson short trigger. Doing it over again I'd use a Harris trigger, but that setup works for her small hands.
    Very useful info, actually. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a short trigger. I'll do some research into that.

"For the moment", I think I'll put on the thin G10 pair when they arrive. Having shot a Rental RIA Basic basic model (thick grips) up in Michigan, and comparing it to my SA, I have enough rounds to conclude I "probably" prefer the thin grips, with the standard (or whatever it is I have) trigger in the SA Garrison.

At any rate, $20 shipped to try out a set of thin G10s, with free returns, seems like a no brainer. I should know next week sometime. Much obliged for the comment.

Site Supporter
    Very useful info, actually. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a short trigger. I'll do some research into that.
    Installing a trigger isn't really difficult, but there may be some fitting involved depending on the gun and the trigger. I've done a few that fit perfectly with no fitting. In any case, swapping the trigger will gain you more familiarity with how the parts in a 1911 all fit and work together. Do keep track of any and all pins so you don't lose them.

@RJ, I'd suggest checking out the grips from @vcdgrips. I really like mine...(bottom 1911)

Name:  IMG_5405.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  74.7 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I guess 1911 grips are like the box o'holsters...you kind of keep accumulating them.
    Very true. At least they take up a lot less storage space.

Site Supporter
    The short trigger was standard on the 1911A1 and on commercial Colts through at least the 80s. If you can find a gunsmith who's been in business for a while, he'll probably have a bunch of them and be glad to get rid of one. If you get a military contract one, it probably won't need fitting.

User Tag List