Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks all. I appreciate the crowd sourced input on TS comfort, as it would be a rather large expense for me.

I extracted similar views of both the WC BP and EGS Ambi safeties. Looking at these profiles, would you say that the WC BP "looks" like it would be more comfortable, in terms of blended fit, than the EGW?

WC BP

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/THUMB-S...ctinfo/192BBP/

Attachment 92287

EGW

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-ambi-thumb-safety-blue

Attachment 92286

Talk to your gunsmith before you buy a part. He may have a suggestion on what to get if you explain what you are looking for.

#60 O-rings from a home improvement store stop grip screws from backing out under recoil and are much less expensive than the "gun version". I use them with any grip material other than wood. Could use them with wood grips but never had the need. Any hard grip material, such as G10 or elephant ivory, that does not allow much fastener stretch needs the O-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Talk to your gunsmith before you buy a part. He may have a suggestion on what to get if you explain what you are looking for.
    I did in fact; he’s happy with me ordering the Wilson BP Ambi.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    #60 O-rings from a home improvement store stop grip screws from backing out under recoil and are much less expensive than the "gun version". I use them with any grip material other than wood. Could use them with wood grips but never had the need. Any hard grip material, such as G10 or elephant ivory, that does not allow much fastener stretch needs the O-rings.
    Thanks, good to know.

This might be OCD, but is there a torque spec on 1911 grip screws? I’d guess based on torquing a few T15 torx optic screws, mine are around 10 in lb.

More on thick vs. thin, I’m pondering trying a set of rubber GI grips and set of bushings / screws. I mean, the wood thin grips are fine but I grip pretty hard and I’d like to try something I can really bear down on. Are GI grips always the thick ones, so if I order a set, they’ll be thick, right?

No real torque spec that I follow on 1911 grip screws. My practice is to hold the screwdriver between one finger and thumb and to not try to "gorilla" tighten the screws. The goal is just for the screws to not become loose and fall from the pistol.

If you like harder grips, G10 grips are a great way to go. I would avoid soft polymers like those from Pachmayr and Hogue. True "GI grips" use standard, not thin, grip bushings.

Got to my local gun range today to break in the Garrison. Goals for this session were to find out what POI vs. POA was....

All in all a great range day. I had a lot of fun shooting it. Much appreciate all the help in the thread.
    Looks like a shooter and a reliable one at that. Congrats.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    10mm is for gun hipsters.
    .....or for people who want to kill things with a 1911. My 10mm's have performed wonderfully on deer and hogs since the about 1990. YMMV.

Thanks, good to know.

This might be OCD, but is there a torque spec on 1911 grip screws? I’d guess based on torquing a few T15 torx optic screws, mine are around 10 in lb.

More on thick vs. thin, I’m pondering trying a set of rubber GI grips and set of bushings / screws. I mean, the wood thin grips are fine but I grip pretty hard and I’d like to try something I can really bear down on. Are GI grips always the thick ones, so if I order a set, they’ll be thick, right?
    Gi grips are thicker or the standard size, thin grips became a thing about 15 years ago IIRC. You may need to change the grip bushings to the standard size to accommodate the standard thickness GI grips.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Thanks all for the input on the 1911 mags. Much appreciated. I ended up ordering a couple CM Railed Power Mags to start out with:

https://www.cmproducts.com/Railed-Power-Mag_c_254.html

I'm still mulling over my WC order (mainly which style bullet-proof Ambi safety to buy, regular or wide) but will include a couple of the 500C-HD 8 round mag's with it:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/MAGAZIN...nfo/500C%2DHD/
    Rich,

If you haven't placed an order with Wilson Combat yet, this is a pretty slick kit that they've put together:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/CLEANIN...oductinfo/730/

As to fooling around with grips, I've got a few different sets that you can try out.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Conducted a little experiment today. I ordered as cheap a G10 grip I could find, to see if I liked the width, and to be able to touch and feel the G10 material that's mentioned so much.

This one is $20 shipped, and arrived today:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6FEOLY...roduct_details

The one I ordered was listed as "red / black", which it wasn't but I wasn't too worried about color. They came with four Torx screws, four O rings, and a L-wrench. Fit and finish were excellent. The holes aligned with my grip screws at what I understand is the standard full size, 3 1/16".

I fit them with the existing thin bushings on the gun, just so I could get a feel for them.

Original wood SA grips (thin)
    Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  75.0 KB

New "Cool Hand" grips (thick)
    Name:  IMG_1260.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  74.6 KB

Pros: The G10 material is super nice, I really like the feel. Texture is aggressive, but not too aggressive. Fit was very nice, as mentioned.

Cons: I noticed the thicker grips immediately. My trigger reach (I have M hands) was off, for sure. I focus very hard on a tight grip, and was barely able to get my trigger finger on the center of the shoe. Properly aligned with my forearm, the thick grips placed the pistol at a very awkward angle, with respect to a good dry press.

I removed them and put them back in the package. Fortunately, Amazon offers a free return on this item, so they are going back while I consider what to do. I mean, I like the appearance of the OEM wood grips, but not crazy about using an organic product on what will essentially be a range gun.

I think if there was a thin grip, in G10, in black, with the same texture pattern, I'd order it on the spot. I haven't investigated Lok or VZ because I wanted to check out the G10 material first. So this $20 was kind of a roll of the dice; it could have worked, but I don't think so. I really like the G10 though, I have to say.

One last thing: (and this betrays my lack of 'smithing abilities) the grip bushings on the gun were tight. I located as straight a flat blade as I could find, and I could not budge the bushings, not even a little. Being as how I didn't want to ruin them by ham-fisting them with an incorrect tool, I stopped. I think unless/until I put on a thick grip set (and I don't see that happening) I'll just leave the bushings be. If I do need to take them out, I'll look into investing into that Challis tool @CSW mentioned up thread. But for now, I don't think I'll need to get one of those, cool though they are.

On the gun front, I ordered a pair of Wilson Combat ETM (#500) 8 rounders, which arrived yesterday. I'll work them into the next range session. My goal for next time is to validate whether the gun really does shoot to the dot with AE 230. I'll probably also source a box of JHP to see where they pattern, expensive though that will be (this would only be for Pin Shooting purposes; this isn't a carry gun for me.)

Also en route from WC is one of their Ambi Safeties, (#192BBP, THUMB SAFETY, AMBIDEXTROUS, TACTICAL LEVER, 1911, BULLET PROOFฎ), which should be here next week. I've initiated contact with my 'smith and will schedule the install with him when convenient.

User Tag List