Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

While we're offering only somewhat solicited advice, I'm a fan of flathead grip screws and put them on each of my guns. It makes expedient tightening easier and over-torqueing harder.

And seconded regarding the bushings coming out. My Ed Brown had one come out when I tried to remove the grips, and I of course buggered it trying to separate it from the screw. The part of the process that I did correctly was stopping there, being patient and waiting for new bushings to ship, and then using a properly fitting screwdriver to put the new bushing in with red Loctite (I know I'm never putting slim grips on this gun). The other ones haven't loosened yet and I'm not going to mess with them until they do, but if that happens I have bushings on hand.

An easy way to avoid corrosion under the grips is to use carnauba wax on the frame. You can get fancy and buy Renaissance Wax (I bought a can about twenty years ago and still use it), but as someone who waxes his own Porsche you have the proper wax. You can also wax the polished flats of the slide and frame but I would avoid using the wax on matte surfaces.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    This, +10,000. Keep in mind, you have "slim" grips from the factory, so they theoretically have "slim" bushings - so don't black loctite them on! If you decide you want to go to "standard" grips, you'll have to replace the bushings.

I'd uninstall them, degrease them, degrease the threads, let them all dry, then hand tighten them with blue or MAYBE red loctite.
    This^^^ had a used 1911 with slim grips once where prior owner used Rockset on the bushings

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Got it thanks.

If ever proof was needed my timing is impeccable, I noticed that WC had a 20% off sale on mags this weekend. When I went to order yesterday, the sale was no longer active. I was bummed too because the WC BP Ambi Safeties were 20% off as well...
    If you didn't buy the WC safety, check this out: https://www.egwguns.com/hd-ambi-thumb-safety-ss It's the old King's Gun Works style.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Thanks all, much appreciate the sage advice. I had no clue about the grip screw bushings, or them coming loose in fact. Now looking at my picture, I see the little slots in the bushings (which I assume means I will finally need to order those gunsmithing screwdrivers I hear about.) Geez, it's like they designed this pistol in the early 1900's or something.

Geez, it's like they designed this pistol in the early 1900's or something.
    Wait until we get you hooked on Garands…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks all, much appreciate the sage advice. I had no clue about the grip screw bushings, or them coming loose in fact. Now looking at my picture, I see the little slots in the bushings (which I assume means I will finally need to order those gunsmithing screwdrivers I hear about.) Geez, it's like they designed this pistol in the early 1900's or something.
    RJ:
    Have you ever tried thin grips on a 1911?
    Not that the standard thickness grips are huge, but thins can be very comfortable depending on the size of your hands.
    Always liked the 1911, but once I tried thin grips....

There's a bushing tool that you should just get, because it is better than a screwdriver when it comes to install or removal.

Challis hex bushings will eliminate screwdriver screw ups.

https://www.challisgrips.com/p/49-Fu...Extractor.aspx
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    RJ:
    Have you ever tried thin grips on a 1911?
    Not that the standard thickness grips are huge, but thins can be very comfortable depending on the size of your hands.
    Always liked the 1911, but once I tried thin grips....

There's a bushing tool that you should just get, because it is better than a screwdriver when it comes to install or removal.

Challis hex bushings will eliminate screwdriver screw ups.

https://www.challisgrips.com/p/49-Fu...Extractor.aspx
    @RJ, for context, slim grips were what was on my Springfield TGO you shot at the Pin Shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Rich, I have to admit that was fun and funny to read. I have a feeling you are going to do well with your new pistol.
    Great! I may have mentioned I’ve always wanted a 1911. I told my wife today it was like holding a museum in my hand.

If you can’t tell I’m really enjoying this.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Wait until we get you hooked on Garands…
    I sent a picture to my son. First thing he said was ‘you need a Garand’. Heh.

User Tag List