Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

I miss my 325pd.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

45 acp is for folks who have never heard of 10mm
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    10mm is for gun hipsters.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    USP doesn't come in 10mm, but it shoots .45 Super just fine.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    *hurriedly closes internet browser tabs for M&P 10mm 4.6", Sig P320 10mm, and Google search for "Glock 20 Gen 5 when??!!"*

Yeah totally, damn...damn hipsters. damn them.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Could be true, I mean..... I also like CZ's lol

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    USP doesn't come in 10mm, but it shoots .45 Super just fine.
    Ain't nothing wrong with 45 Super 👍
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

I find myself in need of some .45 ACP 8 round magazines, and am looking for guidance between the two choices below, or something else.

Choice 1 is a Wilson Combat #500C-HD ETM at $48.95 list, ea. Low profile steel basepad.

Choice 2 is a Chip McCormick #M-PM-45FS8 at $35.95 list, ea. All steel follower.

Both are extended tube, steel 8 round mags, as far as I can tell. Is there any reason to go with one or the other? Or something else? I understand both are highly regarded.

Since I don't know what I don't know, I would just opt for the one that is cheaper and rock on. I plan to shoot mostly ball, but have a need to run +p occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I find myself in need of some .45 ACP 8 round magazines, and am looking for guidance between the two choices below, or something else.

Choice 1 is a Wilson Combat #500C-HD ETM at $48.95 list, ea. Low profile steel basepad.

Choice 2 is a Chip McCormick #M-PM-45FS8 at $35.95 list, ea. All steel follower.

Both are extended tube, steel 8 round mags, as far as I can tell. Is there any reason to go with one or the other? Or something else? I understand both are highly regarded.

Since I don't know what I don't know, I would just opt for the one that is cheaper and rock on. I plan to shoot mostly ball, but have a need to run +p occasionally.
    I've always found that the Wilson mags were ridiculously priced. Now that Wilson owns Chip McCormick, those prices have gone up as well. I've run the CM Shooting Stars and the Power mags with success. The Power mags have stiff springs out of the box so I would fully load them and let them sit for a while to soften up.

The RPM is a newer design that has rolled feed lips to add strength and make them last longer. Chip gave me some to try, and they worked well, but I don't shoot a 1911 as much as I once did.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Those two are fine in my guns, have some of both. Also I consider the CMC railed Power Mags which I purchased a couple of years ago to be their equal when it comes to 8 rounders. I really like Tripp Cobra mags too and mostly buy those now.

Thing is, this is not a standardized subject, there is not one universal answer because 1911's are in no way uniform in their dimensions and manufacture, barrel, ramp, exactly how high the magazine rides based on mag release, etc. etc.. It is possible that the 8 rounders that perform perfectly in my Dan Wesson or Colt guns will not run as well in some other because of some slight differences.

Been a few years since I checked and/or bought .45 mags, but my recollection is that the Tripp Cobra Mags, in at least the 8-rd mags, had a slightly longer tube than some of the other makers' mags. And the longer tube provided better spring travel, feeding, etc. Did place the Tripps 8-rd tube next to a competitor's, and the Tripps tube was a bit longer. I've always had terrific performance from the Tripp 8-rounders.

User Tag List