Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    There is part of me that wants an RIA 1911 just for the fun of having one.

Recently I was reminded of why I don’t want a 1911 sans FP safety. I was putting my P32 in my pocket and I somehow missed my pocket and the gun went tumbling to the floor. It hit the floor and the P32 bounced out of the holster.

Thankfully it has a FP safety.

I’ve never dropped a gun like that before, but it finally happened to me. No excuse, but I was likely dealing with a decent case of heat exhaustion/dehydration.

I wish the Series 80 was more common. If I could be gifted a .45 right now, I think I would go with a basic P220.
    I’m glad you’re okay, both from the dropped pistol and mostly from the heat exhaustion.

This is a perfect example of why we need redundant safeties. Not when we’re well rested, on a square range, but when we’re sick and distracted.

That said, modern 1911s without a FP safety generally have lightweight firing pins that don’t have enough mass to set off a primer when dropped from a certain height.

For my uses, that suffices. I only shoot 1911s recreationally, so I’m not concerned about a bump greater than normal unintentionally discharging the pistol, like in a car accident. I prefer an actual FP safety for carry or duty use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I’m glad you’re okay, both from the dropped pistol and mostly from the heat exhaustion.

This is a perfect example of why we need redundant safeties. Not when we’re well rested, on a square range, but when we’re sick and distracted.

That said, modern 1911s without a FP safety generally have lightweight firing pins that don’t have enough mass to set off a primer when dropped from a certain height.

For my uses, that suffices. I only shoot 1911s recreationally, so I’m not concerned about a bump greater than normal unintentionally discharging the pistol, like in a car accident. I prefer an actual FP safety for carry or duty use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. You very well may be right, but I would never *personally* feel comfortable with one. It may be an over the top thing, but it’s probably something to be aware of.

I wish I could be convinced they were drop safe, there are many I would like to look at just for the sake of having them.

On their current (and reasonably recent contempory) production Series 70 (non-firing pin safety) 1911s, I believe Colt uses the combination of a titanium firing pin and an extra-strength firing pin spring. That's sufficient for me.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    If anybody is interested in what those heights may be, the Drake Oldham 1911 drop tests

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    On their current (and reasonably recent contempory) production Series 70 (non-firing pin safety) 1911s, I believe Colt uses the combination of a titanium firing pin and an extra-strength firing pin spring. That's sufficient for me.

Best, Jon
    Ed Browns, and I think maybe Wilsons as well, get a similar result by using extra power FP springs and putting 9mm firing pins in all guns regardless of caliber. I gather the idea is to get to a sufficiently drop safe weight but still have a steel pin instead of titanium.

I’m personally fine with a mechanical drop safety or with the extra power spring plus 9mm or TI pin, but I also totally get why, for example, TLG specified Series 80 for his Heirloom build. If I was building a custom pistol I’d do the same.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    If anybody is interested in what those heights may be, the Drake Oldham 1911 drop tests

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm
    Noticed he used Winchester primers. I've had a gun run 100 percent on HST and fail to fire most of a magazine of Winchester white box when I messed with a too-light hammer spring.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Noticed he used Winchester primers. I've had a gun run 100 percent on HST and fail to fire most of a magazine of Winchester white box when I messed with a too-light hammer spring.
    You have a point. Federal 100 SPP are know to have the thinnest cup of all small pistol primers.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Another to add to the list of $1K MSRP 1911's - S&W E Series?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...ies?sku=108482

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  23.7 KB

MSRP of $1,037 for sku 108482, so it fits in with my target budget. No Ambi safety, but I can get around that; like all the other non-ambi options, I would just run it for a while as is and if things worked out, as a lefty I would get it fitted later, deferring that cost to down the road. Per the above discussion, the spec sheet says "titanium firing pin" which I infer means it is a Series 70 design. Steel three dot sights. Stainless with wood laminate grips; so BBQ gun factor would be high.

Anyone with previous experience with one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Anyone with previous experience with one of these?
    My veterinarian who is also a member of my gun club has had that stainless E series government model for years. I have shot his several times, it is solid and he reports zero issues, decent accuracy. He shoots it in single stack division once in a while. Sample of one.

His positive experience with that gun influenced me to buy one of the similar Pro series government models, but for my irrational negative attitude toward all stainless 1911's I might have gotten that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Another to add to the list of $1K MSRP 1911's - S&W E Series?

...the spec sheet says "titanium firing pin" which I infer means it is a Series 70 design.
    When introduced, the original S&W 1911's came with the Mochak designed firing pin safety operating off the grip safety. The introduction of the "E-Series" dropped the firing pin safety feature and as you note, use a titanium firing pin.

User Tag List