Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Since we are playing show and tell, I did not need another .45 since I have a ACW Prime .45 on order but always wanted one of these dudes and then DW discontinued them and used market was dry.

I argued with myself for days saying you did not need this. Still saying it but it's in my hands.

I wish there was bowling pin comps in my area, but work is busier than ever these days.

It came with factory thin grips which don't work well with me, but I had some scrap laying around to change the grips.

It will eventually sport a magwell. This piece is well fit, not a jingle one. Hope to take it to the range in a week or two.

Unfair follow up, the Valor is one of the greatest looking pistols, period. Great grips too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Just dropping in with the suggestion that if your 1911 experiment ends poorly, there's always the g21.

I'm a bit infatuated with mine of late. I even called that stupid flier. Maybe I'll upgrade the sights, but I have a G30 to run through its paces next so that may have to wait.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I really do love the G21. I hope they do the Gen 5 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    There was a link farther up the thread with a Ruger Target for $1016, and in stock. Maybe check that out?
    Thanks, yes, I did. The link referenced indicates they are currently sold out from that supplier. Basically at this point I can't do anything anyway, in terms of purchase, until I get back to FL in August. So I am spending time watching several sales on Gunbroker, to get an idea for actual transaction prices these days.

I did float the idea of a theoretical $1,200 1911 vs. a $800 1911 yesterday by SWMBO. I didn't exactly get a "no", but did get an eye roll and hip thrust, with pursed lips. Discussion which ensued made me realize if all I really need want is a .45 because America!, and to take to an annual shooting competition, I don't need a lot of add-on (but undeniably useful) features on it to do that.

Now, back to @LockedBreech 's S&W E Series shooting review. Really looking forward to it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks, yes, I did. The link referenced indicates they are currently sold out from that supplier. Basically at this point I can't do anything anyway, in terms of purchase, until I get back to FL in August. So I am spending time watching several sales on Gunbroker, to get an idea for actual transaction prices these days.

I did float the idea of a theoretical $1,200 1911 vs. a $800 1911 yesterday by SWMBO. I didn't exactly get a "no", but did get an eye roll and hip thrust, with pursed lips. Discussion which ensued made me realize if all I really need want is a .45 because America!, and to take to an annual shooting competition, I don't need a lot of add-on (but undeniably useful) features on it to do that.

Now, back to @LockedBreech 's S&W E Series shooting review. Really looking forward to it.
    I mean if you have a good smith locally that you’re happy with. You could buy the gun like the Ruger target or SA loaded and then get it checked later or get a mag well fitted. Or get a match barrel installed (if you don’t like what’s in it). You could let this grow into more as time and funds allow. But if you buy this baseline model and interest in bowling shoots and 1911’s wane. Then you could sell it.

Just my opinion. Whoever said you could have the gun checkered if it’s SS at a later date without refinishing was right (is the front strap bead blasted on the model you want?).

I’ve had the same thoughts. I enjoy 1911’s - I just wish mine were chambered in 9mm.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Gotcha. I’m in touch with Brandon Bunker (Bunker Custom Arms) who’s indicated he will help me out if I need a WC Ambi fitted. He’s around the corner from me, in fact.

And it may come to that, frankly.

I’ve been scouring the net for new, in stock options for a Ruger 6736 (Target) or a SA Loaded Target Stainless, but there are VERY few on the ground. Like one across the entire US few. I get the positives for a 1911 with a prefitted Ambi and Target sights, I really do.

But in order for me to buy a gun, it has to be for sale somewhere. I can see ending up going to a few local stores in Sarasota in August and selecting from what’s available, or in a days drive from me. I really do want the 1911 experience but I have the patience of a newt, so it won’t be at the cost of waiting months for a gun to be in stock.
    Gotcha. I’m in touch with Brandon Bunker (Bunker Custom Arms) who’s indicated he will help me out if I need a WC Ambi fitted. He’s around the corner from me, in fact.

And it may come to that, frankly.

I’ve been scouring the net for new, in stock options for a Ruger 6736 (Target) or a SA Loaded Target Stainless, but there are VERY few on the ground. Like one across the entire US few. I get the positives for a 1911 with a prefitted Ambi and Target sights, I really do.

But in order for me to buy a gun, it has to be for sale somewhere. I can see ending up going to a few local stores in Sarasota in August and selecting from what’s available, or in a days drive from me. I really do want the 1911 experience but I have the patience of a newt, so it won’t be at the cost of waiting months for a gun to be in stock.
    Shit dude if Bunker is down the street from you I'd just get a Garrison and have it modded up by him with an ambi safety and a reliability job.

And while yes, adjustable sights are nice, I will maintain that for something like a pin shoot, which isn't a 25 yard accuracy challenge, they're unnecessary if you correctly zero your fixed sights. I'd get whatever is available and modify as necessary.

Also there are adjustable Novak sights available too, and by all accounts, Springfield uses a Novak rear dovetail for the Garrrison.

Also there are adjustable Novak sights available too, and by all accounts, Springfield uses a Novak rear dovetail for the Garrrison.
    An "unauthorized" version of the Novak dovetail. https://www.novaksights.com/Content....ights%20101%22

It could be an exact fit, or it could be off significantly, and it could vary by gun.

edit to add: The bottom line from Novak, if our sights don't fit your Springfield, don't blame us.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    An "unauthorized" version of the Novak dovetail. https://www.novaksights.com/Content....ights%20101%22

It could be an exact fit, or it could be off significantly, and it could vary by gun.

edit to add: The bottom line from Novak, if our sights don't fit your Springfield, don't blame us.
    Oh dang that sucks...well then Ruger is what I'd get for sure. Just a plain jane SR1911 and add on the other goodies as needed. Again though, this is only operating on the assumption that an adjustable sight is needed for a pin shoot. Which I don't think is a valid assumption.

I don't use adjustable sights on any of my 1911s and I've shot 100/100 on B8s with fixed sight guns at 20 yards. Not an impressive achievement, but if correctly zeroed you're fine.

Plus I think adjustable sights just look like ass. My personal opinion.

Vending Machine Operator
    Oh dang that sucks...well then Ruger is what I'd get for sure. Just a plain jane SR1911 and add on the other goodies as needed. Again though, this is only operating on the assumption that an adjustable sight is needed for a pin shoot. Which I don't think is a valid assumption.

I don't use adjustable sights on any of my 1911s and I've shot 100/100 on B8s with fixed sight guns at 20 yards. Not an impressive achievement, but if correctly zeroed you're fine.

Plus I think adjustable sights just look like ass. My personal opinion.

Agreed. They just look clunky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Agreed. They just look clunky to me.

They are definitely not svelte.

I replaced the Kimber Bomar copies on both my .45s with Heinie a fixed rear made just for them. In addition to serving their purpose better, I do think the guns have cleaner lines now.

But I’m not using my guns for their factory-intended target purpose - they’re training analogies/backups to a carry gun. I can see why adjustables are recommended for trying to hit a specific part of a bowling pin at various ranges.

Pros and cons have been discussed.

I have plenty of 1911s. I've trained with them enough (and continue to do so) that the Pros outweigh the Cons. BUT...

I do normally carry a DA/SA handgun as of the last 5-6 years. Currently the flavor of the month is my HK P30 LEM modded by Greyguns. I love this gun so much that I bought a full size HK 45 LEM also done up by Grayguns.

I also have a P220 Carry (full size grip, short slide) with work done by SigArmorer that is a delight and gets carried plenty. Biggest benefit here is the slim magazine (same Pro can be found with classic 1911s) that is super easy to get out of my 5.11 Pants Mag Pocket. The wider HK and Beretta magazines arent as easy to retrieve from that pocket.

Would I enjoy the HK and the Sig as much if they werent modified? The Sig maybe... the HK unlikely.

What I do enjoy in either in modified or unmodified form are the Glocks in 45acp. Flat trigger shoe preferred but they shoot soft and are dead nuts reliable and accurate "enough".

Class time or competition rolls around? 2011 in 9mm or 1911 in 45acp 8 times out of 10.

User Tag List