Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I’m currently working on a fairly exhaustive step by step unboxing photo series, but as a sneak peek this is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever had happen to me ordering a gun.

Please note that this was the ONLY manual included.

The Universe has sent you a signal: Buy a revolver instead of a self-littering, bottom-feeding gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    RJ,

I followed this thread with interest, and after reading your last post regarding the Mini Cooper, I thought I’d add my thoughts.

You rebuilt a ‘67 Mini to original specs, the results of which were vetted by the man himself, John Cooper. Your Mini was not the slickest, fastest, most comfortable car you could have when purchased it, am I right? But, it had history, flair, was fun to drive, and presented an image you wanted to present, perhaps as a non-conformist. The Mini Cooper was considered an icon of the ‘60s. And the Cooper name had tradition and racing history behind it.

So, this tells me to recommend you buy a new stock, carbon steel, blued Colt Government 1911 series 70 model in .45 ACP. No 9mm, no stainless steel, no rails, and no fancy coating. You need the horse on the slide and the frame stamped Made in Hartford for a connection with tradition and history. It’s not the newest, and maybe not the most accurate or reliable (in OEM condition), but it presents an image for sure and is fun to drive.

Drive the Colt like you drove the Mini (or at least I hope so), learn how to shoot it, and then decide what modifications to add. Modifications do help the pistol. You can shoot it without an ambi-safety for awhile to decide what type to add. Don’t recoat it or cut the slide to add some fancy sights. Use Wilson 7 rd. magazines and Wilson fire control products. Buy a leather holster. Wear out the coating. There is nothing better than seeing a well-worn blue steel pistol.

Purchase a Colt 1911 now. In several years you’ll want one anyhow.

There are gonna be guys here who’ll say I’m wrong. They’ll point to this and that pistol, and tell you it’s shinier, cheaper, more reliable, more accurate, or cuter with blue triggers, etc. They might be right. I shoot G17s, but I have 2 Colt Government 1911s (modified) that shoot just as well as any pistol, and they will go to my boys

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Universe has sent you a signal: Buy a revolver instead of a self-littering, bottom-feeding gun.
    Haha! Pretty good excuse to grab a used no-lock. “Babe I already have the manual.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Haha! Pretty good excuse to grab a used no-lock. “Babe I already have the manual.”

LOL. Let us know how that turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Gotcha. I’m in touch with Brandon Bunker (Bunker Custom Arms) who’s indicated he will help me out if I need a WC Ambi fitted. He’s around the corner from me, in fact.

And it may come to that, frankly.

I’ve been scouring the net for new, in stock options for a Ruger 6736 (Target) or a SA Loaded Target Stainless, but there are VERY few on the ground. Like one across the entire US few. I get the positives for a 1911 with a prefitted Ambi and Target sights, I really do.

But in order for me to buy a gun, it has to be for sale somewhere. I can see ending up going to a few local stores in Sarasota in August and selecting from what’s available, or in a days drive from me. I really do want the 1911 experience but I have the patience of a newt, so it won’t be at the cost of waiting months for a gun to be in stock.
    There was a link farther up the thread with a Ruger Target for $1016, and in stock. Maybe check that out?

Vending Machine Operator
    Okay to start out the plastic blue S&W box just sucks. Hard to open, hard to close. But anywhere here is the unboxing. Stock magazines will, just like my Colt Series 80, immediately be replaced with Wilson ETMs. That approach put me north of 2K flawless rounds - 1500 without cleaning - in my Colt. But here are pics of the stock mags anyway.

Vending Machine Operator
    Left and right profiles.

Vending Machine Operator

The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

Chamber view (with flash for detail) empty and with 230-grain Gold Dot in ETM mag, holstered following cleaning and lubrication in a Mitch Rosen 5JR w/ Thumb Break, and a few other shots. I’m quite happy with first impressions, we’ll have to see how it shoots now.

Since we are playing show and tell, I did not need another .45 since I have a ACW Prime .45 on order but always wanted one of these dudes and then DW discontinued them and used market was dry.

I argued with myself for days saying you did not need this. Still saying it but it's in my hands.

I wish there was bowling pin comps in my area, but work is busier than ever these days.

It came with factory thin grips which don't work well with me, but I had some scrap laying around to change the grips.

It will eventually sport a magwell. This piece is well fit, not a jingle one. Hope to take it to the range in a week or two.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

The Valor is a solid pistol. They were an incredible deal when they first came out. No idea why DW discontinued them.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List