Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 445

Thread: The “I need a .45 but do I need a 1911?” thread

  1. #131
    Old man yelling at cloud OlongJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    "carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Anyone have experience with the P220 Super Match? Five-inch barrel (long slide for a P220), adjustable rear sight, SAO. The P220 version of a Government model. I remember one of the 1911 dorks on one of those forums saying it was more accurate than his 1911s, at least in his hands.

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/936306842

    @John Hearne
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-21-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    .
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

  2. #132
    Site Supporter Ichiban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Has anyone mentioned the FN-45 yet? I never shot one but I seem to recall some people really liking them. It is a double stack so the grip is, uhm, hefty.

    And speaking of double stacks, is the Para P14 still around? Pretty much zero after market support for those IIRC.

  3. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NW Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the FN-45 yet?
    It's hard to have an FN 45 mention and not share this video



    I'm sure that's probably a one time thing, and if not, FN has probably corrected the issue, but it is entertaining as heck.

  4. #134
    Site Supporter Ichiban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    ^^^^^^^^
    Gumby-gun.

  5. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    For general aesthetics and admiring, and potential BBQs, I'd go with the stainless Ruger and have an ambi-safety fitted.
    Yes, and I have one of the SR1911 Target versions in 9mm, and they come with the ambi, available and in stock in 45.

    And I think that adjustable rear sight might be pretty nice for what you want to do, I replaced mine with a Dawson with FO dots (it is the "Kimber" version, I know now, after the third try...) but damn, it looks like they may have discontinued it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Since this isn't a carry gun, vetting the mags for your usage will consist of running a couple of boxes through them.

    In addition to the previously mentioned Wilsons, Brownells makes 1911 magazines which are supposed to be good, and they warranty them.
    And right now 47Ds are on sale for the same price. Vetting magazines is, IMO, not a really big deal if you start from known entities. Just get some and use them for the practicing you oughta be doing anyway.

    Another thing I want to mention is that as a new potential 1911 user it probably sounds like buying a classic Ferrari with four downdraft Weber carburetors and a mechanical distributor that will have you constantly chasing your tail just to keep it functional long enough to drive around the block and be glad to make it back home, but it really is not like that. Get a brand that other people have had sucess with (I had a good experience with the three Rugers I recently bought), get some magazines other people have had some sucess with, and get some 230g ball that is not flawed in some manner and go shooting.

  6. #136
    Disenchanted American CSW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    The Granite State
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Since the Art and Science thread is getting more questions about other .45s and general 1911 questions, how about a thread for some of those discussions not directly related to keeping a 1911 fat and happy.

    I’m as guilty as anyone else so consider this an attempt at atonement…

    Smith 4506. The battleship of 3rd gen Smiths.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A bad day with a bald head is better than a good day with a man bun.

  7. #137
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Logic rules out the .45 ACP round for most of us. Knowledge members made the case. During the last 35 years reliable 9mm pistols and effective defense ammo have become available. In recent years(until recently)one could purchase 9mm ammo cheaper than he could reload it. I like revolvers chambered for 45 Auto round and enjoy shooting 1911's. Too, I have a truck load of components for the round. My shooting range has been along fields and streams. Need? I could have got by with a .22 pistol and any other of my centerfire handguns. Guys like @Clusterfrack who train regularly find that a modern 9mm handgun serves them best. They don't shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps and have little interest in single actions or plinking with 32's, 380's, .45 ACP's, or Grandma's Hi-Point.

    .45 Auto? I just remembered I told Stephanie I would send her a batch of factory 185 gr swc ammo.

  8. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Logic rules out the .45 ACP round for most of us. Knowledge members made the case. During the last 35 years reliable 9mm pistols and effective defense ammo have become available. In recent years(until recently)one could purchase 9mm ammo cheaper than he could reload it. I like revolvers chambered for 45 Auto round and enjoy shooting 1911's. Too, I have a truck load of components for the round. My shooting range has been along fields and streams. Need? I could have got by with a .22 pistol and any other of my centerfire handguns. Guys like @Clusterfrack who train regularly find that a modern 9mm handgun serves them best. They don't shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps and have little interest in single actions or plinking with 32's, 380's, .45 ACP's, or Grandma's Hi-Point.

    .45 Auto? I just remembered I told Stephanie I would send her a batch of factory 185 gr swc ammo.
    The premise of the thread was RJ seeking a gun to use for bowling pin matches. 9mm doesn’t have the energy to knock a pin down reliably. He’s not looking for a new carry gun or equipping a police department.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Logic rules out the .45 ACP round for most of us.
    Yes, but I am shooting what I have and even sniffing around others.

    I am comfortable with 1911 and 2011, but find PO, USP, and G21 bulky to hold.

    If S&W had made a Plastic M&P .45 Pro 5", I would have been interested at the time.

    I was interested in the XD 5.25 for a while but they don't make that one in .45 any more.

    My carry weapons have shrunk to subcompact 9mms, even my Commander doesn't get to town very often.

    But I am shooting USPSA with the .45 Buzzard 2011 because of component supplies. IDPA clubs near here are running .22 divisions to keep activity up and my Nelson Conversion is a real treat. So 9mm shooting is pretty occasional; I get practice with my G43 at GSSF.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

  10. #140
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The premise of the thread was RJ seeking a gun to use for bowling pin matches. 9mm doesn’t have the energy to knock a pin down reliably. He’s not looking for a new carry gun or equipping a police department.
    I disagree about the premise of the thread. RJ joined the discussion post number 23. Despite being a nice guy, he did not establish the thread's theme. To use his term, he "jumped in".

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •