Thread: Backup dot placement for optic

Backup dot placement for optic

Currently debating my backup dot setup. Led Acog 4x on a 16” Ar. Debating on running a micro/pistol dot on top or going offset dot.

For those that have used both, which do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t tried mounting a dot on top of the LPVO, but I do run a RDS on a 45 deg offset. This is on an AR w/ 16” bbl set up primarily for 3-gun w/ a 1-6x Razor and a Razor red dot, but I suppose it’d do nicely as an all-rounder AR.

The idea of putting it on top of the LVPO never occurred to me bc of the height-over bore and I don’t think I would be able to maintain a check-weld (chin-weld maybe?). Running the RDS on the offset I minimize height over bore and can maintain a check-weld. Canting the rifle to the side seems like a more natural and ergonomic feel, and the canted position feels more solid shooting on the move than upright with the LVPO set on 1x for some reason.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I haven’t tried mounting a dot on top of the LPVO, but I do run a RDS on a 45 deg offset. This is on an AR w/ 16” bbl set up primarily for 3-gun w/ a 1-6x Razor and a Razor red dot, but I suppose it’d do nicely as an all-rounder AR.

The idea of putting it on top of the LVPO never occurred to me bc of the height-over bore and I don’t think I would be able to maintain a check-weld (chin-weld maybe?). Running the RDS on the offset I minimize height over bore and can maintain a check-weld. Canting the rifle to the side seems like a more natural and ergonomic feel, and the canted position feels more solid shooting on the move than upright with the LVPO set on 1x for some reason.
    This has been my experience as well. I tried the top mounted red dot, and found the height over bore and lack of solid cheekweld made it a non workable setup for me. I like the offset red dot. 35 degree on a Bager COMM J arm. For me it is a very ergonomic setup. In close quarters, I find that I compress the rifle, and the offset red dot naturally comes up where I am already holding the rifle canted inboard.

I've tried both 35/45 degree offset and 12:00 piggyback.

45 deg offset: consistently faster when standing squared up on a target. Depending on your setup it can stick pretty far out the side.

12:00 piggyback: consistently easier to use prone, around barricades, weak side, and through ports.

Decide what's important to you. Ive used 12:00 for many years now and prefer it for versatility. You can absolutely learn to shoot it quickly with a chin weld. Offsets are trainable.

I have been leaning towards the top mount for a micro that arisaka is tooling up right now. I like the simplicity of it and durability.

I guess I had hoped for more end users that have ran acogs with backup dots lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List