Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Protection

Site Supporter

Eye Protection

With recent eye surgery, it looks like I'll be able to go to the range with standard eye pro versus corrective lenses. Any recommendations?

They are too rich for my blood, but another shooter let me try these at a match: https://huntershdgold.com/

They really do work as advertised.

Since I tend to very quickly lose or break any expensive eyewear, but seem to never lose or break the cheap stuff, I use these: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Gla...s%2C145&sr=8-7

I can't find a link, but I was able to buy a package with three grey, three clear, and three amber pairs. Three years later, I still have two of each tint, in the bag. I haven't lost or broken any of the ones I use. I swap them out depending on the lighting conditions.

Rudy Project Rydons are very popular and lenses are available in a wide variety of colors and features (polarized, photo-chromic, etc. The Hunters Gold are popular, but I didn't find they worked well for steel challenge where the white targets don't present much contrast relative to the sandy soil background. I do need a prescription so I'm using prescription lenses from Sight for Sport Eyes for my Rudy Project Rydons, a light brown (50% transmission) on bright days and clear lenses for heavy overcast and winter.

I've been using the Rudy Project Tralyx Slim with ImpactX photochromic lenses since 2018. I'm still on my original lenses after hundreds of hours of use, and they're holding up great. The photochromic capability isn't quick enough to adjust on the fly if you're going from outdoors to indoors, but it's perfect for gradually changing lighting conditions like you find on the range in the morning and evening.

Previously, I was an Oakley M-Frame 2.0 fan. They are very comfortable under ear-pro with their flat temples, but every pair of Oakley lenses I've owned has started delaminating at the edges after about six months of use. I keep a pair of M-Frames in the bag of spare equipment I take with me to classes, but other than that, I don't use them much.

I briefly tried the Smith Optics Aegis Echo II but subjectively felt the lenses were twice as thick as the M-Frames and I didn't care for their appearance as much. They do have nicely flat temples, though.

Ideally, you want something that meets the MIL-PRF 31013 rating. Most safety glasses meet the ANSI Z87.1 standard, which is a good baseline, but the MIL standard requires protection against frag moving at a much higher speed than Z87.1, which means better protection against things like fragmentation coming off steel targets. Anything on the Army's APEL list will meet that standard.

Site Supporter
    Based on the Army APEL list, I went with an ESS Crossbow 2 frame (one of them has thinner temples so as to seal better with ear pro) 3 lense (grey, clear, rose) set.

Before that, I used M Series Oakleys as per Pat Rogers (RIP). They saved some eye issues for sure when I had a double charge at Gunsite in 06 or 07.

Many in the competitive world and those on the list have been Rudy Project fans. I confess I derive a bit more confidence from a product on the APEl list.

This is the one area not to ever scrimp on.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I've used a pair of WileyX Romer 3's both as outdoor range eyewear and general-use sunglasses for a couple years now, no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Based on the Army APEL list, ....
    Thanks, I hadn't heard of that list. Here's a link:

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/Equi...d-Eyewear-QPL/

(FWIW, the Honeywells looked familiar. I looked them up ... $13 bucks or so at Amazon. Some others are ... a lot more)

I have been using Oakley 3.0s for like a decade now. The lenses do delaminate, but whatever, replacement lenses off of OakleySI are relatively cheap (for the bog standard grey and clear, anyway, the laser lens was not cheap). That being said, I have been eyeing the Revision ShadowStrike, as it has photochromic lenses that are still ballistic rated, even if it isn't on the APEL list in that configuration.

A bunch of years ago I got the Rudy Rydons with multi-pack of different lenses ranging from clear, amber, brown, bronze, and racing red. Depending on the range condition there’s usually one color lens that works, with Racing Red being my favorite. Last fall I got a set of photochromatic lenses in Racing Red. Since then I haven’t changed lenses even during multi-day matches with a range of conditions from Cameo to CMP to Area 1 in Idaho. They worked perfect in all lighting conditions from early morning light, middle of the day sun, and rain/overcast.

Consider eye shields that attach to your normal glasses. I use them for steel so i don't catch a fragment behind the glasses. Amazon has them for good prices.

User Tag List