Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortest range for meaningful feedback?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You bench a rifle (or pistol) to take the "loose nut behind the trigger" out of the equation to greatest extent possible so you can see what the gun / ammo (they are a system) are capable of. There is no "we" because the idea is to take "you" out of the equation.

Once you measure that mechanical capability there isn't significant benefit to shooting benched.

Appropriate distance depends on target size.

Iron sight dot torture starts at 3 yards. for RDS handguns it start at 5 or 7 depending on who you ask.

Remember at 3/5/7 yards bore / sight offset is a thing.

This thread has many printable targets with small ( 1, 2 & 3" ) aiming zones useful at short range:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ntable-Targets
    Thanks, I found that 2" circles at 5 / 7 yds are certainly more humbling than index cards

I can't shot a benched pistol to save my life. I consistently shoot better groups freestyle than benched with a pistol. I've tried several different rests and methods and just can't do it.

The small targets up close thing is real. My go-to is a 7/8" paster at 7yds. Try to keep 10 rounds in that. If that's too hard, maybe a 1.5" circle. If that's too hard at 7yds, move it back to 5yds.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I can't shot a benched pistol to save my life. I consistently shoot better groups freestyle than benched with a pistol. I've tried several different rests and methods and just can't do it.

The small targets up close thing is real. My go-to is a 7/8" paster at 7yds. Try to keep 10 rounds in that. If that's too hard, maybe a 1.5" circle. If that's too hard at 7yds, move it back to 5yds.
    Have you tried different types of rests?

My favorite is one with a solid V post in front that can’t rotate and a small anti skid pad on the bench so I can get my normal shooting grip (and trigger press) behind it. I have the gun resting high and crush down for added stability.

I do find that I still have to concentrate quite a bit on my trigger press still though.

User Tag List