Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CR123 EDC Lights - One Cell or Two?

CR123 EDC Lights - One Cell or Two?

For lights that use CR123 batteries, do you prefer 1-cell lights or the larger 2-cell lights?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

It all depends, but for the most part I prefer 2 cell. I like 2 cells for their output, battery life, and maneuverability. They are also small enough to always have around, but not so small that you’ll lose it if if you drop or misplace it. Because of the extra size, they are easier to hold while doing actives like shooting, running, etc.

I think 1 cells for EDC are sort of a waste of space… they’re smaller than 2 cells, but not small enough to warrant the loss in output of the 2 cells. They are only slightly shorter, but with the same diameter, so you loose a lot of the maneuverability. If you wanted something small for key chain or car light, are much smaller light with proprietary batteries that would be easier to carry for Those purposes.

Two cell Surefire “Tactician”, pretty much on a daily basis.
    I can understand a single cell, but I prefer the “hand filling” two cells

Two, please.

I used to carry a single cell light as I thought the smaller size would make it better for EDC. Felt I wasn't getting enough light for all use cases in urban areas, so I switched to a thin bodied two cell light, the Surefire Tactician. I have noticed exactly zero difference in "carryability" between this and the earlier single cell lights. The key seems to be the thinness of the light body.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    It Depends....? Rambling follows

For me, as someone who lives/works/plays in a decidedly urban/suburban environment who has to wear a jacket/tie-my 2010 1 cell Quark 4 Sevens is bright (180-200ish lumens?) enough yet small enough in every way. I want to like my Malkoff upgraded 1 cell E1B (300ish lumens ) as much but the wider bezel makes it just enough bigger for pocket carry that it can impact the line/drape of my slacks/pants ( Ergo my inquiry for a super low profile kydex light carrier.)

My Malkoff upgraded 6Ps ( 450ish lumens) are fine but are clearly optimized for belt carry unless I am full on casual and untucked.

If I was buying tomorrow, my turn key solution would likely be the Surefire Tactical (EDCL1 and 2 series) 1 cell for folks like me, the two cell for folks who live/work where things are darker or never dress up. I could probably talk myself into buying one presuming I could source a light carrier that I was happy with. I would keep the quark for old times sake as it was recommended to me by TLG (RIP) in one of our friday on the way to the range telephone chats and the Surefires would be household/tool box lights.

The gas pedal switchology, true lumen output, Made in the USA and the QC and CS that "generally" goes with that would drive my train against admittedly innovating PRC chinese companies and Streamlight who can deliver brighter/smaller/often rechargeable packages for less money.

Having said all of that, most of us urban/suburbanites could more than get by with Surefire Sidekick or similar form factors by Fenix/Olight/Streamlight that are rechargeable, 250 lumens and about the size of a small altoids container.

Final note: if your flashlight is also pulling potential defensive impact duty for whatever reason, step up to the two cell.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-19-2022 at 09:14 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Both.

I usually carry the larger one, though.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

With the use of Li-ion rechargeable cells, there is no difference in light output between the one and two cell configurations for most of the Malkoff E-series heads. The larger Li-ion cell in a 2-cell body does provide double the run time.

Speaking of the classic Quarks, the 1-cell versions are simply too short for me to get a useful grip on. The single-AA size body (using a Li-ion 14500 cell), which results in a light about four inches long, is just long enough for me to get a good grip. Combined with a head diameter of 0.860" it does indeed disappear in just about any pocket. The light weight of these lights is also a substantial benefit for carry in dress pants.

With the E-size lights, the 1-cell version with a Malkoff head is also about four inches long. The 2-cell body bumps AOL up to about 5-1/4" inches, which I find optimal for ergonomics/handling while remaining quite pocketable in most casual wear pants.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the E-series 2-cell bodies is the ability to run most high-output heads on a pair of CR123 cells. I still use Li-ion in those cases, but for many the ability to use CR123 batteries is an important consideration.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I prefer the two-battery lights for most applications. Specifically, I prefer rechargeable 18650's with a dual fuel capability. While one can get great lighting from a one cell today, the size and shape of a two cell also makes it easier for tactical and general use.

Two. It's easier to draw and activate reliably compared to the short lights

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Two. It's easier to draw and activate reliably compared to the short lights
    Why? Say more...
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List