Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 12 GA Slugs

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    What if I need to get through/crush a large animal skull or bones, very large.
    Brenneke slugs in general do a good job of penetration. But Brenneke specifically makes versions of their slugs that are made with a very hard lead alloy designed to perform exactly that task.

The Federal Tru-Ball Deep Penetrator slugs are copper coated and do a good job of staying intact and penetrating very deeply.
    3/15/2016

Sabot slugs

Sabot rounds work better in rifled barrels… not smooth bores. The sabot doesn’t have the built it rifling to stabilize the round like a slug has.
    Last edited by Pnut; 07-26-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Brenneke slugs in general do a good job of penetration. But Brenneke specifically makes versions of their slugs that are made with a very hard lead alloy designed to perform exactly that task.

The Federal Tru-Ball Deep Penetrator slugs are copper coated and do a good job of staying intact and penetrating very deeply.
    Trying to research the different Brenneke slugs. I can't tell which would be best. I'm thinking just the Classic? What's the deal with the Green Lightning?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Trying to research the different Brenneke slugs. I can't tell which would be best. I'm thinking just the Classic? What's the deal with the Green Lightning?
    I think their Black Magic Magnum is the hardest and most penetrating slug they sell as "hunting" ammunition...and it would likely do just fine especially as it's a 3" magnum slug.

Their Special Forces Barrier penetrator might be a harder alloy than their BMM, but I don't know of any objective testing that shows a difference in composition between them.

The Federal Tru-Ball deep penetrators are no slouch either, especially the ones running at 1,600 FPS...which is about as much as you can cram into a 2 3/4" load.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-26-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    3/15/2016

I tested the Brenneke TKO slug. This is a 293gr "tin" slug. It is a sabot round, meant for smooth OR rifled bores. It has a polymer plug which acts as the (packing?) beneath the slug within the sabot. It looks like the high-end version of a Topas, except using tin as part of Brenneke's non-toxic effort. The slug is advertised as having a MV of 2001fps. I did not chronograph it.

I tagged my 2/3 IPSC 5/5 times at 75 yards seated.

I backed off to 100 yards and tagged it 3/3.

This is using a Benelli M4 with H2 on top, 14" barrel. Slung up shooting from the seated.

Of note, I aimed COM for all shots.

I'd like to test it further before making more comment, as well as have found ZERO data on its terminal performance, but I can say it shoots very flat and is one of the most accurate slugs at 100 yards that I've tested.

I chronographed one of these at 1612fps at 10ft from the muzzle of my 14" M4, on the way to milk jugs full of water at 25m. It exploded the first 2, and passed clean through the last 2 in the stack, leaving a jagged slug-sized hole. I did not recover this slug. I am guessing expansion was minimal, but can't truly say. I did recover some from my berm that hit steel plate, and they deformed similar to lead slugs, so it's not especially brittle. If I were forced to guess, I'd say it deforms similarly to the Brenneke Classic Magnum with regard to the radial area, with some "buldge" added due to the hollowpoint up front, but nothing grotesque. The exit in the 4th jug was sufficiently jagged while still roughly circular to make me think the edges remain "sharp" like other Brennekes.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 07-27-2022 at 09:51 AM.

The classic is legit. Performs excellent.

Grizzly slugs?

Lots of great info in this thread and I appreciate the wisdom. I'm going to be camping in grizzly territory for a few weeks soon. What slug would be best for camp defense out of a Benelli M1?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    Lots of great info in this thread and I appreciate the wisdom. I'm going to be camping in grizzly territory for a few weeks soon. What slug would be best for camp defense out of a Benelli M1?
    Sounds like Brenneke Black Magic is the ticket

Site Supporter
    I've never seen 3 inch magnum 12 gauge slugs recommended for bears. My guess is that their additional recoil does not justify any ballistic advantage. Any comments?

User Tag List