Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 GA Slugs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Those aren't the low recoil though.
    LE127RS is the part number for Low Recoil. LEF127RS is the part number for full boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Further, it appears it is meant to remain attached to the slug until (beyond?) target impact. This article indicates it is meant for smooth bore, as well as rifled.
    https://www.gunsweek.com/en/ammuniti...-speed-hunting

As best I can tell, the wad is meant to stay WITH the slug until (beyond?) impact. This will remove my #1 complaint about Brenneke ammunition, which is that it behaves very erratically past 50m if the wadding separates from the slug, which I have found it to do with alarming regularity when using some rounds, such as the "Orange Slug", while other offerings like the Classic Magnum are very accurate.
    Name:  678BE1C1-3094-43E9-B820-00932913E4C3.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  37.3 KB

This artist rendition from that Gunsweek article seems to show the sabot and slug parting ways just past the muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Name:  678BE1C1-3094-43E9-B820-00932913E4C3.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  37.3 KB

This artist rendition from that Gunsweek article seems to show the sabot and slug parting ways just past the muzzle
    You look to be correct. I intend to test them out soon.

My Topas slugs arrived and Ive shot them some. They are a solid "meh". At 50 yards accuracy was about on par with le127rs hydrashok, as was recoil. At 100 yards with my m4 entry, standing, 4 of 4 missed a 2/3 ipsc target. Of the federal, 2/4 hit. The slug itself weighs 292.9gr, and the federal, 434gr. I'll take the 150gr advantage over a couple hundred fps (I didn't chronograph). The wad is like a bird shot wad, but the petals are joined by tiny bits. They shred off of the slug, which is backed by about 1/3" fiber wad, which is loose in the shot cup under it. Just the slug makes it down range to target.

All in all, I prefer the larger federal hydrashok for accuracy, etc. and won't be buying any more topas.

Unobtanium - Thanks for the quick review!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Unobtanium - Thanks for the quick review!
    No problem. I wanted to like them, but there's just no reason I could find TO like them. Mag capacity limiting length. Sub 300gr weight. No accuracy benefit. Just...why?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Is there any particular brands of quality 1oz 12ga slugs that produces less fouling?
    Fiocchi's JM branded slugs are polymer coated and do a great job of reducing leading. They're 7/8 ounce moving at a moderate velocity, but they're accurate in all of my shotguns and offer mild recoil:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1836188698/

I've found Fiocchi's uncoated slugs in general produce fairly low levels of leading. I was given about 500 assorted Fiocchi slugs and I've used a bunch of them for practice without needing to break down and do heavy de-leading.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 06-24-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I found the Fed TruBall deep penetrator to be pretty punishing. I mostly run the reduced recoil Slugger because it’s easier to shoot and still makes a big hole. I guess it depends what you want that slug to do.
    They make a LE load that pushes the same slug at ~ 1300 FPS that is much more pleasant to deal with. It can be hard to find, though.
    3/15/2016

Is any of this affected by a chrome bore? Do they foul less? Clean easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    They make a LE load that pushes the same slug at ~ 1300 FPS that is much more pleasant to deal with. It can be hard to find, though.
    This stuff?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List