Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 640 Pro Sight Removal

640 Pro Sight Removal

Bought and carry a 640 Pro with night sights by Trijicon. Bought it back in 2013, Night Sights are getting way dim, about 20% illumination left. Call to S&W CS with serial number told me who made the sights. Sending the sights back for lamp replacement. Need to get them off the little round gun. Don't want to use a punch to drift left to right and off.

Have had the sights basted with Kroil for a couple of days, need recommend on how to remove from firearm. Sight pusher? Which one? Other methods that do not involve a punch and hammer?

Site Supporter
    Sight pushers are expensive. Do you have a local dealer? Start there.

Site Supporter
    I've never seen a sight pusher for a revolver. I would assume you'll need to remove the cylinder and put it in a good padded vice and take a hammer and punch to it. Putting it in the freezer overnight may help, had to do that with a Shield several years back.

I live in Idaho and gunsmiths that work on handguns are few and far between. I have a friend that is an "amateur" handgun mechanic. He has a sight pusher and he's in the hospital. I've thought about removing the cylinder and the grips and see if I can get them out with a pusher. Do not want to pound on the sights as Trijicon will put new lamps in for "cheap".

S&W CS says to deal with Trijicon. I guess I will wait for friend who is a decent machinist to come home from Hospital. I'm amazed at two things about Idaho. One, all the "gunsmiths" here want to build rifles and two, very few organized ranges and competitions.

Site Supporter
    This is the best tool I have found:

https://www.wyomingsightdrifter.com/

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Sight-Drifter

I haven't used it on a revolver, but I think it would work.

Site Supporter
    I've had some sights that I was able to drift out using a nylon hammer (and if they needed a little more persuasion, adding a nylon punch to the fray) without having to resort to using metal punches or my sight tool.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod12588.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-prod513.aspx

Thanks for the suggestions. That Wyoming sight drifter looked impressive. When I went to the Wyoming Sight Drifter site after reading and watching the ads, my computer locked up. Cursor refused to move. Had to shut computer off and restart. Didn't see any price or phone number for Wyoming unit. Have nylon punch and hammer will try it first. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. That Wyoming sight drifter looked impressive. When I went to the Wyoming Sight Drifter site after reading and watching the ads, my computer locked up. Cursor refused to move. Had to shut computer off and restart. Didn't see any price or phone number for Wyoming unit. Have nylon punch and hammer will try it first. Thanks again.
    Price is right there on the store page. $35 for the basic unit. "Click the image to order", gets you to a very normal looking shopping cart type ordering page.

(Not seeing a phone number either.)

Well, sights off! Will add a pic later. Good padded vise, a couple of brass punches and a 1 lb ball peen hammer. Had to work up to the ball peen, but they are off and packaged for Trijicon and the vials are not broken nor the sights misshapened. Success, with prayer! Dovetails are very narrow and sharp.

Dovetail is shallow and sharp. Trijicon says turnaround time is two weeks.

User Tag List