Thread: S&W Shield 9mm Gen 1: Magazine Springs

S&W Shield 9mm Gen 1: Magazine Springs

Hello,

I have been researching the issue of magazine springs for the S&W M&P Shield 9mm Gen 1. I never came across great data so I though I'd contribute here. In late 2014 I purchased my Gen 1. I kept both 7rd and 8rd magazines loaded 24/7, 365. I go to the range on average 10 times per year, where I use this pistol and magazines.

In May 2020 I experienced failures with my 7 round magazine. After investigation I discovered the OEM spring for the 7 round magazine had collapsed in on itself at a 90 degree angle; this is a well documented issue with Gen 1 Shield 9mm magazines. With that, I purchased the Wolff +5% XP replacement springs (SKU 78983) to replace the springs in my two original and one extra 8 round magazine I purchased sometime between these events. I also added Hyve +2 extensions at this time

The following is what Shield 9mm magazines look like after 2 years of 24/7, 365 of being fully loaded with the superior Wolff XP springs. (8 w/ +2 Hyve Extension, making 10 round magazines.)

Please note: The Shield 9mm uses the same spring for OEM 7 & 8 round magazines. The Hyve extension uses either the OEM or Wolff spring.

2 Year Used Wolff (Left) VS New Wolff (Right)

5 Year used OEM (Left) VS 2 Year used Wolff (Center) VS New Wolff (Right)

New OEM (Left) VS New Wolff (Right)

2 Year used Wolff (Left) VS 5 Year used OEM

Also worth noting, the Wolff springs will not fit inside of ETS magazines. The ETS body has a greater thickness, because it's plastic, vs the thin metal of OEM. The bottom/wider portion of the spring is just too big to work. The ETS 9 round magazine seems to have OEM spring length but the 12 round ETS magazine is a bit longer than OEM by about 1/2 inch.

ETS 9 round, ETS 12 round, Hyve 10 round spare, Hyve 8 round in gun, and Trex Arms Gen 1 holster.

The magazines with the 2020 Wolff springs functioned flawlessly at the range last weekend. I shot about 150 rounds of Blazer aluminum 115GR.
    Last edited by trajiiic; 06-17-2022 at 06:21 PM.
    "Follow me!"

Just a quick update. The ETS magazines (9rnd, 12rd) functioned fine at the range with ball and IMI JHP. The only issue is that the slide does not lock to the rear. I think they are still a good choice for range use.
    "Follow me!"

Site Supporter
    Good to know. I had a gen 1 Shield 9 for about a month. Both magazine springs failed hard at less than 200 rounds through the gun - where you see the 90 degree bend on your tired 7 round spring, I had tied up and non-functional messes.

Decided that wasn’t for me and ditched it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Good to know. I had a gen 1 Shield 9 for about a month. Both magazine springs failed hard at less than 200 rounds through the gun - where you see the 90 degree bend on your tired 7 round spring, I had tied up and non-functional messes.

Decided that wasn’t for me and ditched it.
    I hear you. I can't say anything bad about this pistol, as far as reliability, other than the OEM mag spring issue. IDK if S&W every truly fixed the magazine spring issue. Other forums report that they would simply send you a new spring free of charge, but no reports if the spring or material were changed. Since I've owned this pistol I haven't experienced a single malfunction other than that wonky mag OEM spring.

If I were to buy a new shield, I'd get the Shield Plus 9mm. A friend got one and I shot them side-by-side. The OEM trigger, grip texture, grip width, and factory night sights were perfect. The Shield Plus thread seems to indicate some issues with getting 13 rounds in the OEM magazine, but we didn't experience that with the 4 13 round mags included in the Palmetto State Armory bundle he purchased.

As of right now, I have money invested in my Gen 1 system and it hasn't failed me yet. So it's going to continue to be my EDC.
    "Follow me!"

I bought a Shield when they first came out. Had to have one and got jacked on the price and ended up with a version that had a heavy trigger spring.

I spent more money on the Apex duty kit and 10-8 sights and its been a reliable with my only issue being the Hyve extensions that I sold and went back to 8s.

I was not getting reliable feeding with the Hyves. I have had zero issues on the same mag springs since day one. I keep 4 mags loaded and I think I have two more BNIB.

Decent accuracy for a small piece. It is one of my off duty carrys when I want to go small.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I bought a Shield when they first came out. Had to have one and got jacked on the price and ended up with a version that had a heavy trigger spring.

I spent more money on the Apex duty kit and 10-8 sights and its been a reliable with my only issue being the Hyve extensions that I sold and went back to 8s.

I was not getting reliable feeding with the Hyves. I have had zero issues on the same mag springs since day one. I keep 4 mags loaded and I think I have two more BNIB.

Decent accuracy for a small piece. It is one of my off duty carrys when I want to go small.
    Cool, I went with the Apex Carry kit after only a few months of owning the pistol. I later put XS big dot sights on it. I think they are great for 15yds and in.

I've never used the Hyve extensions with the OEM spring. I've always used the Wolff springs with them and have yet to encounter an issue with the 5 I own.
    "Follow me!"

Quote Originally Posted by trajiiic View Post
    Cool, I went with the Apex Carry kit after only a few months of owning the pistol. I later put XS big dot sights on it. I think they are great for 15yds and in.

I've never used the Hyve extensions with the OEM spring. I've always used the Wolff springs with them and have yet to encounter an issue with the 5 I own.
    maybe thats where I messed up and did not look for a aftermarket spring as I was reading posts using factory springs with success.

to me, mag extensions should include the correct spring.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List