Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New FBI info, Active Shooters

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm also curious on the background of the statistics, such as if there was a change in how information was collected or categorized.
    DingDingDingDing.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Central Texas has become a shooting gallery. Killeen, home of Ft Hood, is constantly in the news for its shootings. In Waco there have been numerous murders this year. In the Central Texas shootings most if not all have involved minority persons according to my friends in l.e.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm also curious on the background of the statistics, such as if there was a change in how information was collected or categorized.
    I hear on the news frequently that mass shootings are defined as four or more persons wounded or killed. I think that definition was settled on just a few years ago by the FBI for stats but I'm not sure about that. But the "conventional wisdom" was NOT that low of threshold I don't think.

In any case, that scoops up tons of gangland shootings.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

There is a general breakdown of morals and values in society. Headlines say the belief in God is at an all time low. Younger generations are disconnected from reality. They live in a virtual world and have a greater connection to their electronic devices than other humans.

The family unit has been under constant attack by the Left for decades. Civility is a concept of the past. Now if you disagree with a political ideology you can be subject to loss of employment, ridicule, assault or worse. If we have no respect for our unborn then why does anyone else matter?

The number of people suffering from mental health issues is off the charts. We have a burgeoning industry of gender reassignment which will ultimately result in more unstable people. I'm sorry but all this sex vs gender crapola is ridiculous. Throw in pharmacology because Big Pharma has to make a buck and we have oodles of mind altered people everywhere.

The trend has been to virtually ignore youthful lawbreaking to as I heard it, "end the pipeline to prison". Yet what has been accomplished is embodiment of the criminal element. By not enforcing the law society is fostering a upcoming generation of law breakers.

I don't have a good feeling about the direction we are headed in. Stay strapped or get clapped!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Keep it on topic and apolitical.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    NIBRS, as a system, provides data that underreports crime to begin with too. With the old system, if you and three friends were eating lunch and I walked up and robbed all four of you, it would have been reported as four robberies. With NIBRS, since it’s based on the “incident,” it’s reported as one robbery because I robbed you all in a single “incident.”
    How sure are you on that? UCR (the old system) only counted the highest crime, but current NIBRS counts multiple offenses even for single victim incidents. That means NIBRS data actually increases the amount of crime reported. Neither would effect murder data, as murder is always the highest charge. However say there's a rape and a murder, before the rape would not have counted for that victim since only the higher crime of murder would get into UCR.

I'm 100% sure current NIBRS collects offenses for each victim as we report it. It also gathers relationship between each, etc. Data is broken down in to to total incidents (your 'one robbery) and total offenses / total victims. All can be pulled independently. I know not every agency reports in NIBRS, though.

https://www.dontnamethem.org/

The link in the article to this organization contains some interesting info. Something I've been preaching for years is the media actively encourages active shooters by making them celebrities.

Q: What is the news media’s role in this? Do they push up the numbers?
    A: It appears that yes, national media coverage does end up increasing the frequency of these tragedies. However, the U.S. Constitution ensures freedom of the press ... we cannot legislate restrictions on the press to avoid this. It has to be a voluntary move. In fact, most press agencies will not report on suicides for exactly this reason ... suicides have been shown to be contagious. The sheriff in Oregon made the decision not to mention the killer's name. Perhaps his choice will be the beginning of a larger national conversation on how we can choose (or choose not) to cover these events.
    But we know they won't because the public appetite for it is strong enough to suck in a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How sure are you on that? UCR (the old system) only counted the highest crime, but current NIBRS counts multiple offenses even for single victim incidents. That means NIBRS data actually increases the amount of crime reported. Neither would effect murder data, as murder is always the highest charge. However say there's a rape and a murder, before the rape would not have counted for that victim since only the higher crime of murder would get into UCR.

I'm 100% sure current NIBRS collects offenses for each victim as we report it. It also gathers relationship between each, etc. Data is broken down in to to total incidents (your 'one robbery) and total offenses / total victims. All can be pulled independently. I know not every agency reports in NIBRS, though.
    I’m totally open to the idea that im wrong here. The way I explained NIBRS was how one of the dispatchers and one of the records clerks at my old place explained it to me.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    This has been known for years and the criminologists/psychologists/other social scientists have been on this since Columbine strongly (and even before).

The naming issue is only part of the story. Other points:

1. Revisiting the tragedy on an anniversary of the shooting or after a new shooting. Just a motivation for new ones.

2. Interviews with crying survivors and families. The shooter imagines the harm he or she will cause. This is confirmation. We understand the needs for presentation of grief and sympathy. However, the shooter likes seeing the harm (called vicarious reinforcement in social learning theories for many years). For example, you have a beef with the good looking football player and the good looking cheerleader. Show a picture of them dead and their families suffering.

Of course we have free speech problems. We are going to see lawsuits against gun and ammo companies for advertising that seems to prime aggression. Remington (or whatever entity it was) settled. Portraying the killing power, stopping power of your product as compared to its defensive use is going to come back to bite you. I've posted the Wilson discussing of razor sharp cutting blades from their expanded rounds.

Lehigh Maximum Expansion bullets expand with razor sharp petals positioned and maintained at the largest diameter to provide the greatest cutting surface. The expansion process of Lehigh's technology is unique from that of a traditional lead jacketed bullet that expands when it comes in contact with a hard surface – we designed these bullets to expand in the vital zone of your intended target
    When someone is fantasizing killing the good looking football player and the good looking cheerleader, the member of the hated ethnic group, political enemy, etc. does this prime aggression or is a component in the priming? See you in court.

Make the prose defensive, IMHO. The increase in purchasing by minorities, etc. argue that usage is a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m totally open to the idea that im wrong here. The way I explained NIBRS was how one of the dispatchers and one of the records clerks at my old place explained it to me.
    Not everybody is reporting on the most current, but from the guide:

NIBRS submissions are based on five basic units of count:
    1. Incidents. Count one incident for each Group A Incident reported via the Administrative
    Segment with a unique incident number, i.e., law enforcement agency case number, followed
    by a minimum of the offense, victim, and offender segments.
    2. Offenses. Count one offense for each victim of Crimes Against Persons and each unique offense
    type for Crimes Against Property and Crimes Against Society.
    3. Victims. Count one for each victim, i.e., a victim segment for each victim connected to each
    offense type in the incident (in a multiple-offense incident, a victim is counted for each
    connected offense type in a table reflecting offense categories).
    4. Known Offenders. Count one for each offender, i.e., an offender segment for each offender
    connected to each offense type in the incident.
    5. Arrestees. Count one for each arrestee, i.e., arrestee segment, reported in Group A and
    Group B Arrest Reports. NIBRS counts arrestees detained in connection with more than one
    incident only once.

User Tag List