Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New FBI info, Active Shooters

Site Supporter

New FBI info, Active Shooters

The FBI just released its report on active shooter events in 2021. The situation is not good. The number of events was up sharply from 2020, as was the total number of casualties. For details, see

https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-relea...idents-in-2021

Wonder how the rise in active shooters correlates with rise in general crime and the rise of soft on crime DA’s that let violent thugs run rampant?

I’ve often wondered what % of crimes labeled as active shooters were repeat offenders that should never have been in circulation to begin with vs the unknown crazy guy who goes off the deep end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Wonder how the rise in active shooters correlates with rise in general crime and the rise of soft on crime DA’s that let violent thugs run rampant?

I’ve often wondered what % of crimes labeled as active shooters were repeat offenders that should never have been in circulation to begin with vs the unknown crazy guy who goes off the deep end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm also curious on the background of the statistics, such as if there was a change in how information was collected or categorized.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm also curious on the background of the statistics, such as if there was a change in how information was collected or categorized.
    Agree.

Throw in nature / nurture...add a little heat, stress and permissiveness and conditions are rife for creating a maelstrom.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I suggest downloading the actual PDF. Always get closer to original sources when possible.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...021-052422.pdf

Interesting stuff:

The FBI and the ALERRT Center support the Don’t Name Them campaign. This campaign
    encourages media, law enforcement, and public information officers to shift
    their focus from the perpetrators of active shooter incidents toward the victims, survivors,
    and heroes who stopped them, as well as the communities that come together
    to help in the healing process. To learn more, visit dontnamethem.org.
    I wasn't aware that was a thing. Daily Wire is on it.

Twelve of the 61 incidents met the criteria cited in
    the federal definition of mass killings10 (three or
    more killings in a single incident
    ).11
    And the footnotes:
    10 Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, 28 USC § 530C(b)(1)(M)(i).
    11 The statute does not address the inclusion or exclusion of the shooter. The FBI does not include the shooter in its mass killing
    statistics.
    I thought the standard FBI criteria for a mass killing was four or more, not including the killer. This was apparently changed in 2012 under the Obama administration.

In the chart on p. 9, it has a chart of total casualties by year. If you subtract off the Las Vegas shooter from 2017, that leave 245, and the chart appears to be just random variation with no specific trend, except that 2020 is low, likely because people were hard to find in public. Same thing with the chart on p. 10 that splits it into killed and wounded.

Probably worth reading the whole report. And skip the press release.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Our city had a spike last year. This year, overall Murders are down, but overall number of given homicidal incidents is up. Fewer victims per incident.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I remain skeptical that a clear distinction is being made between "mass shootings" and "active shooters". Though the FBI definition listed in the document is closer to the definition we used previously (the suspect has shot someone, has access to more victims, and will continue to shoot people until stopped somehow), color me jaded when I say I don't entirely trust how the data is correlated.

Not to add insult to injury here—because I’m not expert enough to know—but this came through my inbox this week; seemingly indicating that crime might actually be worse. Y’all are welcome…

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/14/fbi...rting-failures
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Having read the report, I don't see how they could be hiding the ball. They are very clear and precise about what they are including and what they are not, and the procedure is the same as described in the 2000-2013 report. The last several pages of the report are a brief summary of each of the 61 incidents.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Not to add insult to injury here—because I’m not expert enough to know—but this came through my inbox this week; seemingly indicating that crime might actually be worse. Y’all are welcome…

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/14/fbi...rting-failures
    NIBRS, as a system, provides data that underreports crime to begin with too. With the old system, if you and three friends were eating lunch and I walked up and robbed all four of you, it would have been reported as four robberies. With NIBRS, since it’s based on the “incident,” it’s reported as one robbery because I robbed you all in a single “incident.”
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List