View Poll Results: EDC Light Battery Preference

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Primary cells (such as CR123) only. I can't be bothered fiddle-fucking with rechargeable batteries.

9 25.00%
  • Nothing rechargeable yet, but I'm open to the option.

2 5.56%
  • Rechargeable only, I'm done wasting money on throw-away batteries.

25 69.44%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Battery Preference

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Any recommended models/reputable vendors for unprotected cells? I found some high-drain unprotected KeepPower 18650s through Illumination Supply Company out of California. I've had good experience with KeepPower (their protected cells were originally included with Modlite products), but I'm always a little hesitant buying batteries from unknown retailers.
    Illumination Supply is 100% good to go, as are the Keeppower cells.

I also like these Orbtronic cells - https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18...btronic-li-ion
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Illumination Supply is 100% good to go, as are the Keeppower cells.

I also like these Orbtronic cells - https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18...btronic-li-ion
    Nice find, thanks. The KeepPowers were only 3200mAh.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Eneloops are your friend. - You can run store bought AA/AAAs if you run out of Eneloops. But the Eneloops have a higher capacity overall and can be recharged quickly. I've switched every AA/AAA device in the house to Eneloops and I'm happy for it.

My EDC and backup EDC lights are AAA (FourSevens Preon MKIII) and AA (an older Jetbeam MKII) respectively for this exact reason. Running Eneloops primarily, but I know I can grab some AA/AAAs at the local Wal-Mart if needed. Finding CR123s in some areas while traveling is about like trying to find clean water in Mexico. It's possible, but not probable.

I don't really want any more 'port rechargeable' items. The damn laptop and cellphone are enough.

___

For weapon lights, I'm running protected 18650s in long-guns, but still running a CR123 in my pistol light. That will change, either I'm switching over to a 18350-based pistol light or Surefire XC1/XC2 setup running AAAs.

I've looked at Ene loops and other rechargeables but in the end they are something else to maintain and keep up with. Realistically at the beginning of fire season I make sure to have a fresh store of batteries in my wildland pack and we know hurricanes are coming days in advanced so there is plenty of chances to stock up beforehand. Good Energizers keep well too.

Site Supporter

EDC Light Battery Preference

I have had many flashlights and other things ruined by leaking alkaline cells. All of the leaking cells were brands with good reputations. I now use alkaleaks as little as possible. The rare device which does not play well with Eneloops gets 1.5 volt lithium primaries.

The money is save by using Eneloops is not limited to the cost of batteries. It is also the cost of replacing ruined devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I am so far out of my lane and my depth on this topic. My main pocket light is an SL PT 1L-1AA. I buy CR123s 12 at a time and bulk packs of lithium AA and AAA batteries at Sams Club. Spare carriers for all three are in the g-ride, as cameras and other gear use AA or AAA as well.
    In uniform, an SL Strion is on my belt, and I've got an Ultrastinger.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I am so far out of my lane and my depth on this topic. My main pocket light is an SL PT 1L-1AA. I buy CR123s 12 at a time and bulk packs of lithium AA and AAA batteries at Sams Club. Spare carriers for all three are in the g-ride, as cameras and other gear use AA or AAA as well.
    In uniform, an SL Strion is on my belt, and I've got an Ultrastinger.
    Copy that! I'm still happy with my beat up SL Pro Tac for edc. What the F do I know. I'm still carrying a 1911.

JW

Follow-up question, more directed at weapon-mounted lights than handhelds. Would it make sense to have dedicated "training" and "duty/carry" batteries? Considering WML batteries take a beating due to recoil, especially on high round-count guns, I'm thinking there may be value in having one set of batteries that get used and abused during live fire practice, and another set of batteries that get vetted as reliable but then treated gently and used for duty or carry purposes when it's critical that they work. This would align with what some of us like to do with matched pairs of guns, one dedicated for carry, and one dedicated to get beat up on the range.

Good question.

Assuming spring contacts front and rear, and the use of unprotected cells (no circuit board), I don't think there would be enough stress from a shoulder fired weapon to be of concern.

That said, I've seen no data either way.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

What 18650s are people using on the Surefire M600 DF? SF says only use the SF battery to get the 1500 lumens. Anyone find a viable alternative?

Site Supporter
    @JAD

pat

User Tag List