View Poll Results: EDC Light Battery Preference

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Primary cells (such as CR123) only. I can't be bothered fiddle-fucking with rechargeable batteries.

9 25.00%
  • Nothing rechargeable yet, but I'm open to the option.

2 5.56%
  • Rechargeable only, I'm done wasting money on throw-away batteries.

25 69.44%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Battery Preference

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I voted for Primary cells, but not for the reason you assume
    Interested in your reason. :-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Interested in your reason. :-)

Compatibility across devices spread over multiple weapons and support equipment, including my EDC gear. "Dual Fuel" devices might be desirable, but there are none for the specific handhelds I use daily

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Compatibility across devices spread over multiple weapons and support equipment, including my EDC gear. "Dual Fuel" devices might be desirable, but there are none for the specific handhelds I use daily
    Makes sense, thanks for responding!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

My experience with rechargeable EDC lights has been mostly with small lights that have a fixed battery. Those have all died on me. I did use a rechargeable battery in one light, wasn't happy with its performance once the battery became worn. My experiences make me unenthusiastic about rechargeables. My main lights all accept 123's and I have spares stored in my kit and cars - not something you can really do with rechargeables since they don't handle long term storage in variable weather conditions, including cold weather. I have a light that stays in the house that I power solely with partially depleted primaries from other lights, so I don't have to throw away half used batteries. I really don't spend all that much on primaries, so I wonder if I would really save any noticeable amount going with rechargeables and having to periodically replace those. And when I take a new 123 out of its package I don't have to wonder how much capacity is left in it. (Yes, you can buy a tester and test your rechargeables, but that's more crap to buy and if you do get a tester, well, you can test your partially depleted 123's too.) And then there's the thing where not so good rechargeables can go up in smoke in a rather enthusiastic manner. I've got my CR123 supply chain figured out, I know what to buy and where I can get them from. Not sure how consistent the availability of better quality rechargeables is, especially if these times we live in become even more interesting.

In my mind the main thing rechargeables give you is more power. But since the application where more power is the most desired is with weapon mounted lights, now we're back to it needs to work even when exposed to the elements.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    My experience with rechargeable EDC lights has been mostly with small lights that have a fixed battery. Those have all died on me. I did use a rechargeable battery in one light, wasn't happy with its performance once the battery became worn.
    I concur 100% on integrated, non-replaceable rechargeable cells. While there are some good EDC lights available that use integrated cells, the cell can't be replaced and as you have mentioned, it's not unusual to have the cell die prematurely. Not being able to swap the cell quickly in the field when depleted is another major disadvantage of lights with a built-in battery.

Going back years, the old Ni-Cad cells sucked too. Many people who invested in those cells and chargers were left unimpressed and went back to primaries - including me.

The various Li-ion cells offered today are light years ahead of the old Ni-Cad cells. Many people don't realize this, but today's electric vehicles are powered by a huge bank of Li-ion 18650 or 21700 cells. Massive use (and production) of these cells have led to greatly improved performance, current handling and life while bringing the cost down. Every Li-ion cell I have purchased over the last 10 years for powering flashlights is still in-play.

As you mention, the high current and storage capability of Li-ion cells allows flashlight performance that simply can't happen with primary cells. It's reached a point that if you have to use CR123 batteries, you also have to leave some performance on the table. While most light manufacturers design their lights to remain compatible with primary cells, companies like Modlite are offering higher performance products that are designed for use with Li-ion cells only, including warnings NOT to use CR123 cells. Simply put, CR123 cells cannot support the current draw of these high performance lights. This is especially true in single cell (one CR123) size lights.

IMO, primaries still have a place in serious-use illumination tools, especially when long term storage and cold conditions are a concern. The Surefire G2 light that rides in the console of my car for emergency use is powered with primaries. But for an EDC light riding in my pocket, Li-ion cells reign supreme for providing maximum output, longer run time and long service life.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Going back years, the old Ni-Cad cells sucked too.
    While I definitely don't have the funds most PF people do and I do tend to use a little bit older gear, dude, I wasn't talking about the 1980's when I mentioned my previous EDC light. The battery was a modern Lithium ion one charged via an USB port (well, micro USB, so modernish...).

Rechargeable batteries are wear items. Each charge and discharge cycle decreases the capacity of the battery a little bit. Having 10 year old batteries still work is awesome but that certainly isn't what I experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    While I definitely don't have the funds most PF people do and I do tend to use a little bit older gear, dude, I wasn't talking about the 1980's when I mentioned my previous EDC light.
    No offense intended, I hope it wasn't taken that way.

I didn't think you were referring to Ni-Cads, I was just using it as a reference to how far rechargeable battery chemistry has evolved.

Nah, not offended, merely amused as I didn't understand the connection between the discussion and those Ni-Cads. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Need one more option. I carry a rechargeable only Surefire Stilleto Pro, but all my other lights especially for outdoors use have a rechargeable 18650/18350/CR123 with the option to then throw standard CR123s in if the main rechargeable battery dies in the field.
    This. I have multiple lights and various other electronics and everyone uses either rechargeable or standard batteries (mostly AA or CR123) I have a bunch of rechargeable and lithium batteries because of the benefits of rechargeables with power, less waste and ease of use but with the option of just throwing in a full battery if a charger, charged batteries are not readily available. I especially like AAs for this reason as I am in Europe for 10 weeks right now and AAs are always easy to find everywhere. Another travel issue is with Li Ion batteries when flying. You can also borrow AAs from many remotes and other devices in a pinch.

I didn’t vote because I’ve gone to rechargable batteries in lights that can accept primary batteries if need be. Presently pocket clipping a Powertac Valor (loaded with Eneloop AA batteries since you guys sold me on them).

https://www.powertacusa.com/Item/Valor

On the medium setting it’s allegedly 350 lumens and 800 on high. Many years ago a young deputy Rick would have loved it for duty carry compared to the light dujour.

I also pocket carry a glow in the dark four pack full of Eneloops and a single AA brass 245 lumen light with a twist to turn on head both from County Comm because dark happens.

My bump-in-the-dark lights are older Powertac E5 lights with 16650 or 18650 rechargeables with the option to go CR123.
    Last edited by Rick R; 06-19-2022 at 09:02 AM.

User Tag List