View Poll Results: EDC Light Battery Preference

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Primary cells (such as CR123) only. I can't be bothered fiddle-fucking with rechargeable batteries.

9 25.00%
  • Nothing rechargeable yet, but I'm open to the option.

2 5.56%
  • Rechargeable only, I'm done wasting money on throw-away batteries.

25 69.44%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Battery Preference

EDC Light Battery Preference

What's your preferred power source - primary cells (such as CR123) or Li-ion rechargeable cells?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    In general, li-ion for my EDC lights. L like being able to use them without worrying about the cost of batteries, as well as knowing I never have a good reason to carry a light with less than 80% of battery capacity remaining.

My family’s bike lights all use Li-ion or NiMH, and I install freshly charged cells after every ride for which the light was used. That use can go through a lot of cells quickly if they are not rechargeable.

I do prefer CR123 for weapon lights which are used rarely, or for exposure to cold, such as a light left in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I do prefer CR123 for weapon lights which are used rarely, or for exposure to cold, such as a light left in a car.
    That's exactly what I do as well!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I voted "Rechargeable only, I'm done wasting money on throw-away batteries.", but my reason doesn't have as much to do with money as the superior peak current of Li-ion cells.

For example the Orbtronic 16340 can deliver power at 3W vs 1W for a CR123 primary. Capacity is only 30% less than a primary: 3.2 vs. 4.6Wh. Rechargeables keep improving, and it won't be long before the capacity exceeds that of a primary. This little battery powers my 1100lumen one-cell Bodyguard2.

While I do keep primaries on hand as backups, I've found that stored Li-ion cells retain sufficient charge for a year or more (loss ~1 to 3% per month). I typically change the battery in my EDC once every couple months. A 3.5 Ah 18650 lasts so long I don't worry about most of them for a year or until a light gets dim.

Primaries are a pain in the ass because once they get used, I don't have an easy way to keep track of how much capacity remains.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-17-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I voted "Rechargeable only, I'm done wasting money on throw-away batteries.", but my reason doesn't have as much to do with money as the superior peak current of Li-ion cells.
    This is an important point often missed in regards to high output lights. Case in point;

Malkoff E2XT with current limiting to accept two CR123 cells, output = 500 lumens/55,000 candela

Malkoff E2XTD - same head with current limiting removed (D= direct drive) and limited to a single Li-ion cell (4.2 volts), output = 650 lumens/70,000 candela

Info here - https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...xt-3-4-6-volts

For maximum output, the high current capacity of Li-ion is the only way to roll.

Site Supporter
    I voted rechargeable only. Here lately I carry a light with a 16650 cell just because it’s slimmer and the output is adequate. It’s also mostly for utility purposes. But I go back and forth between that and 18650 lights.

Site Supporter
    Need one more option. I carry a rechargeable only Surefire Stilleto Pro, but all my other lights especially for outdoors use have a rechargeable 18650/18350/CR123 with the option to then throw standard CR123s in if the main rechargeable battery dies in the field.

I voted for Primary cells, but not for the reason you assume

Site Supporter
    RE: long term storage: While 18650 and 16650 cells seem to hold a charge for a very long time, 16350 cells do not seem to hold their charge well, even when stored outside of a light and in a box that prevents contact between the terminals and anything conductive.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    RE: long term storage: While 18650 and 16650 cells seem to hold a charge for a very long time, 16350 cells do not seem to hold their charge well, even when stored outside of a light and in a box that prevents contact between the terminals and anything conductive.
    I think that's mostly due to capacity - most 16340 cells are in the 700 - 800 mAh range, whereas 16650 is usually 2500 mAh and 18650 are 3500 mAh. They all discharge at the same rate, but the voltage drops faster in the smaller cell due to the lower storage capacity.

User Tag List