Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop in J-Frame DAO Bobbed Hammer?

Drop in J-Frame DAO Bobbed Hammer?

I have a S&W Model 60-10 that I'd like to convert to DAO with a bobbed hammer. I know I can have this work done to the stock hammer, but I'd prefer to have a drop-in and keep the original hammer in case I ever want to go back to stock. What is the easiest route for this? I'd also prefer to buy a hammer already in this configuration instead of just a spare 60-10 hammer that I then still have to have bobbed and remove the single action notch.

I've seen that a NYCPD*SP hammer exists, but the only site mentioned as carrying it is Numrich, and it is out of stock. Are there any other sources for this?
    Additionally, it only says Model: 60, 60-2, 60-3, 649, 649-1, 60-4, 60-5 would this work in a 60-10?

I swear I once saw someone here on P-F say they ordered an enclosed hammer part from S&W (ie a 442/642 or similar hammer) and installed it in an exposed hammer J-Frame to accomplish this; but I can't seem to find it now.
    Can anyone confirm this works?
    If so, what is the actual part number(s) I need to order?
    If you have pictures of how it looks that would be great also!

Thanks!

Can’t find my original thread, but look at post 20 here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....day-Gift/page2
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I have swapped a few hammers in various revolvers (only N-frame and K-frame) but it was never a drop in affair. There was always a bit of fitting that needed to be done. As long as your are comfortable with that you can grab just about any hammer made for your frame and put it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredW View Post
    I have a S&W Model 60-10 that I'd like to convert to DAO with a bobbed hammer. I know I can have this work done to the stock hammer, but I'd prefer to have a drop-in and keep the original hammer in case I ever want to go back to stock. What is the easiest route for this? I'd also prefer to buy a hammer already in this configuration instead of just a spare 60-10 hammer that I then still have to have bobbed and remove the single action notch.

I've seen that a NYCPD*SP hammer exists, but the only site mentioned as carrying it is Numrich, and it is out of stock. Are there any other sources for this?
    Additionally, it only says Model: 60, 60-2, 60-3, 649, 649-1, 60-4, 60-5 would this work in a 60-10?

I swear I once saw someone here on P-F say they ordered an enclosed hammer part from S&W (ie a 442/642 or similar hammer) and installed it in an exposed hammer J-Frame to accomplish this; but I can't seem to find it now.
    Can anyone confirm this works?
    If so, what is the actual part number(s) I need to order?
    If you have pictures of how it looks that would be great also!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Can’t find my original thread, but look at post 20 here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....day-Gift/page2
    Yes, that's what I remember seeing, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I have swapped a few hammers in various revolvers (only N-frame and K-frame) but it was never a drop in affair. There was always a bit of fitting that needed to be done. As long as your are comfortable with that you can grab just about any hammer made for your frame and put it in there.
    Thanks, I just ordered this to give it a go.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/26568010337...UAAOSwm99idWO8

Thanks, I just ordered this to give it a go.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/26568010337...UAAOSwm99idWO8

So I got the hammer in, no fitting was required.
    But I guess I was under the incorrect assumption that the internal hammers were DAO, I can still cock it and fire it in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredW View Post
    So I got the hammer in, no fitting was required.
    But I guess I was under the incorrect assumption that the internal hammers were DAO, I can still cock it and fire it in SA.
    What does it look like installed?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Here’s what mine looked like.

Name:  327FB730-E219-422A-BF89-767C293BA0A3.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  79C9DC42-1A31-4AF6-B5CF-32F799869EAE.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  40.4 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I followed in @Lon's foot steps after the post he linked too. My 637 has a 642 internal hammer installed. While there is indeed a single action capability, it's not truly feasable.

@SouthNarc I didnt know you were much of a revolver guy. Hope the hip heals well.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Name:  S&W60side.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  104.7 KBName:  S&W60hammer.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  53.6 KB

Thanks guys.

User Tag List