Thread: Ultradot on revolvers

Ultradot on revolvers

I know the Ultradot tube type's live long & happy lives on heavy recoiling revolvers but info on their L/T and Pan AV models is very scarce.

I also know there are big bore revolver shooters on this site that use their tube type, so it's a long shot but does anybody have experience with the L/T or Pan AV models? If so tell me your thoughts.
    I'm looking for reliability, on a 329PD.

If that info isn't available and it's probably not, anybody that wants to enlighten a cat just entering "red dot on a fast recoiling revolver" land on the current solid, reliable options?
    It seems the lack of slide recip would make for an easier life for a revolver sight. But my knowledge level is low to non existant.

The gun gets carried all day every day, primarily because of the large animals I'm in the vicinity of.

I've been shooting dots on my revolvers for almost 30 years starting with the tube style and now the reflex sights. Both work great and it seems more people are using reflex sights now then tubes.

The Ultra Dot is a fantastic sight. I think it's dear near perfect for Bullseye but for faster acquisition the reflex is a better choice. Reason is you have more of a point of view of your target and surroundings. You can get a small 3 MOA dot for accuracy and can go up to 16 MOA on a C-More sight for speed shooting.

Here's my lastest revolver with a C-More and a 12 MOA dot which suits my needs for Steel Challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks AZShooter, I'm specifically asking about the Ultradot's that aren't tube type.
    I really don't have space to carry around a tube red dot

https://ultradotusa.com/product/ultradot-pan-av/

https://ultradotusa.com/product/ultradot-l-t/

I know several people use the Pan AV on 50 caliber hunting single actions, but I'd rather have a "circle-dot" than just a dot.

How has the Cmore worked out for you? The one you're using is way too big for my use but I've seen regular sized Cmores.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 06-16-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Based on my experience with the Match Dot, I’d be willing to take a chance on their reflex optics. I mean, I haven’t done anything crazy or over the top with my MD but I picked it up based on their reputation and haven’t been disappointed.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I know the Ultradot tube type's live long & happy lives on heavy recoiling revolvers but info on their L/T and Pan AV models is very scarce.

I also know there are big bore revolver shooters on this site that use their tube type, so it's a long shot but does anybody have experience with the L/T or Pan AV models? If so tell me your thoughts.
    I'm looking for reliability, on a 329PD.

If that info isn't available and it's probably not, anybody that wants to enlighten a cat just entering "red dot on a fast recoiling revolver" land on the current solid, reliable options?
    It seems the lack of slide recip would make for an easier life for a revolver sight. But my knowledge level is low to non existant.

The gun gets carried all day every day, primarily because of the large animals I'm in the vicinity of.
    For a steel frame revolver maybe.

For a 329 that is going to be used as a carry gun, My first choice would be an Aimpoint ICE ERO on the Apex mount that replaces the rear sight.

Second choice would be a Trijicon RMR type 2.

The Aimpoint ICE ERO has a close the mirror and during product development they were tested on 40 caliber Glock’s so they are fairly resistant to recoil and G forces.

I’ve been shooting ultra-Dot products since the early 90s, they are nice Optics for Range And Target guns but they are not built with the usage you propose.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For a steel frame revolver maybe.

For a 329 that is going to be used as a carry gun, My first choice would be an Aimpoint ICE ERO on the Apex mount that replaces the rear sight.

Second choice would be a Trijicon RMR type 2.

The Aimpoint ICE ERO has a close the mirror and during product development they were tested on 40 caliber Glock’s so they are fairly resistant to recoil and G forces.

I’ve been shooting ultra-Dot products since the early 90s, they are nice Optics for Range And Target guns but they are not built with the usage you propose.
    I'm not finding a "Aimpoint ICE ERO", not even on Aimpoint's site, did you mean to type "Acro"?

Site Supporter
    I'm not finding a "Aimpoint ICE ERO", not even on Aimpoint's site, did you mean to type "Acro"?
    Yes - that’s what I typed the god damn auto correct changed it.

With the ACRO P2 coming out you can likely find a deal on a used P1 if you are willing to change batteries monthly. If not get the P2.

Yes - that’s what I typed the god damn auto correct changed it.

With the ACRO P2 coming out you can likely find a deal on a used P1 if you are willing to change batteries monthly. If not get the P2.
    Your 1st choice is Acro, 2nd is RMR so I'm guessing you're main criteria is reliability/sturdiness as one is enclosed emitter and one is open, am I correct? As opposed to being pro enclosed?

I'd really like a circle dot reticle but I avoid china made to the best of my ability. The Ultradots are made presumably in Japan but now I hear that might not be true, the one Ultradot does have a circle dot.

I'm willing to spend more to avoid monthly battery changes.

Site Supporter
    Your 1st choice is Acro, 2nd is RMR so I'm guessing you're main criteria is reliability/sturdiness as one is enclosed emitter and one is open, am I correct? As opposed to being pro enclosed?

I'd really like a circle dot reticle but I avoid china made to the best of my ability. The Ultradots are made presumably in Japan but now I hear that might not be true, the one Ultradot does have a circle dot.

I'm willing to spend more to avoid monthly battery changes.
    For the type of daily carry you’re talking about a closed emitter is an advantage.

The RMR requires dismounting the sight for battery changes.

The ACROs do not. The P2 uses the same CR 2032 battery as the RMR and has similar battery life.

I like circle dot on long guns but in my experience that doesn’t translate to liking them on pistols.

For the type of daily carry you’re talking about a closed emitter is an advantage.

The RMR requires dismounting the sight for battery changes.

The ACROs do not. The P2 uses the same CR 2032 battery as the RMR and has similar battery life.

I like circle dot on long guns but in my experience that doesn’t translate to liking them on pistols.
    OK, helpful info there for sure.

User Tag List