Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pin Shoot Central Lake MI

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Being a retired Engineer, I thought I would apply some basic physics to the Pin Shoot.

WARNING! MATH AHEAD!!!

We went to an antique show this weekend, and what did I find but a used bowling pin. It stands 15” high and weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. Looking online at the standards for pins, it matches up in height (15” is correct), and is close for weight (the standard is 3 lbs 8 oz, apparently).
    Just FYI modern pins are multi-component layer construction. Probably won’t change the CG much but might still be worth checking your local craigslist for used pins retired from alleys.

I bought 100 to donate to my club that way for very, very cheap.

WARNING

SEVERE ENGINEERING OVERTHINKING AHEAD

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

So I'm in the process of turning my garage into a Pin Shoot Dry Practice Area. I used the newly available Pin Table and Pin Set Specifications *.pdf file and sketched out a "table" on the inside of my garage door with blue painter's tape. I then created up a couple "Pin" targets that could hang. I'd set out a "USPSA Stage" previously, so I have all the magnetic hooks already, and confirmed the start distance between where my "bench" is and the face of the target/pin.

Name:  IMG_1627.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  44.9 KB

During a recent regular range session, I took the above "pin" targets and ran them out to 26' to get some practice. It worked well enough as a simulation of the pin table, well at least as best I can do since I don't have access to a pin range. I also made up some 1/2 scale pin targets, placing them closer still (about 13') but since they were smaller, it was pretty close to shooting at the normal distance. I got some good practice on these as well. Fun day at the range and a little more interesting than shooting B-8s.

Name:  IMG_1644.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  39.2 KB

Still pondering what my par time for Dry Practice should be. The winner of 2021 Stock Gun in Ordinary Standard Shooter (OSS) had a total time of 28.6s, for an average of 5.7 seconds per table, assuming the best five runs. The 10th place finisher had 39.6s, for a 7.9s table average. I finished 43rd, out of 89 total OSS shooters, with a 60.6s total, 12.1 average.

Link to "full size" pin targets in printable target thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1423303

Same, for the "half size" printable targets:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1423304

WARNING

SEVERE ENGINEERING OVERTHINKING AHEAD

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

So I'm in the process of turning my garage into a Pin Shoot Dry Practice Area. I used the newly available Pin Table and Pin Set Specifications *.pdf file and sketched out a "table" on the inside of my garage door with blue painter's tape. I then created up a couple "Pin" targets that could hang. I'd set out a "USPSA Stage" previously, so I have all the magnetic hooks already, and confirmed the start distance between where my "bench" is and the face of the target/pin.

During a recent regular range session, I took the above "pin" targets and ran them out to 26' to get some practice. It worked well enough as a simulation of the pin table, well at least as best I can do since I don't have access to a pin range. I also made up some 1/2 scale pin targets, placing them closer still (about 13') but since they were smaller, it was pretty close to shooting at the normal distance. I got some good practice on these as well. Fun day at the range and a little more interesting than shooting B-8s.

Still pondering what my par time for Dry Practice should be. The winner of 2021 Stock Gun in Ordinary Standard Shooter (OSS) had a total time of 28.6s, for an average of 5.7 seconds per table, assuming the best five runs. The 10th place finisher had 39.6s, for a 7.9s table average. I finished 43rd, out of 89 total OSS shooters, with a 60.6s total, 12.1 average.

From a shooting training standpoint, you’d be best served by aiming and hitting 2” circles on demand and off transitions.

If you insist on shooting a mock pin target, you’d be best served by only accepting hits in this area in dry and in live fire.

Name:  C6EB91DD-A030-4774-AA92-A56221DC1677.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  23.2 KB

Edges are a no no because of pin spin.

Only allow yourself one shot per pin in practice because if you graze it, it won’t be in the same place for the follow up shot. And like steel challenge, you’re going for lack of misses for the best possible performance within your skill set.

The dry par time doesn’t matter. What matters is that you can call and execute your shots.

So instead of working from the winner’s time on down, you should work with your skill set and build up. Because wherever you’re at is wherever you’re at.

It’s like USPSA or steel challenge, if you’re a D class shooter it doesn’t matter what the GM or peak time is. You have to work on your fundamentals of trigger press and shot calling at speed and improve those skills to get your best result at the match.

If you set up a mock pin shoot with your targets and only count hits in the oval I drew and only count strings where you go one-for-one, that’s your current skill baseline and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I suspect you'll see more than one of us, Joe. "Welcome to the club!"
    Looking forward to it Mas.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Thanks @Mas . Your writing about the event for as long as I can remember is a big reason I wanted to attend.
    Absolutely. Mas' article on the 2022 shoot is below:

https://www.thearmorylife.com/spring...022-pin-shoot/

Doing some early planning for our trip this summer in the Airstream, to include The Pin Shoot in June. We are still planning to stay at the same RV Park in Petoskey. I will make a point to get to the range in Central Lake for both practice days though (Saturday and Sunday) this time.

I have my "Stock Gun" (a Springfield Garrison 1911/.45ACP) just about where I want it. I've been working on taking it apart and putting it back together lately, as part of my goal in understanding how 1911s work. So I am just about there. Since it's of interest to me, I have replaced quite a few of the internals with upgraded parts; the cost for a set of WC Bulletproof parts is not large, and it is part of my personal development in learning. And besides it's fun.

One functional change I'm making is to experiment with a short pad trigger. I've found that with the standard pad that comes with the gun, I can't quite get my trigger finger flat across the shoe. So I think I am possibly steering rounds at the break. I've ordered a WC short pad competition trigger/bow and will install that to see how it affects accuracy. My plan is that this will better match my Medium hands/finger length better. As soon as the next batch of parts comes in, I'll install all that and get back to shooting and dry practice (we moved house recently so things have been up in the air a lot for me lately.)

For ammo I think I'm going to standardize on Federal American Eagle 230 ball and call it a day. Trying to vet the gun for JHP "for me" is probably not worth the effort, and expensive, too. The AE230 runs well and I have enough of it that I can practice and shoot the match with it, make sure all my mags run (I have a mix of WC ETM and CM RPM 8 rounders) perfectly.

I also plan to bring my P365X and will shoot it in the new "Stock Minor" division they have for 9mm. Dots are not allowed in Stock Minor, so I will shoot it with my original iron-sighted P365X slide with the FCU in my P365XL Wilson Combat weighted grip module. SM is a new division they added for 2023. Should be fun.

Looking again at last year's results, I'm going to set a goal in dry practice of 8s. That shaves 4 seconds off my shooting time from last year, but I think it is doable. Obviously I can't miss, so I will be focusing on accurate shots and at the same time speeding up the transitions, pin to pin. An 8 second average per table, for five (it's best five out of six) tables, would put me just inside the top 10 finishers for OSS, which would be a big improvement over 43rd. That is not going to be easy, but I think as a goal it is a realistic one, if I do the work.

Site Supporter
    I was also under the impression some type of wadcutter would knock the pins over much more reliably, but not a huge pin shooter.

Speer Lawman makes a 230 grain TMJ Flat Nose that is quality if you go that route. Much cheaper than an HP.

@RJ watching this with interest. If it helps with your modeling at all, one of my ranges has a pin shoot practice area with a 3 foot deep table.

If you like, I can place pasters on different places on the pins and take slow motion video to determine what happens with different area hits. My impression is that COG or slightly under COG have the best chance of clearing the 3 foot table.

Any hit that doesn’t clear the table could eat up a ton of time. I also own a bunch of things in 45 ACP. Let me know if anything would be helpful.

I feel like that could be helpful for your dry fire practice to really cone down the 1-shot clearance hit location and what happens when something is hit off COG.

Thanks all, I appreciate the suggestions, including the PM @Mas. The whole 1911 thing is a voyage of self-discovery for me, so I'll see how things go in January and make adjustments. I did find a sale on some Hornady XTP 230 JHP +p (950 fps, smokes!), so I ordered a small quantity to try after I get the last set of WC parts installed (the small size trigger pad/bow, a WC BP disco, and a WC BP sear spring to play with.) I'll come back in a month or so with an update.

Gratuitous picture of the Garrison at the moment:

Name:  IMG_1817.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  100.2 KB

Kidding! I did manage to get it all back together after this was taken. no parts left over and no springs launched into orbit.

User Tag List