Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pin Shoot Central Lake MI

A 6 shot revolver is workable in this?

The only time Ive shot pins is just practicing back when dad was shooting. I never made it to an actual pin shoot. It was quite a lot of fun though just in practice shooting.

Any reason you would not be allowed to shoot a single action revolver?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

The only time Ive shot pins is just practicing back when dad was shooting. I never made it to an actual pin shoot. It was quite a lot of fun though just in practice shooting.

Any reason you would not be allowed to shoot a single action revolver?
    A six shot revolver works fine, in a “major” caliber such as .45 acp. I did some good work in the old days with a modified 625. Light loaded .44 magnum is a great choice as well. Not sure about current rules but you used to be allowed a second revolver as a reload.

Single action is probably too slow to win unless you’re a cowboy action shooting god but it’s likely legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shooter View Post
    By all means shoot what you're comfortable with, but don't sell the wheelguns short. I have it from reliable sources that one of the main events was won two years running by a shooter with a 3" S&W .357 revolver.
    There used to be a side match for 3” guns, but doubtful the main event would be competitive with a small gun.

Just a point of order, I erred in the URL of the Pin Shoot, the correct address is:

www.pinshoot.com

Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A six shot revolver works fine, in a “major” caliber such as .45 acp. I did some good work in the old days with a modified 625. Light loaded .44 magnum is a great choice as well. Not sure about current rules but you used to be allowed a second revolver as a reload.

Single action is probably too slow to win unless you’re a cowboy action shooting god but it’s likely legal.
    I wouldnt really be concerned with winning, (unless there was an SA revolver class) Im more interested in using guns I like and carry and having fun.

Ive shot Ruger 45 Colts mainly, 250gr @ 925 fps. I shot a 5 plate steel plate shoot with one, my time was almost exactly what my time was with a Smith 19 with 38 spl loads. I managed to stay in the upper 1/3 of the times. It was great fun. I only needed the 6th shot a couple times, mostly it wasnt required to hit 5 plates in a reasonable time. If i can find my time sheet Ill see what it was. If I actually practiced I may do better, but I sure wouldnt let that stop me.

I believe I had better times with the SA than with a 1911 so long as a reload wasnt required. Ive never been able to shoot a 1911 or other auto as well as revolvers despite really trying for some time.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

“Stock Gun” includes the words “or a revolver with iron sights and maximum barrel length of 8 3/4" so I don’t see why not.

Ive shot Ruger 45 Colts mainly, 250gr @ 925 fps.
    That’s an ideal pin load!

If it works for you, no reason not to go for it.

I shot a local pin match a few years ago with a “magnum “ class that used the shot up pins from all the prior relays at the end of the day. Including the shotgun pins which are punky inside and heavy. I was shooting a 629, hard cast 240gr at 1000 fps and left two pieces. Guy next to me was shooting a Blackhawk with full house magnums. He left one pin, needless to say I won the reloading battle.

That’s an ideal pin load!

If it works for you, no reason not to go for it.

I shot a local pin match a few years ago with a “magnum “ class that used the shot up pins from all the prior relays at the end of the day. Including the shotgun pins which are punky inside and heavy. I was shooting a 629, hard cast 240gr at 1000 fps and left two pieces. Guy next to me was shooting a Blackhawk with full house magnums. He left one pin, needless to say I won the reloading battle.
    Sounds like good fun!

No way an SA revolver can keep up with a DA in reload time, but they arent quite as bad as generally made out to be. The gun can be cleared in 2-3 seconds. Pulling two rds at a time from a cartridge belt reduces fumble factor. Ive not really done it as a practice ritual for speed other than just kicking them out on the ground until Im done shooting, but as a kid shooting scads of 22 in an SA it became fairly simple to clear expeditiously and proceed to refilling the gun to continue blasting. A couple things done to the gun help with ejector reach though.

One of the few cowboy shoots I did, I tied at the end with a guy with a stop plate left. I kicked all the empties out and put two fresh rds in, shot the plate, and he was still fumbling to get empties out and figure out what to do next. I think reloading SAs is mostly neglected as hopeless, or people are more concerned with their brass getting dirty on the ground. I suppose its rather like reloading an auto, some may feel its not be a real requirement to speed reload on the street, but you have to do it anyway to keep shooting, so why not make it consistent and efficient?
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

There used to be a side match for 3” guns, but doubtful the main event would be competitive with a small gun.
    There are four main events currently. The Concealed Carry event REQUIRES a maximum of a 4" barrel.

https://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic....p=69380#p69377

For those interested this is Ned Christiansen’s post on the pin shoot.

User Tag List