Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pin Shoot Central Lake MI

Being a retired Engineer, I thought I would apply some basic physics to the Pin Shoot.

WARNING! MATH AHEAD!!!

We went to an antique show this weekend, and what did I find but a used bowling pin. It stands 15” high and weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. Looking online at the standards for pins, it matches up in height (15” is correct), and is close for weight (the standard is 3 lbs 8 oz, apparently).

I wanted to use this pin to work up some Dry Practice setups, and also figure out the splits for a winning time next year.

I started by working up a spreadsheet. First, I entered the paramters for the bullet (.45 ACP, 230 grains) and the assumed weight of the pin (3.5 lb), plus a few useful constants for later:

Name:  pin1.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  48.6 KB

The first thing I wanted to do was work how long it would take for the last pin to hit the ground, after it’s shot. This is important, since the score timer doesn’t stop until the pin hits the ground. Since the force of gravity (vertical) and the pin moving backwards (horizontal) are independent, all I have to do is use the Newtonian motion calculation for time of drop, from arbitrary height H.

Name:  pin2.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  33.6 KB

I plugged in 7’ for average height of the pins. The prediction is a pin will take just under 0.7s to fall to the ground, from that height.

Now, with the winning time this year of around 5.4s in mind, I can now allocate a time budget, consisting of:

1) time to first pin
    2) splits for pins 2 to 5, and finally
    3) the time to fall prediction,

for an overall “time budget” for dry practice:

Name:  pin3.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  38.7 KB

Last piece of data, and this was done empirically, based on the bowling standards, but I found a source that stated the C of G of the standard bowling pin was 5.71” from the bottom of the pin. I took my “sample” pin and marked where that should be.

Mathematically, hitting the C of G should theoretically result in the most horizontal motion of the pin, with the least amount of force vector imparted rotationally. It’s not quite “center of the white part”, but pretty close. I’l use this point for an aiming mark.

Name:  IMG_1164.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  41.0 KB

So, there you have it. When I get back to FL, I will set this pin out in the garage, add some paper copies, and have a method to practice to do better in the match next year.

The Gamer in me wants to know if shooting the pin on the bottom shelf last would be fastest?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    The Gamer in me wants to know if shooting the pin on the bottom shelf last would be fastest?
    It would, in and of itself. The reason many of us shoot the bottom first is primarily that the top ones can land on the bottom table and knock over the "shoot" pins, there, making them much harder to hit than when they're standing up. Also, the more "deadwood" pins you have rolling around that bottom table, the more likely they are to bump over a "no-shoot" pin, which is a brutal time penalty.

It's also a very tiny bit faster to come up from the start position (low ready, gun on the rail in front of you about waist high or a little lower) and get on the bottom row than the farther gun travel to the top row.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Being a retired Engineer, I thought I would apply some basic physics to the Pin Shoot.

WARNING! MATH AHEAD!!!

Werds fancy pants charts and other stuff that makes muh head hurt
    Name:  nerds.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  22.1 KB

Actually I think that's a very well done breakdown. It's way more dedication and analysis that I have the patience for.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    You know, there are both two- and three-person team pin events you can shoot. Just sayin'.
    Just signed up for 2023. Hope to see some of you there!

I suspect you'll see more than one of us, Joe. "Welcome to the club!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I suspect you'll see more than one of us, Joe. "Welcome to the club!"
    Thanks @Mas . Your writing about the event for as long as I can remember is a big reason I wanted to attend.

@Randy Harris and I are in the planning stages for attending this year. Even though it is on the same state as me, it is still a drive.

I went to the original Second Chance Shoot for 10 years.
    Shot an old .45, then a custom pin gun, then a couple of S&W
    .41 Magnums. Then managed one, or two, trips to The Pin Shoot.

Et up with a lot of medical nonsense these days.
    May not make it this coming year, either.
    I will envy those who make it to Central Lake and hear
    "Shooters ready..." next summer.

Will even miss the excuses for leaving pins standing.
    I made a few of those myself back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Just signed up for 2023. Hope to see some of you there!
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    @Randy Harris and I are in the planning stages for attending this year. Even though it is on the same state as me, it is still a drive.
    Outstanding.

I've got my registration in. Currently plan to shoot Stock Gun with my Springfield Garrison, and the new "Stock Minor" main event, with my P365X stuffed into a Macro grip module, with an XL slide on top. Most likely scenario for us for 2023, since we'll be in Michigan in June with the travel trailer, is I'll drive down from our RV Park in Petoskey to the range each day.

Looking forward to it.

User Tag List