Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pin Shoot Central Lake MI

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

I love pin shooting the very most, and I’m thrilled that this is an event that exists. Next June!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post

I keep forgetting about this, I’m not that far except there’s a lake in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Thanks for the excellent write up. I've been trying to make it to this event for years. Hopefully next year I can make it work.
    You know, there are both two- and three-person team pin events you can shoot. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    While there is no doubt the 1911+.45 ACP is a proven performer, and effective, “for me”, it probably makes more sense to buy a Glock, either in .45 (Glock 21SF?) or 10mm (Glock 20?).
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Second, the .45 Auto Glocks are huge and 2x4 like. I would definitely evaluate other options before committing.
    I think the M&P 45 is often overlooked.

Central Lake Michigan is a small village located on the upper West side of Michigan, about 45 miles North of Traverse City. Since we were traveling in the area in our RV, we opted to stay at the local Thurston Park RV park, in the village overlooking the lake. It is just 4 miles or so to the range.

The weather in Michigan in June is very pleasant. We had a mild mix of sun, clouds and some rain. The high was on Wednesday with an unusual peak of 89F; the other days of the week were in the 70s and 80s.
    This is why I want an RV. Oh yeah, and be retired...

Site Supporter
    That would probably cause me to lean towards a .45 Glock then. If not a G41, then perhaps a G21SF.
    I can't speak for the 41 or the 30SF mind you, but I think the 21s I've shot (both a gen 3 and a Gen 4) have shown accuracy that equals or surpasses the average 1911 up to the level of guns like Dan Wesson or Rock River, that cost 1800-1900 bucks, where you start getting into guns that actually have some level of barrel and bushing fit, at which point the 1911s just get silly with how accurate they are.

But it is no rare feat to shoot a 100/100 score on a B8 at 25 yards with a G21. I bought a police trade in last month and the first 10 rounds I fired were a 98/100 and that's just me, a profoundly average shooter.

I've heard the G30 tends to be extremely accurate as well.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I went to the Second Chance Pin Shoot for years.
    My oldest son shot with me for a while.

Was glad to hear that The Pin Shoot was going on.
    Called my son but he wasn't interested in starting up again.

Made two events, solo, then got blindsided by medical stuff.
    If I can get my stamina back up I will shoot pins at Central
    Lake again. If not, I have years of good memories. And some
    memories of Richard Davis telling bad jokes.

"Shooters ready! Guns on the rail!"

Thought I would do some noodling on the results from Practiscore from the Stock Gun (Main Event).

There are two classes of shooter, ‘Ordinary Standard’ (OS) and ‘Master Blaster (MB)’. As a newcomer I was in OS. My actual time, penalties and all, was 60.6s, placing 42nd out of 85 in OS Class.

But look at it this way: Of the six Tables I shot, my two best times were 8.70s and 7.50s, an average of 8.10. (My other four runs were scored as maxed out ‘15’s’, which means something bad happened — brain fart, missed pins, whatever.). If you extrapolate my average out to five runs, 5x8.1s would total 40.5s. A 40.5s aggregate would have put me at 15th of 85 in OS Class, this year. 15th.

This year’s winning time for Stock Gun, OS Class, was 28.60s, a five table average of 5.72s. To win Stock Gun in OS, I need to find 8.10 - 5.72 = 2.38s of time per run. For purposes of Dry Practice, therefore, I need to set up a ‘Pin Table’ at home this winter and set my timer to 5.5s. Oh and not miss. Piece of cake.

Since I’ll be shooting next year in ‘Stock Gun’, I need some input on selecting a gun. The rules state ‘Stock’ is:

Semi-automatic handguns with iron sights and a maximum barrel length of 5 inches or a revolver with iron sights and maximum barrel length of 8 3/4". Using a Stock gun competitors are limited to 8 rounds per gun to start but reload capacity is unlimited.

Permitted Modifications Include:
    Non-slip grip and frame treatments
Adjustable sights, including night sights and fiber optic sights
Replacement recoil spring systems, provided they do not extend beyond the original dimensions of the pistol.
Trigger modifications that are safe and function properly.
Barrel porting (example: Mag-Na-Port)

Not Permitted:
    Muzzle brakes and compensators
Scopes
Holographic / red dot optics
Lasers of any kind

Naturally for me this will be a semi-auto, due to my overwhelming % time shooting a SA. Most likely a FO since it is an outdoor event.

The pins being pretty heavy, a 9mm will not work. Most everyone shooting was using a .45 ACP 1911 of some kind. I tried a 1911, but the SA action / safety was not familiar to me. I don’t see buying a 1911 because:reasons, so am looking at either SFA or DA/SA options. The competition hugely depends on accurate first hits, so burdening me (a SFA shooter) with learning a DA press doesn’t seem like a good idea, so SFA is left.

The SFA, .45 pistols I know of, in brands I would trust, include Glock 41, 21, and 21SF, the Sig P320 .45, full size and carry and the M&P 2.0.

Am I missing any other good .45s from the above?

RJ, I thought you shot great for a first time with a 1911 .45.

For a polymer striker .45, the Glock 21 meets the rules but the Glock 41's barrel is 0.3" too long, similar problem with the 5.25" Springfield XDM. The Springfield XD45 in its LE variation, a 5.0" barrel according to the catalog, would be legal. Polymer and striker-fired, the XD has a shorter reach to the trigger than the Glock 21, as does the S&W M&P .45.

The double action SIG P220, particularly in all steel like the P220ST, is a very sweet gun with a very nice single action trigger. At the Pin Shoot you are allowed to start with the hammer cocked, so at least for that application a P220 would be no handicap.

I don't have an M&P .45 on hand but if we can get together sometime before the next shoot, you can try my P220s and XD45s. I also have Glock 20 and Springfield XDM 10mms on hand; the latter, with the shorter barrel option, would be legal for Stock in the Pin Shoot as would the standard G20. Factory 10mm ammo potent enough to take pins off is thin on the ground and expensive, however, but I know you were thinking of exploring that caliber, and you have time to stock up before Pin Shoot 2023.

A visit to a range with a well-stocked pistol rental counter might be in order.

It was great spending quality time with you and your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    RJ, I thought you shot great for a first time with a 1911 .45.

For a polymer striker .45, the Glock 21 meets the rules but the Glock 41's barrel is 0.3" too long, similar problem with the 5.25" Springfield XDM. The Springfield XD45 in its LE variation, a 5.0" barrel according to the catalog, would be legal. Polymer and striker-fired, the XD has a shorter reach to the trigger than the Glock 21, as does the S&W M&P .45.

The double action SIG P220, particularly in all steel like the P220ST, is a very sweet gun with a very nice single action trigger. At the Pin Shoot you are allowed to start with the hammer cocked, so at least for that application a P220 would be no handicap.

I don't have an M&P .45 on hand but if we can get together sometime before the next shoot, you can try my P220s and XD45s. I also have Glock 20 and Springfield XDM 10mms on hand; the latter, with the shorter barrel option, would be legal for Stock in the Pin Shoot as would the standard G20. Factory 10mm ammo potent enough to take pins off is thin on the ground and expensive, however, but I know you were thinking of exploring that caliber, and you have time to stock up before Pin Shoot 2023.

A visit to a range with a well-stocked pistol rental counter might be in order.

It was great spending quality time with you and your wife.
    Awesome, thanks Mas. That is great input and gives me a lot to chew on.

Ditto on the meet; I had a blast, and it was a pleasure spending time with you and your better half.

Naturally for me this will be a semi-auto, due to my overwhelming % time shooting a SA. Most likely a FO since it is an outdoor event.
    By all means shoot what you're comfortable with, but don't sell the wheelguns short. I have it from reliable sources that one of the main events was won two years running by a shooter with a 3" S&W .357 revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shooter View Post
    By all means shoot what you're comfortable with, but don't sell the wheelguns short. I have it from reliable sources that one of the main events was won two years running by a shooter with a 3" S&W .357 revolver.
    This is easily one of the most wheelgun friendly forums on the internet.
    #RESIST

User Tag List